No announcement yet.

why do Muslim women immigrate into UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why do Muslim women immigrate into UK?

^^ bling bling .....

Comment

^ a widely believed misconception. High powered businessmen "back home" usually have to resort to working in entry level jobs. You have to pay all sorts of insurance, bills are sky high, and generally it's not a place to go to if you're planning on living cheaply. Even foreigners expatriate to developing countries, because they know it's an excellent chance to save money and live the high life at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by luckyzhang View Post
        hi, everyone, let's discuss the motivation of immigrating into UK. if you are British Muslim women, why did you decide to immigrate Uk? Or if you are born in Britian, do you thinke what is the most important factor that contributed to the rapid immigration of Muslim women in Uk?

Attention: your discussion result will be only used as one part of research of my master thesis. but pls do not worry, your name will not represent on the paper.

Thanks very much, and your active participation and your honest answer will be much appreciated.
        I'm the opposite, I'm a Muslim woman who is a British convert to Islam, who emigrated out of the UK. I left the UK because the ridiculously high cost of living meant that after my maternity leave was due to end, I'd've had to work full time an hours drive away to have enough money to live, meaning my baby would have been left in daycare for more than 8 hrs every day. That was not acceptable to me. Also I faced some Islamophobia while in the UK (namecalling in the street, one occasion of being spat at, but NEVER when my husband was there, incidentally). I currently live and work (part time) in Saudi Arabia teaching English as a foreign languge in a women only language school. At work my kids are in the same building I can see them in my breaks and sometimes they come in the classroom with me, but the main thing is they can play with other kids there, and if there's any problem I'm there in the building to sort it. To be honest I'd rather be a stay at home mum but the language school is in dire need of female teachers who are native speakers and there's a huge demand for classes.

It's a myth that there are not work opportunities for women in Saudi Arabia, I know women who run their own businesses and the entire workforce of the language school where I work are women, including the director, and the workforce is multinational including Saudis (the director is Saudi), South Africans, British, a Lebanese colleague and a Palestinian colleague. There are quite a lot of other women only buisnesses, banks that are women only and staffed by women (as a womens branch of a main bank), womens offices and the like. The main lack of opportunity in Saudi Arabia comes from the poor quality of the education system and that's a problem that applies equally for the men. Many of the women I teach want to study abroad so that they can study courses that are not available in Saudi Arabia, but these are women from wealthy families whose fathers can afford to pay for them to study abroad. Many saudi women who study abroad go to other arab countries that have better universities.

Back when I lived in the UK I knew a Turkish woman who was studying in Britain because Turkey won't let women wear hijab at universities and libraries, whereas universities in Britain let women wear headscarves and even niqaab. So she chose to study in Britian so she could study without being forced to show her hair to everyone. I detest counties that ban the headscarf/niqaab in the name of "freedom" what they are actually doing is forcing women to remove clothing and reveal more of their bodies than they are comfortable with. That is a vile thing to do, quite frankly. if a university somewhere in the world made a rule that women are only allowed to study if their breasts are bare, there would be an outcry, but apparently it's "freedom" to force women to keep their hair, ears and neck on display. I'm sure my Turkish friend isn't the only one from such a country that is studing in the uk so that she can study AnD wear hijab.

i know other women in the uk who came to study at British universities, but i know more muslim men that have done the same, some of those that i know that have done that are from Palestine. So I don't think this is a special phenomenon that affects women specifically, rather it's a general point that british universities are very good and the ones in some Arab countries are not ---- however Palestine actually has really good universities, the difficulty comes from Israel either bombing them to bits (look what Israel did to the Islamic University of Gaza in Jan 2009, most of the university's buildings were destroyed including numerous labs, the library and their computer suites) or due to restrictions on Palestinians travellnig such as checkpoints and curfews which makes daily attendance at university very tricky. That said i know women who have studied at palestinian univesrities and got a really good level of education from them.

bear in mind that most of the Muslim women (and men) who I know that went to the UK to study, went back again after finishing their studies, the one woman i know who stayed in the UK afterwards was already a UK citizen (she's dual national due to one of her parents being British, but was raised in an Arab country), so that doesn't really count as immigration, and really it's not actually immigration if they don't stay in the UK, rather it's studying abroad. actual immigration i'd say marriage is probalby the main reason but I don't know anyone who's immigrated permanently to the UK for marriage.
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]
        [CENTER]
        [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
        [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

yes, it depends, different situation of muslim women in different muslim countries. but what is the most important one?
          a master thesis that's only looking at the "main" reason? surely at masters level you want to look at the complex variety of issues and the interaction between them?
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]
          [CENTER]
          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
            a master thesis that's only looking at the "main" reason? surely at masters level you want to look at the complex variety of issues and the interaction between them?
            thanks very much. actually, this main reason is just small part of my thesis as a background of British Muslim women, the acculturation of British Muslim women is the main points i would like to discuss and analyse.

Comment

thanks very much. actually, this main reason is just small part of my thesis as a background of British Muslim women, the acculturation of British Muslim women is the main points i would like to discuss and analyse.
              What is the Priupose of the Thesis?

I mean what does it achieve by Identifying why Muslim WOmen Migrated to the Uk?

regards.
              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

the reason muslim women come to the uk is because muslim men decide to come and the women tag along...thesis done, whats next?

Comment

^^^lol

Comment

Working...
                  X