Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medication - help

Salaam/peace to all
    I have a question as of this point i'm still looking into islam to see if reverting is the right path for me... i'm reading /studying all i can... etc.
    but... i have an issue. Prayer times.
    Not for the normal reason ( i just don't want to get out of bed... there is no place at work for me to pray ( well there wouldn't..be. ) ... etc)
    I'm bipolar.. i'm currently on medication that makes it almost inpossible to sleep w/o a certain number of hours of sleep.... and i don't mean four or five.... i mean like 9-10... 13... (sigh) I hate it.... but i need to be level to function. i need to be level to hold down a job. I can't imagine not working... and while yes at some point a different set of meds may work that don't do this to me... now is not that time. Its humiliating to ask this... but what if i am physically unable to get up for the first prayers of the day or fall asleep before the last prayers of the evening?

Thank you all. I appreciate everyone in advance and this board in general
    Serena

Re: medication - help

Salaams, alhamdulillah, very happy to hear you are thinking of reverting to Islam. Islam is not meant to be difficult, and I'm sure there is a solution to this, especially as it is a medical condition, Islam has a solution for everything. The best thing to do is consult a scholor or imam. U may be able to combine maghrib with isha, because of the medical issue. Don't delay and say ur shahadah as soon as possible.

Comment

AW: medication - help

Originally posted by briteyyez View Post
      Salaam/peace to all
      I have a question as of this point i'm still looking into islam to see if reverting is the right path for me... i'm reading /studying all i can... etc.
      but... i have an issue. Prayer times.
      Not for the normal reason ( i just don't want to get out of bed... there is no place at work for me to pray ( well there wouldn't..be. ) ... etc)
      I'm bipolar.. i'm currently on medication that makes it almost inpossible to sleep w/o a certain number of hours of sleep.... and i don't mean four or five.... i mean like 9-10... 13... (sigh) I hate it.... but i need to be level to function. i need to be level to hold down a job. I can't imagine not working... and while yes at some point a different set of meds may work that don't do this to me... now is not that time. Its humiliating to ask this... but what if i am physically unable to get up for the first prayers of the day or fall asleep before the last prayers of the evening?

Thank you all. I appreciate everyone in advance and this board in general
      Serena
      sometimes when I am dizzy I pray by sitting, (ask an imam) and you do not want to go out of bed, well, try it, you will feel much better aftherwards.
      your love for ALLAH SHOULD BE HUGE ..you should aks yourself what will be the meaning of islam in your life. because it must be the center of your life. the breath you breath.
      INSALLAH YOU WILL FOLLOW THE TRUTH OF ISLAM.
      BUT IT IS GOOD ASKING YOUR QUESTIONS to us but ask also a imam.
      as above our sister Aisha said Islam is not meant to be difficult. your heart must practice what you feel.
      selama

Comment

Re: AW: medication - help

hi selma
        its not an issue of being dizzy... its an issue of i physically won't wake up due to the medications. With these even if the smoke detector in the room next to me and in my room went off i probably wouldn't hear them. Sad but true. Its not that i don't want to wake up because i hate mornings ( okay that is true.... but its still not why ) .... its the physical inability part. As an example the first day after i took the first pill.. i did some how get up afte 8 hours of sleep... but i prolly disobeyed every traffic law trying to get to work in one piece... and sleeping 10-12 hours is impossible as it is... but still... this is a frustrating issue for me because unless sometime goes seriously wrong i'm not changing meds any time soon... if anything it will be increased.
        Salaam
        Serena

Comment

Mashallah, great to know you are thinking of converting - May Allah make it easy for you.

I don't know your condition in detail but what I would suggest is to try to slowly alter and fit your sleeping time around prayer times as much as you can - I would imagine that because of your condition the prayers that you may miss would just have to be made up for after. The 3 conditions that prayers are obligatory on a person is; That he/she is a Muslim, at the age of maturity and is sane so I think since you don't fit in either of the conditions the prayers are still obligatory on you BUT I'm no scholar - I would ask an imam/scholar (Go to your local mosque) for a better knowledgeable answer as I know that ill people do have some exceptions which may apply to you also.
          Last edited by CloserThanVeins; 25-10-10, 12:08 AM.
          Allah is 'closer to him than (his) jugular vein' (Quran - 50:16)
          ♥.. Any given time - I do my best to strive - In Your name I rise - The apple of my eyes ..♥

Comment

hi
            yea thats an issue there is no local mosque... but the condition is a mental disorder and ... sane... well... my doctors would probably have a field day w/ that one. it isnt that i want an excuse not to perform the prayers... but when i'm' having to sleep 10-12 hours at a stretch and the only way to alter that is to go off the meds i have to be on to function in society that is a concern.
            Serena

Comment

Originally posted by briteyyez View Post
              hi
              yea thats an issue there is no local mosque... but the condition is a mental disorder and ... sane... well... my doctors would probably have a field day w/ that one. it isnt that i want an excuse not to perform the prayers... but when i'm' having to sleep 10-12 hours at a stretch and the only way to alter that is to go off the meds i have to be on to function in society that is a concern.
              Serena
              Try asking a scholar online, it might take a while to get your reply though;
              http://qa.sunnipath.com/step_one.asp It seems to be busy at the moment, but try tomorrow or http://askthescholar.com/

This Q isn't about your medication but it might help (read the last paragraph) http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4573&CATE=162

If you still can't find your answer, let me know I could find out for you.
              ♥.. Any given time - I do my best to strive - In Your name I rise - The apple of my eyes ..♥

Comment

that does actually help/... because there are many mornings...before .. ive had all the sleep i can... or what have you ( i have to get up for work.... sick time is not an option) .... that getting up to get 100 gold coins from the next room would be an impossibility.... _ thats really sad to say _ .... i have emailed an Imam .. have not heard back.... i do appreciate the information.... the effects of the meds... sucks... but at the same time.... so far its been the only thing close to working in more years than i can count.
                Salaam
                Serena

Comment

Aw bless you sis, may Allah give you good health.

Yeah sometimes they take a long time to reply. If you'd like me to ask a scholar, just pm your Q to me and I'll get it checked out. Its better to be completely sure :)

Take care

Comment

Working...
                  X