How to tell if a person is Muslim?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolfn
    started a topic How to tell if a person is Muslim?

How to tell if a person is Muslim?

Assalaam Alikum.

Let's say you're shopping at the local store for groceries. Suddenly, you see a man who you think is Muslim, but you're not sure. For example, he doesn't have a Sunnah beard or he's wearing shorts or something.

How would you tell if he's Muslim?

The reason I ask this is because at my store, I occasionally get a customer who I think is Muslim, but I'm afraid to say "Salaam" to them in fear that they are not Muslim or something. At my old job at a grocery store (about a month or two after I converted to Islam), I had a group of guys come in to buy some groceries. They had Sunnah beards and baggy clothing, and I desperately wanted to say "Assalaam Alikum" to them, but I was scared to because I wasn't sure if they were Muslim or not.

So, how would you find out if a guy is Muslim or not? With girls, it's easy because they would be wearing hijab. But with men it's a little tricky because most don't have beards or anything.

• Mister Fundie
    replied
    Re: How to tell if a person is Muslim?

Originally posted by IbnulQayyim View Post
    yelll jihad when the customers approaching

if they reply back with "TAkbeer ...ALLAHU Akbar"
    then salam 'em
    genius! :rotfl:

Leave a comment:

• sis_on_sunnah
    replied

assalamu alaykum,

even when im wearing full hijaab, abaya i have been asked if i am a Muslim

I'd say if you think they look muslim, ie, they have the noor of eeman on their face then try giving salaam.

Leave a comment:

• DZF
    replied

Originally posted by noobz View Post
    and what bout all the other customers that start screaming and wetting their pants? ...:rofl1::rofl1:
    "Clean up on isle 3..."

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

i dont noe but when i was in chicago in a mall. I was in sunnah clothing and topi and i was walking pass this black guy with his wife girlfriend or his sister( i doubt his sis tho) and i go pass them and he suddenly says salam alaykum.
    i go like :O literally and then I smmile back and nod and say the salam.

he was wearing: baggy jeans braided hair and all 'strait up G' if u noe what i mean and i think i better not go in detaill abt the lady.
    u had a good look at them

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

then salam 'em

otherwise lol..haha
    and what bout all the other customers that start screaming and wetting their pants? ...:rofl1::rofl1:

Leave a comment:

• IbnulQayyim
    replied

then salam 'em

otherwise lol..haha

Leave a comment:

• IbnulQayyim
    replied

i dont noe but when i was in chicago in a mall. I was in sunnah clothing and topi and i was walking pass this black guy with his wife girlfriend or his sister( i doubt his sis tho) and i go pass them and he suddenly says salam alaykum.
    i go like :O literally and then I smmile back and nod and say the salam.

he was wearing: baggy jeans braided hair and all 'strait up G' if u noe what i mean and i think i better not go in detaill abt the lady.

Leave a comment:

• DZF
    replied

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
    I'm wondering if I could sneeze in front of the customer and then say "Alhumdilallah"
    LOL

Classic approach to a tough situation!

Leave a comment:

• Wolfn
    replied

I'm wondering if I could sneeze in front of the customer and then say "Alhumdilallah"

Leave a comment:

• DZF
    replied

Salam,

Just a couple suggestions... instead of saying "salam alaikum" (which, btw, i'm not implying is ever a bad thing - it's a greeting of peace!) and risking them look at you strange and curious as to if your crazy... be more casual about the matter when you speak to them. Have a light voice, and a smile, or, at the very least, a curious gesture. Instead of making them feel awkward by asking "are you a muslim?!?!" you could say "hey guy, i've been wonderin', are you a Muslim brother?" and in doing so, it establishes you are a believer as well, and have been thinking about them.

Or, as uncle umar had mentioned above - chat them up for a minute.

Leave a comment:

• uncle umar
    replied

i just ask. somtimes, they are, somtimes they arent. i can usualy tel lwhen the look at me and they look like they want to say somthingbut thy hold back. i usualy start by asking where they are from, then asking if they are muslim. and if they are, i say my salam, and invite them to come pray in th jammat.

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

well this might not be correct. But just say bismillah b4 u start making the bill. Maybe he will give the salam first then :)

Leave a comment:

• noobz
    replied

Originally posted by zaidfp View Post
    Just say salaam

What's the worse that can happen?
    :boom::boom::boom::bang::bang:

Leave a comment:

• Wolfn
    replied

Originally posted by zaidfp View Post
    Just say salaam

What's the worse that can happen?

Well, I really don't want to bring up religion with customers at my job. I don't want to risk getting fired

Leave a comment:

Working...
X