Hair Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Removal

I have a friend who has seriously messed up hormones and she has facial hair which she removes by going for laser treatment, as adviced by her gyne (IF she wants to get it removed)

I don't quite blame her for actually going through that painful process. I have heard some very cutting remarks being said to her by some very inconsiderate people around...
    But to have burnt skin for a week (that even wearing the hijab is so painful) to have hairless face for a month to 3 or 4 months does seems a little absurd to me... And sometimes she just doesn't want to go through the pain, so she bleaches her hair... :S

My only concern is, is it in accordance with Islam? Both the laser treatment and the bleaching...

Re: Hair Removal

Last edited by Grotbags; 22-11-15, 02:01 AM.
    The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

i thought laser treatment was for life. permenant, once you get it done, you never going to need it again? only lasts for four months :S
      is not worth is it, the pain she has to go thru for just four months. in that case why dont she jus get it waxed, is cheaper and less painful (i think).

similar question came up in a Islamic talk i went last yr and the sheikh said if the person (mainly a girl) has 'abnormal hair'', as in she has long eyebrows, that are touching her eyelashes, joined eyebrows, facial hair that are apparent etc for example, she is allowed to remove it *whether it is allowed by laser treatment* i do not know.

but i wouldnt advice her to get it bleached as it can damage your skin i.e skin cancer.
      waxing is the only 'safer' one i can think of. Alaahu A'lum.
      “This day I have perfected your religion for you,completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [5:3]"I have created the jinns and the humans solely to worship Me."[51:56]"a woman's heart should be lost in God, that a man needs to see him in order to find her"

Comment

Since its a real medical problem then your friend should be able to get treatment free over the NHS via her GP's referral.

Comment

Originally posted by MG View Post
          1) why is her face "burnt" and in pain, because laser should not have this effect on you unless the person administering it is doing it incorrectly (using the wrong level)?

2) unless she is a walking gorilla, it is very bad for her skin to be having laser and bleaching it,

3) it could also be that bleach is causing the burning, as she might be leaving it on two long,

4) Tell her to either bleach or laser, not both - laser is normally permanent hair reduction within 5-6 treatments.

May Allah swt make things easy for the poor sister and relieve her of her distress ameen
          1. she's going to a beauty saloon for tht and she keeps telling them tht it burns her but they don't reduce it and all tht.. she said she's going to another beauty saloon frm next time onwards, cos she heard the other girls working there say she's going for a facial to another beauty saloon and she was like "if they don't trust they're own services, why shd i?!"

2. she does laser when the hair gets atrociously long... when it's not so long and dark, she just uses bleach.. the bleach works fine for her..

3. as i said in #2, bleaching is fine.. she only resorts to laser when her hair gets really long that bleaching can't cover the whole lenth of her hair (which at one point got to an inch long or even worse.. it kinda looks like beard and mustache tht men gets.. and it was still obvious after laser, cos it was thick and long... :S and tht's when she started doing laser)

4. hmm.. her hair has reduced in thickness and length whenever it grows back.. She seems pretty confident that it won't be long before she can stop this laser treatment.

Originally posted by Bint-Al-Islam View Post
          i thought laser treatment was for life. permenant, once you get it done, you never going to need it again? only lasts for four months :S
          is not worth is it, the pain she has to go thru for just four months. in that case why dont she jus get it waxed, is cheaper and less painful (i think).

similar question came up in a Islamic talk i went last yr and the sheikh said if the person (mainly a girl) has 'abnormal hair'', as in she has long eyebrows, that are touching her eyelashes, joined eyebrows, facial hair that are apparent etc for example, she is allowed to remove it *whether it is allowed by laser treatment* i do not know.

but i wouldnt advice her to get it bleached as it can damage your skin i.e skin cancer.
          waxing is the only 'safer' one i can think of. Alaahu A'lum.
          That's what I thought too! Until my friend started showing up with burnt chin and upper lip once in a couple of months and I thought forget about hurting feelings, but wht the heck is going on her life! Her doctor said that the skin cells are now used to growing hair and the skin cells are being killed slowly during these laser treatments so the hair will reduce slowly and finally stop growing after a series of sessions.
          I don't know about waxing, to tell you the truth... Does it give long term results? I don't know if she has tried it before or not.. :/ I could ask her and get back to you..

I see.. and yes, her facial hair is pretty bad that she has had people ridicule her to have had a sex change or something... -.-

As far as I heard from her, bleaching doesn't seem to hurt her at all.. It's the laser that she dreads so much, but she can't say no to laser cos her facial hair is that bad.. :S Or used to be that bad...

Originally posted by Zoya09 View Post
          Since its a real medical problem then your friend should be able to get treatment free over the NHS via her GP's referral.
          What is NHS? :$

Comment

Has she tried eleoctrolysis? Its pretty much permanent, but can be intially painful and expensive. Much more effective than laser.

Plus the after effects of slight irritation, goes away after a day.

The main thing usually is not to combine treatments as this reduces the effectiveness of each one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquie View Post

What is NHS? :$
              NHS= National Health Service - Free healthcare service in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by Amaira View Post
                Has she tried eleoctrolysis? Its pretty much permanent, but can be intially painful and expensive. Much more effective than laser.

Plus the after effects of slight irritation, goes away after a day.

The main thing usually is not to combine treatments as this reduces the effectiveness of each one.
                Hmm.. I've never heard of it here, but I'll get together with her and do some research about tht...

Originally posted by Amaira View Post
                NHS= National Health Service - Free healthcare service in the UK
                Nope, no such thing as such where I live...

Comment

poor her..
                  i can feel what she feels. i almost have the same problems where the hair in my face will grow fast when i use product for the face which in fact causes growing hair. last time i found that using honey as part of making my face smooth is also the hair to grow more. well, i havent done anything to my face.perhaps someday or perhaps i dont have to do anything to my face also. i just thank God for everything He has given me.

Comment

beauty salon is not really the answer, rather use a MACH 5

I am not expert in this, but Laser or Wax seems the best option.
                    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

ouchh! I would either try threading or waxing.. waxing is much much much better than laser.. actually... Waxing takes offf your dead skin and it leaves it hairless for about two weeks! or threading for upper lip for the stashes:) Shaving is just tooooooooo much work.. and you have to do it every 2 days or 3 days...

Comment

Originally posted by SisMuslimah View Post
                        ouchh! I would either try threading or waxing.. waxing is much much much better than laser.. actually... Waxing takes offf your dead skin and it leaves it hairless for about two weeks! or threading for upper lip for the stashes:) Shaving is just tooooooooo much work.. and you have to do it every 2 days or 3 days...
                        She tried a waxing cream once and ended up with burnt skin tht hurt even worse than the laser burns... :/

Comment

:salams,

Best to ask a scholar or local imam on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquie View Post
                            She tried a waxing cream once and ended up with burnt skin tht hurt even worse than the laser burns... :/
                            Shouldnt she have used wax first? Khair Insh'Allah thats okay.. hehe... She should probably hold off on removing hair for a week or two for her burns to get better.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Yanal View Post
                              :salams,

Best to ask a scholar or local imam on this issue.
                              That's wht I'm starting to think too...

Originally posted by SisMuslimah View Post
                              Shouldnt she have used wax first? Khair Insh'Allah thats okay.. hehe... She should probably hold off on removing hair for a week or two for her burns to get better.. :)
                              She's used wax once, bleaching once a month (when there's hair) and laser, when the hair gets ridiculously obvious.. All at well spaced intervals.. so yea..

Comment

Working...
                              X