Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if a person is Muslim?

Assalaam Alikum.

Let's say you're shopping at the local store for groceries. Suddenly, you see a man who you think is Muslim, but you're not sure. For example, he doesn't have a Sunnah beard or he's wearing shorts or something.

How would you tell if he's Muslim?

The reason I ask this is because at my store, I occasionally get a customer who I think is Muslim, but I'm afraid to say "Salaam" to them in fear that they are not Muslim or something. At my old job at a grocery store (about a month or two after I converted to Islam), I had a group of guys come in to buy some groceries. They had Sunnah beards and baggy clothing, and I desperately wanted to say "Assalaam Alikum" to them, but I was scared to because I wasn't sure if they were Muslim or not.

So, how would you find out if a guy is Muslim or not? With girls, it's easy because they would be wearing hijab. But with men it's a little tricky because most don't have beards or anything.
    Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Re: How to tell if a person is Muslim?

You can't tell. They could be hindus aswell. It just shows the importance of wearing sunnah libaas (clothing). Its our identity.

Comment

:wswrwb: true that ^ and after that the salam is usually the key to knowing if theyre a muslim or not.
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by Yaqoot Marjaan View Post
        You can't tell. They could be hindus aswell. It just shows the importance of wearing sunnah libaas (clothing). Its our identity.
        That's a big reason why I want to wear Islamic clothing. I'm too scared to jump right in, but I would like to start by growing my beard and wearing my kufi instead of baseball caps
        Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
          That's a big reason why I want to wear Islamic clothing. I'm too scared to jump right in, but I would like to start by growing my beard and wearing my kufi instead of baseball caps
          Yep, even with a beard and kufi you can identify a muslim. Its the lack of a beard that gets you thinking!

Comment

Originally posted by Yaqoot Marjaan View Post
            Yep, even with a beard and kufi you can identify a muslim. Its the lack of a beard that gets you thinking!
            Whenever I go to the masjid for Jummah, only about 2% of the Muslims there have a Sunnah beard. About another 40% have facial hair/short beards, and the rest have no beards or anything.

And there's an alarming amount of Muslims with moustaches and no beards at all

Comment

You can usually just tell, even without the beard. Or just find out their name.

Comment

Just say salaam

What's the worse that can happen?

Comment

Originally posted by zaidfp View Post
                  Just say salaam

Well, I really don't want to bring up religion with customers at my job. I don't want to risk getting fired

Comment

Originally posted by zaidfp View Post
                    Just say salaam

:boom::boom::boom::bang::bang:

Comment

well this might not be correct. But just say bismillah b4 u start making the bill. Maybe he will give the salam first then :)

Comment

i just ask. somtimes, they are, somtimes they arent. i can usualy tel lwhen the look at me and they look like they want to say somthingbut thy hold back. i usualy start by asking where they are from, then asking if they are muslim. and if they are, i say my salam, and invite them to come pray in th jammat.
                        And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (All‚h) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in All‚h and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of All‚h with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

Salam,

Just a couple suggestions... instead of saying "salam alaikum" (which, btw, i'm not implying is ever a bad thing - it's a greeting of peace!) and risking them look at you strange and curious as to if your crazy... be more casual about the matter when you speak to them. Have a light voice, and a smile, or, at the very least, a curious gesture. Instead of making them feel awkward by asking "are you a muslim?!?!" you could say "hey guy, i've been wonderin', are you a Muslim brother?" and in doing so, it establishes you are a believer as well, and have been thinking about them.

Or, as uncle umar had mentioned above - chat them up for a minute.
                          "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm wondering if I could sneeze in front of the customer and then say "Alhumdilallah"

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfn View Post
                              I'm wondering if I could sneeze in front of the customer and then say "Alhumdilallah"
                              LOL

Classic approach to a tough situation!
                              "He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X