Athiest teaching Religious education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athiest teaching Religious education

This is the news i got from my sister from secondary school. What has this country come to.

need i say more?

what are your thoughts?

Re: Athiest teaching Religious education

What's wrong with this (would you really expect me to say otherwise)?

In fact, they're probably better at teaching RE than a theist as they will approach the subject in an unbiased and balanced way, without over-emphasising any particular religion.

Comment

@Atheist Chap
      Then ... Whats Wrong With A Physics Teacher ... Teaching ... Biology ??? Everyone Can Read From A Book ... But ... What Matters Is That You Believe In What You Teach !!!
      Free Web Hosting Pakistan - BASE.PK
      Hi Web.India - Free Web Hosting India

Comment

Sorry, but the teaching of Religious Education is not about teaching belief, it's the academic teaching of the fundamental principles of a number of the world's religions. Anyone who is appropriately qualified should be able to teach this subject, and belief in a particular religion is not one of those qualifications.

There are atheists out there who know significantly more about Islam or Christianity that many Muslims or Christians.

Plus, an atheist is much more likely to give a balanced view of the different religions. A Christian or a Muslim might (not necessarily consciously) emphasise the importance and relative merits of his/her religion. Plus a Christian teacher wouldn't believe (as you state it) when he teaches about Islam and vice versa. What is needed here is a balanced and well-informed view and, in my opinion, all Religious Education teachers should be atheists.

When studying Religious Education as an academic subject, an atheist is probably a better person to teach.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Hassan View Post
          @Atheist Chap
          Then ... Whats Wrong With A Physics Teacher ... Teaching ... Biology ??? Everyone Can Read From A Book ... But ... What Matters Is That You Believe In What You Teach !!!
          the thing is in secondary schools they r teaching all the major 6 religions of the world so dont think they can believe in all of them! its not like an athiest teaching islamic studies
          i dont think we expect our kids to take their deen from school re lessons anyway so as long as they are not giving wrong information out then i owuldnt say it can be a huge problem, in the context of teaching normal state school re syllabus..
          .: Rufaida :.
          .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
          http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
          “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
          but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
          ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
            the thing is in secondary schools they r teaching all the major 6 religions of the world so dont think they can believe in all of them! its not like an athiest teaching islamic studies
            i dont think we expect our kids to take their deen from school re lessons anyway so as long as they are not giving wrong information out then i owuldnt say it can be a huge problem, in the context of teaching normal state school re syllabus..
            i dont really have an issue with that.... im just thinking about it logically, like they think themselves... a person who doesnt believe, doesnt want to believe, in the almighty, yet hes teaching kids( for some it could have an effect) about the religions.
            They split the religions so for a couple of weeks/months he is teaching islamic studies in a sense lol...

maybe im overthinking, but when she told me about it, first thought was.. subanAllah... a bit of a shock... lol, but we are living in west, and hes not nessassry giving wrong information, yet he did say, niqaab aint mentioned anywhere , so they dont have to wear it :S.... which giving own opinion in class is just as bad in this kind of subject.

but yh oh well i guess... ive told my sis, whatever he says, it should go in through one ear, and straight out the other.... some parents are not aware of this kinda thing and can influence our children.

Comment

Hmm, i quickly studied the three major religions and it was by atheists i believe also, no big deal, it has absolutely nothing to do with what an Islamic scholar would teach in a madrasa. My teacher taught very basically Jews believe in the Torah, Christians in Jesus and Muslims are following the Prophet Muhammad peace and blessings upon him and goodbye
              My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
              Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Totally wrong, These are people who are teaching something which they themselves don't believe in :scratch: , makes no sense. so nowadays anybody can teach about religion even an atheist??? Joke!
                "And swell not thy cheek (for pride) at men, nor walk in insolence through the earth; for Allah loveth not any arrogant boaster. Surah Luqman:18

Comment

Working...
                X