X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning the language of the land you live

how important is it to learn to learn language of the land

Re: Learning the language of the land you live

a common problem in the Middle eastis the large Asian work force, who are not allowed to go school because they are not part of Arab leage many if not most muslim. We find Brothers and Sisters from the sub-continant that have lived in the middle east for over 30 years and still do not speak Arabic well.
    which adds i believe to the dislike there is against them

Or in Cardiff and Liverpool the Somalis that have lived there since the early 60's and strangely speak almost no english at times .

there plenty of examples like the above but yet people do not learn the language of that country
    Last edited by hamza89; 28-10-10, 12:48 PM.

Comment

-to read documentation :ID, rent contracts, bills
      -to direct yourself in town/city : how do read maps and stations?
      - if Allah forbids you are ill how do you explain your pain to the doctor if you don't know the language?

It is the same in France, 40 years and yet don't know how to read and write or speak French, i mean how do you just do the basics like shopping food? My friend's mother doesn't speak French very well, and doesn't read, her children read the mails to her and do the administration tasks, it makes you so dependant seriously just take classes
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

It depends on a persons environment as they grow up. My mum has lived here for nearly 35 years but she can barely speak English. The reason being she doesn't need to as all the men do all the outside work. There was never any real need for her to learn the language as others could do the jobs that required it.

On the other hand, I have family who migrated here and learned the language quickly because they lived in an environement where they needed it to get by.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
          It depends on a persons environment as they grow up. My mum has lived here for nearly 35 years but she can barely speak English. The reason being she doesn't need to as all the men do all the outside work. There was never any real need for her to learn the language as others could do the jobs that required it.

On the other hand, I have family who migrated here and learned the language quickly because they lived in an environement where they needed it to get by.
          The above argument is what i hear from people who work in Saudi and don't speak arabic.

Comment

Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
            The above argument is what i hear from people who work in Saudi and don't speak arabic.
            But isn't this found in people from all backgrounds. I wouldn't be suprised if the expatriates from the UK in Dubai and the Gulf could barely speak Arabic.

Obviously its better and a sign of respect to learn the language of the land but it depends on your priorities over there.

Comment

its really important, i dont like the fact that my mum cannot speak english. she knows enough to get her by but after being here for 28 odd years and making her home here she should be fluent. when she first arrived she went to english classes but then stopped. its the same with the large majority of female relatives my mums age who werent born here.
              glass half empty

Comment

If ur goin to another country, then u need to learn the language...otherwise wats the point in being there? Are u just gonna cut urself off from the rest of the country?
                Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

my in laws live in tenerife and my father in law is quite proud of the fact that he doesnt speak a word of spanish. i live in wales all my life and my familiy have allways lived here. i cant speak welsh and im a bit embarressed about it. im gonna learn though.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post
                    But isn't this found in people from all backgrounds. I wouldn't be suprised if the expatriates from the UK in Dubai and the Gulf could barely speak Arabic.

Obviously its better and a sign of respect to learn the language of the land but it depends on your priorities over there.
                    yeah loads of expats in the gulf don't speak Arabic. i'm trying my best to learn though I try to speak Arabic every day inshaAllah, and watch kids TV in arabic

انا اتكلم العربية كل يوم ان شاء الله
                    Last edited by dhak1yya; 28-10-10, 06:46 PM.
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]
                    [CENTER]
                    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
                      my in laws live in tenerife and my father in law is quite proud of the fact that he doesnt speak a word of spanish. i live in wales all my life and my familiy have allways lived here. i cant speak welsh and im a bit embarressed about it. im gonna learn though.
                      diolch yn fawr. dhakiyya dewi :hidban:. dim parkio.

that and a rude expression that i won't type is the limit of my welsh. i lived there for just under a year.

ngi thanda wena <--- reps for anyone who can say what language that is and what it means :hidban: (not directed at anyone specific btw!!!)
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                        yeah loads of expats in the gulf don't speak Arabic. i'm trying my best to learn though I try to speak Arabic every day inshaAllah, and watch kids TV in arabic

انا اتكلم عربي كل توم ان شاء اللة
                        أنا أتكلم العربية كل يوم ان شاء الله
                        islamway
                        اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

skukran!!! I'll go and edit inshaAllah 9still getting used to the arabic keyboard!! plus I'm dyslexic.

edit: is it correct now inshaAllah? jazak Allah khayran for your help
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                            skukran!!! I'll go and edit inshaAllah 9still getting used to the arabic keyboard!! plus I'm dyslexic.

edit: is it correct now inshaAllah? jazak Allah khayran for your help
                            you need to add ة to العربي, which will be العربية.

واياكم
                            islamway
                            اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Jaffar View Post
                              you need to add ة to العربي, which will be العربية.

واياكم
                              done.

شكرا جزيلا
                              جزاك الله خيرا

sorry I don't know how to put the fathatayn on the alifs at the end.
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X