Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travelling without mahrems a increasing problem

There is ijmaa' that woman cannot travell without a mahrem

1) Sayyiduna Abu Sa�id al-Khudri (mayAllah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Let no woman travel for more than three days unless her husband or a Mahram is with her�. (Sahih Muslim).

2) Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �A woman must not travel for three days except with a Mahram�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1036 & Sahih Muslim).

3) Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �It is unlawful for a woman who believes in Allah and the last day that she travels the distance of one day and one night without a Mahram accompanying her�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1038).

4) Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �'A woman must not travel except with a Mahram and a man must not enter upon her except if she has a Mahram�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1763).

Re: travelling without mahrems a increasing problem

Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
    There is ijmaa' that woman cannot travell without a mahrem

1) Sayyiduna Abu Sa�id al-Khudri (mayAllah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (may Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Let no woman travel for more than three days unless her husband or a Mahram is with her�. (Sahih Muslim).

2) Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �A woman must not travel for three days except with a Mahram�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1036 & Sahih Muslim).

3) Sayyiduna Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �It is unlawful for a woman who believes in Allah and the last day that she travels the distance of one day and one night without a Mahram accompanying her�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1038).

4) Sayyiduna Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �'A woman must not travel except with a Mahram and a man must not enter upon her except if she has a Mahram�. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1763).
    why do i get the feeling that this thread is implied at my post, posted on one of your threads re telling srs to study in egypt et al instead of saudi due to mahram issues..

hmm..

Comment

anyways..my br picks and drops me off to my institute where i study in egypt, i stay in an apartment with srs and we have curfew/rules set bu our institute which we have to and do abide by alhumdulilah

Comment

3 days? one can go around the world in less time than that.

i am really confused about this and how it applies to modern time. I know there are different views, some more strict than others. What is the most relax view as I like traveling & taking a bro/dad along for a simple few hour fly is not very user friendly.

Comment

I have a question.

If there is a old lady whose son is a kafir and she wants to do hajj can I be her mahram? No right? she wanted me to go with her so she can do hajj etc...

btw I am NOT related to her in anyway
          she jus moms friend
          Reported by Ibn al-Salah:

ولقد أحسن الحسن بن أبي زياد اللؤلؤي صاحب أبي حنيفة فيما بلغنا عنه أنه استفتي في مسألة فأخطأ فيها ولم يعرف الذي أفتاه فاكترى مناديا فنادى أن الحسن بن أبي زياد استفتي يوم كذا وكذا في مسألة فأخطأ فمن كان أفتاه الحسن بن أبي زياد بشيء فليرجع إليه
          فلبث أياما لا يفتي حتى وجد صاحب الفتوى فأعلمه أنه أخطأ وإن الصواب كذا وكذا والله أعلم

Comment

Brother Hamza,

How are hadeeth 1,2 reconciled with hadeeth 3? 3 days vs one day,one night?

What is the definition of day given?

JazaakAllahu khairan

Comment

the reference for hadith #2, #3 & #4 are incorrect in the Sahih Al-Bukhari
              “And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement. And indeed, the home of the Hereafter - that is the [eternal] life, if only they knew.” [29:64]

Comment

Originally posted by taqwa435 View Post
                why do i get the feeling that this thread is implied at my post, posted on one of your threads re telling srs to study in egypt et al instead of saudi due to mahram issues..

hmm..
                I have no idea of what your talking about but anyway i don't see how your post and my thread are related if a sister is studying in Egypt why does that have to mean that she is doing so without a mahrem.

i dont see the correlation

Comment

Originally posted by taqwa435 View Post
                  anyways..my br picks and drops me off to my institute where i study in egypt, i stay in an apartment with srs and we have curfew/rules set bu our institute which we have to and do abide by alhumdulilah
                  this has nothing to do with you i didn't even know this information about you.
                  Your life has really no effect on mine if you want to know whether or not situation ^^ is permissable please ask a scholar.

Comment

Originally posted by loonietoonie View Post
                    Brother Hamza,

How are hadeeth 1,2 reconciled with hadeeth 3? 3 days vs one day,one night?

What is the definition of day given?

JazaakAllahu khairan
                    they are reconclied by the statement of the prophet :saw: that no woman may travel without a mahram, the different answers given are in respone to the questions asked, ie a woman asked can she travel for 3 days and nights without a mahrm the answer is a woman may not travel for more than 3 days and nights without a mahram, same for the next question and so on. imam nawawi gives a good explanation, i will try find it and bring it for you to clear up the matter. also it is not a matter of days but also walking distance, imam abu hanifa gave a distance of 48 miles, which was based on a fatwa he gave to a woman who asked if she may travel for haj from her town which was 48 miles from makkah hence the ulema of this madhab permit a woman to travel this far alone, but other ulema say she must not travel outside her city limits and the dispensation for that woman was for haj only.
                    Last edited by *asiya*; 20-09-10, 11:58 AM.
                    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

1) Abu Said al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said: Let no woman travel for more than three days unless her husband or a Mahram is with her. (Sahih Muslim).

2) Abd Allah ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said: A woman must not travel for three days except with a Mahram. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1036 & Sahih Muslim).

3) Abu Huraira (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said: It is unlawful for a woman who believes in Allah and the last day that she travels the distance of one day and one night without a Mahram accompanying her. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1038).

4) Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah :saw: said: 'A woman must not travel except with a Mahram and a man must not enter upon her except if she has a Mahram. (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 1763).

Imam Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) states in his commentary of Sahih Muslim:

There are many such narrations that assert the impermissibility of a woman travelling without a Mahram. These narrations vary in their wordings. The narration of Ibn Abbas in Sahih al-Bukhari says that a woman must not travel without a Mahram, but it adds nothing else. However, the other narrations, in Sahih al-Bukhari and elsewhere, mention lengths of journeys for which a Mahram is required - some of the narrations specify three days, some two, some one, and some even less

Imam Nawawi (Allah have mercy on him) mentions that the difference found in these narrations is due to the different questioners and the places wherein the answers were given to them. al-Bayhaqi said: It is as though the messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) was asked regarding travelling for three days without a Mahram, and he refused. He was then asked about her travelling for two days, and regarding one day, etc and each narrator related from him what he heard

Commentary of Sahih Muslim by Imam Nawawi, 1015.

Q. I would like to know the fiqh ruling concerning a woman traveling without a mahram for a journey longer over one day and less than three days. There is a hadith found in At-Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and Abu Dawud that the Prophet (May Allah bless him and give him peace) said, "Any women who believes in Allah and the day of Judgement should not travel alone for three days or more except when accompanied by a mahram." What is the proper fiqh of this hadith as I have read the opinions on women traveling in the Reliance of the Traveler. The most liberal opinion which he quoted was the opinion of the Hanafi madhab which stated that woman could travel alone on a journey up to 48 miles. What about a journey on a plane that covers a much greater distance in shorter than a day time periods or direct plane routes where the mahram accompanies the woman to the plane and then another mahram picks her up when the plane lands.

A. Bismillah was-salat was-salam `ala rasulillah:

It should be noted that the hadith of the three days does not mean in the understanding of the fuqaha' that she is allowed to travel alone for one day or two or up to three. The prohibition is absolute, as expressed explicitly in the hadith in Bukhari: "Women are not to travel except with a Mahram" and this takes precedence over the hadith of the three days. This is stated by Nawawi in Sharh Sahih Muslim and is confirmed by the fact that no one has considered permissible woman's travel alone whether for up to three days or for as little as one
                      Last edited by *asiya*; 20-09-10, 11:44 AM.
                      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Three days or one day is meant to be distance, for instance it took them one week to ten days to travel from Makkah to Madina.
                        Its not three days its "Masirat Thalath Ayam" i.e. travelling by walking three days, not just travelling. some translations make confusion.
                        islamway
                        اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

So up to what distance does she not need a mahram?

Can she do the school run and pop down to Tesco while also going to Specsavers alone? Or would this also require a mahram? The 3 day and 1 day narrations confused me.

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

Can she do the school run and pop down to Tesco while also going to Specsavers alone? Or would this also require a mahram? The 3 day and 1 day narrations confused me.
                            as far as i have learnt, within her city limits is not considered as travel

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Originally posted by Khalid b. Walid View Post

The three narrations of 1, 2 and three days are correct. The sholars said about these different narrations that there was different questions on the topic of travelling with out Mahram, where he was asked about three,two and one days so he answered the enquirer. It doesn't mean that he implied the three days that he negates the two and one days, but when he was asked about travelling without mahram on each occasion he answered by no. So to cut a long distance short, any travelling that is considered so, it is considered safar and needs a mahram. What goes under the naming of travel under peoples custom.
                              And its is usually getting out the city or leaving behind the city buildings.
                              And Allah knows best
                              islamway
                              اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

Working...
                              X