The children need your prayers more than anyone else
      -------------------------------------------------------
      www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

• Re: Hifz Experiences

Originally posted by F_R View Post
        No way.

Lol!

I don't have the guts to enter any kind of contest either.
        It's practically one of my worst nightmares.

Comment

I don't do recitation contests or competitions.

Question: What time suits you for revision? Mornings, evenings, afternoons? Whenever? And for memorisation?

Would be good to know what experienced reciters suggest, advise....
          اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Asalam O Alaikum To All...
            Just joined the forum,i hav a question.can one memorise the quran from translation(i mean not arabic just translation in english).i am a pakistani teen 18 years so i hav a gud interest in islam,of course i will learn arabic later.the reason why i wanna learn it in english is firstly,i am gud in english becuz i studied in english medium and secondly,i want to have that knowledge of quran and understand it also plus who knows when will death come for one so i think its gud to understand it first.hav memorised surah al mulk and some part of surah barkarah.em a fast learner so what do u guys say?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post

Question: What time suits you for revision? Mornings, evenings, afternoons? Whenever? And for memorisation?
              memorisation = mornings
              revision= evenings
              "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
              (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
              He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

I do the opposite of faatima18:

Memorization: after Maghrib
                Revision: morning and during the day

This works for me because when I memorize at night I can sleep on it, and it feels more solid in the morning. I can also review it during the day and it's almost like "old" materials. For some reason when I memorize in the morning I feel like I'm "chasing it" all day, hoping not to forget. lol But when I memorize at night, I wake up and it's already there.

Revision throughout the day, mostly morning. I tend to be busy so focus for a while in the a.m., then do more during the day when I have free time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bint_Hajj View Post
                  Lol!

I don't have the guts to enter any kind of contest either.
                  It's practically one of my worst nightmares.
                  It messes up intention because what would be the motive behind it? The money? The prize? Small quizzes are different to these things, maybe it's more of a motivator for kids I dunno.

I was gonna ask this as well.

Mornings are a no no unless it's a bit here and there mixed with some work I'm doing. Generally memorisation is for a few days during the week and revision is for another few days during the week both which are done either during the day or evening kinda like Bint_Hajj

لا تفكر كثيرا
                  بل استغفر كثيرا

The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                  www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

I attended the first session out of four of Fajr's course on "How to memorize the Qur'an". (If you haven't already, visit her blog http://fajr-literary.com/ amazing :masha:)

Got loads to share and I'm bursting with energy and motivation atm Alhamdullilah, May Allah reward her efforts and grant her Jannah, ameen.

Narrated from Jundub (Radi'Allahu 'anhu) that he said "We were young youth with the Messenger of Allah (sallalahu 'alayhi wa sallam), so we learnt Iman (faith) before we learnt Qur'an, then we learnt Qur'an and it increased our Iman" - Nuzhat al-Fudhalaa (383/1)

"The pious predecessors would never teach Hadith and Fiqh (jurisprudence) except to someone who had memorised the Qur'an" - Al-Majmoo (1/38)

This shows us a few things:
                    • The rank and virtue of memorizing the Qur'an
                    • Prioritization of the learned ones
                    • Steadiness in Knowledge

Virtues of the Qur'an

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَتْلُونَ كِتَابَ اللَّهِ وَأَقَامُوا الصَّلاَةَ وَأَنفَقُوا مِمَّا رَزَقْنَاهُمْ سِرّاً وَعَلاَنِيَةً يَرْجُونَ تِجَارَةً لَن تَبُورَ
                    لِيُوَفّـِيَهُمْ اُجُورَهُمْ وَيَزِيدَهُم مِن فَضْلِهِ إِنَّهُ غَفُورٌ شَكُورٌ

“Verily, those who recite the Book of Allah, perform prayers, and spend (in charity) out of what we have provided for them, secretly and openly, hope for a (sure) trade-gain that will never perish. That He may pay them their wages in full, and increase them, out of his grace. Verily! He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Ready to appreciate" - Al-Fatir, 29-30

Qatadah (radi'Allahu 'anhu) used to say whenever he read this verse: "This verse is of the Qurra' (recitors)." (Tafsir Ibn al-Kathir) - and that is because of what it confirms for them from great recompense and mulriplied reward, and they do not take pleasure in just abundant reward, but rather Allah increases them in honour and virtue.

Al-Qurtubi said: "This increase is intercession in the hereafter". (Tafsur al-Qurtubi)

Prophet (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) said:

"Indeed, this Qur’an is the banquet of Allah, so learn as much as you can from the banquet of Allah. Indeed, this Qur’an is the strong Rope of Allah and it is the clear guidance and it is a beautiful cure, a protection for those who cling to it, and a salvation for those who follow it. Nothing is bent or corrupted except that the Qur’an rectifies it, nor is anything deviated but that it reprimands it. Its marvels do not fade nor is the sweetness of it decreased by the frequency of those who recite it. So recite it, for indeed Allah will bestow upon you ten times the single reward for your recitation of each letter. I do not say that Alif, Laam, Meem is a letter but rather Alif is a letter, Laam is a letter and Meem is a letter” - al-Hakim.

The incident of 'Utbah
                    'Utbah was sent to negotiate with Prophet (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) - after letting 'Utbah finish, He (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) recited Surah Fusilat, upon return to the people 'Utbah said:

"O people, I have heard a speech the like of which I have never heard before. I swear by Allah, it is not magic, nor is it poetry, nor is it sorcery. O gathering of Quraysh! Listen to me. Leave this man alone; for I swear by Allah. the speech I have heard from him will soon be news.."

The position of Qur'anic Hifdh with the Salaf

"The best of you is the one who learns Qur'an and teaches it" - Sahih Bukhari.

An incident with 'Umar ibn al-Khattab:

It is narrated from Nafi' ibn Abd al-Harith that he met 'Umar (radi' Allahu 'anhu) in 'Isfaan and 'Umar made him a governor over Makkah. Nafi' said, "Who have you put over Ahl al-Wadi (as a governor)?" He replied, "Ibn Abzi". He said, "And who is Ibn Abzi?" He said "A slave amongst our slaves." He said "And you put a slave as a governor?!" 'Umar replied, "Indeed he recited the Book of Allah 'azza wa jall and he is knowledgeable of the fara'idh (obligations), did your Prophet (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) not say, " Truly, Allah raises a people by this Book and debases others by it."? [Sahih Muslim]

Lessons to be learnt from this:
                    • Dunya cannot replace the Qur'an
                    • Qur'an gives you honour
                    • In order to become a leader, you must establish the law of Allah - not make decisions based on desires
                    • When you understand the Qur'an, all the other knowledge falls into place.

Tabaddur (contemplation) and love of the Qur'an

Ibn al-Qayyim: "There is nothing more beneficial for the slave in his life and the hereafter and closer to his salvation than contemplation of the Qur'an and prolonging it's contemplation"

Night prayer and the Qur'an

The Messenger of Allah (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) said: "Whoever stands (for the night prayer) with ten verses is not written amongst the heedless, whoever stands with a hundred verses is written to be amongst the devout & sincere ones and whoever stands with a thousand verses is written amongst the muqantareen" (those for whom a Qintaar (a measurement of weight) of reward is written), Abu Dawud, Sahih.

The concept of Sanad (Isnad) in the Ummah

'Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak: 'Were it not for Sanad (chain of authenticity) then anyone would say as he pleases.'

Ibn al-Jazari (Rahimahullaah) said: "The transmission of the Qur'an by relying upon memorization (off by heart) and not upon script in the mus-haf and in books, is from the most noble of characteristics given to this Ummah by Allah the Most High

He also said, "Allah ta'ala has informed us that the Qur'an does not need to be confined - in preserving it - to a page that can be washed with water. Instead, it is read in all states as has been narrated in the description of this Ummah "Their scriptures are in their hearts" - and this is different to the people of the Book who do not memorize it except in referring to the Books, they do not read it except by looking at it and it is never off by heart."

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِنْ مُدَّكِرٍ

"And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember, but is there any that will remember?" - Al-Qamar; 17

The repetition of the verse above throughout the Sur'ah is significant - breaking mental barriers.
                    My Lord sanctify my flawed heart
                    As You have sanctified Your house,
                    Make my heart as protected and as honoured
                    In which permission of entry
                    Is only granted to a few,
                    Please Allah, allow my heart
                    To be preserved only for You.

---

It hurts, to watch you leave so soon,
                    when I don't know, if I will ever see you again
                    In Jannah, we will meet :love:

If I have ever offended, hurt or insulted you, forgive me for the sake of Allah سبحانه وتعالى‎

Comment

Forgot to add this case study (true story)

An incredible account told by Shaykh Yasir Salamah, one of the leading Imams and recitors of Egypt. He speaks of the true account of Muhammad, a brother who after attending a workshop on memorising Qur’aan and utilising all the available mediums, went on to memorise the entire Qur’aan within just 50 days (i.e 2 months)

Story of Muhammad

“I put death before my eyes. I made an intention to memorise the Noble Qur’aan. So I abandoned telephone calls and unnecessary visits, and I changed all the negative thoughts associated with hifdh (memorisation) to positive and practical ones e.g. When a thought came to me saying ‘I can’t do it!’ I’d say, ‘I can do it.’ If it said, ‘My memory is weak!’ I’d say ‘I take pleasure in having a great memory.’

I chose the masjid as the place of my hifdh as it preserves three:

1. The eyes

2. The ears

3. The tongue

I followed a specific dietary program consisting of eating dates, fruits and honey – and fasting helped me a great deal in that. I used to wake up before salaat al-Fajr by 2 and a half hours and I slept 2 hours after ‘Isha. I used to wake up for Tahajjud (the night prayer), prolonging my sujood wherein I would call upon Allaah ta’alaa to ease for me my affair. I would also seek forgiveness 100 times.

I began to memorise 5 pages and would recite them in the Sunnah prayers of Fajr. After salaat al-Fajr, I would begin the memorisation of 5 new pages and at the end, I would recite them in the 2 raka’ahs of salaat al-Duhaa, all the time thanking Allaah for easing the memorisation.

I would perfect the recitation of what I had memorised by listening to tapes of one of the recitors. I would read about the qiraa’ah in books or via the Muqaddimah al-Jazariyyah (poem on the ahkam of tajweed).

After salaat al-Dhuhr, I would repeat everything that I had memorised previously beginning from the 1st Juz, until salaat al-’Asr. After the ‘Asr prayer, I would repeat the new portion of hifdh and the juz before. After the Maghrib prayer, I would prepare the recitation of 10 new pages and it was only after salaat al-’Isha that I’d review the Qur’aan with my teacher, may Allaah reward him well.

Before retiring to bed, I would listen to all that I memorised in the day from cassettes and I would be sitting for 6 continuous hours, without any boredom or feeling tired. In the 1st week, I would sit for 6 hours, memorising and revising. In the 2nd week, I would sit for 8 hours. In the 3rd week, it was 10 hours and in the 4th week, it was 12 hours. In the last 10 days, I was sitting for 14 hours memorising and revising.

The hardest times for me were when it came to sleeping and eating. I ardently wished that the period of sleep would end quickly so that I could start my hifdh of the Noble of Qur’aan. Everytime I began to read the Qur’aan and memorise, I felt such delight and enjoyment that I had never felt before. Du’a was an important factor for me before and after hifdh. I would memorise a page whilst sitting down and then repeat it whilst walking. My teacher played an important role in encouraging me, in revision, in correcting me and benefiting me in terms of Tajweed.

In the last week, on the night of 20th Ramadan, only 4 and a half juz remained until completion of hifdh. So I turned to Allaah to open up my way and ease it for me. I went on to memorise it in 6 days with the Help of Allaah.

Laylatul-Qadr came, the night of delight and happiness – it was like a wedding night to me. My completion of hifdh took place between Maghrib and ‘Isha in the masjid with the Imam and those in I’tikaaf. We began the khatma (reciting from beginning till end of the Book). In the end, during the du’aa, my heart opened up greatly and I began to weep like never before. It was the most beautiful hour of my life. Allaah had honoured me with the memorisation of His Book.

During the du’aa, I remembered a dream I had more than 10 years ago… I was a Mu’adhin of a mosque and after Fajr salaah, I sat remembering Allaah in the mosque. I felt sleepy so I took a nap in the middle of the mosque, and behold! I found myself amidst a gathering. A powerful ray of light descended from the sky down to the middle of the masjid. From that light came many angels and between them were 2 big Angels. One of them turned towards me and took me to the light. I entered along with the 2 angels. I then found myself on top of a large green tree – I began to climb it in the companionship of the 2 angels. We found angels standing by the door of the 1st heaven. They said to me ‘Where are you going?’ They opened up a book and said, ‘We don’t have your name with us, so climb onwards to the top.’ And likewise, all the time (through each heaven), they said the same thing to me.

Upon arriving at the 7th heaven, we reached the end of the tree. I found angels standing at the door and they said, ‘Are you Muhammad?’ I said, ‘Yes.’ They said, ‘Enter, for the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) wants you.’ I said to the 2 angels that were with me ‘Come in with me.’ They said, ‘We can’t enter. But we will wait for you.’ So I entered Jannah and behold, I saw therein what no eye has seen, no ear has heard and had never entered in the heart of Man. Angels were surrounding me and there was a door, on top of it was written لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله. جنة الفردوس (There is no God but Allaah and Muhammad is His Messenger. Al-Firdaws Paradise).

The Angels opened the door and I entered. Before me was the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) sitting at the top end and beside him were men, some that I recognised and some that I didn’t. In front of him were a very large group of men, women and children. They wore white clothes, and they were so many that they had a beginning but no end. All of them were reciting Qur’aan. The Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) called me and I went up to him. He got up and made some space for me. I kissed him and he sat me down besides him. I asked him ‘Who are these people O Messenger of Allah?’ He said, ‘These are the people who have memorised the Book of Allaah `azza wa jall.’

Inshaa’Allaah ta’ala, the dream ended in truth. I never spoke to anyone about it until the night that I completed the memorisation of the Qur’aan.”

Amazing :masha: :')

---

If I have ever offended, hurt or insulted you, forgive me for the sake of Allah سبحانه وتعالى‎

Comment

Originally posted by sunrise867 View Post
                        An incident with 'Umar ibn al-Khattab:

It is narrated from Nafi' ibn Abd al-Harith that he met 'Umar (radi' Allahu 'anhu) in 'Isfaan and 'Umar made him a governor over Makkah. Nafi' said, "Who have you put over Ahl al-Wadi (as a governor)?" He replied, "Ibn Abzi". He said, "And who is Ibn Abzi?" He said "A slave amongst our slaves." He said "And you put a slave as a governor?!" 'Umar replied, "Indeed he recited the Book of Allah 'azza wa jall and he is knowledgeable of the fara'idh (obligations), did your Prophet (sallalahu 'alyhi wa sallam) not say, " Truly, Allah raises a people by this Book and debases others by it."? [Sahih Muslim]
                        It's the other way around:

Abū Ṭufayl ‘Āmir ibn Wāthilah related, “Nāfi‘ ibn ‘Abdul Ḥārith met ‘Umar ibn al-Khaṭṭāb at ‘Usfān. ‘Umar had placed Nāfi‘ in charge of Makkah, so he asked him, ‘Whom did you leave behind in charge of the people of the valley?’ He replied, ‘I put Ibn Abzā in charge of them.’ ‘Who is Ibn Abzā?’ ‘Umar enquired. ‘A man from among our freed slaves,’ he told him. ‘You left a freed slave in charge of them!?’ ‘Umar exclaimed. Nāfi‘ responded, ‘Indeed, he is someone who recites the Book of Allah the Most High, who is knowledgeable of the laws of inheritance, and who judges [with truth].’ ‘Umar then stated, ‘Take heed! Your Prophet r has certainly said, “Indeed, Allah elevates certain people through this Book, and He abases others through it as well.”’”

(Sunan ibn Mājah)
                        "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
                        (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Jazak'Allahu Khayran. This was a good boost in motivation to memorise the Qur'an.

One tip I gained from a young Hafiz is to read the Ayat aloud, around 11 times and then recite the Ayat without looking at the Qur'an. Different methods work for different people I guess, Masha'Allah.

Lastly, maybe understanding arabic is better before you start to memorise the Qur'an. This would surely be more beneficial and yet make such a rewarding task far easier.

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                            It messes up intention because what would be the motive behind it? The money? The prize? Small quizzes are different to these things, maybe it's more of a motivator for kids I dunno.

I was gonna ask this as well.

Mornings are a no no unless it's a bit here and there mixed with some work I'm doing. Generally memorisation is for a few days during the week and revision is for another few days during the week both which are done either during the day or evening kinda like Bint_Hajj
                            Revision before fajr and new lesson after fajr that is what i usually uphold. If that gets disturbed then after asr or maghreb. depending on the season.

Comment

Originally posted by rehmanq1 View Post
                              Asalam O Alaikum To All...
                              Just joined the forum,i hav a question.can one memorise the quran from translation(i mean not arabic just translation in english).i am a pakistani teen 18 years so i hav a gud interest in islam,of course i will learn arabic later.the reason why i wanna learn it in english is firstly,i am gud in english becuz i studied in english medium and secondly,i want to have that knowledge of quran and understand it also plus who knows when will death come for one so i think its gud to understand it first.hav memorised surah al mulk and some part of surah barkarah.em a fast learner so what do u guys say?
                              It's better if u learned arabic from a local Mufti. Wouldn't take more than 3 months if u really are a fast learner. Then memorize Quran in Arabic!
                              Bandon say dil naa lagao sirf Allah say lagao.

Comment

*Bump*

Gotta add some notes I made from the second session today with Sis Fajr, will do :insha: later.

---

Comment

Working...
                                X