• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hifz Experiences

Originally posted by Curious George View Post
    the characteristics of a hafidh

Al-Musayyib Ibn Ra’fi’ reported that Abdullah Ibn Mas’ud said:

“A memoriser of the Quraan should be known for his long night prayers when people are asleep, his fasting when people are eating, his saddness when people are happy, his slience when people are talking nonsense, and his humbleness when people are not.

He should be wise, gentle and not talk to much: he should not be rude, negligent, clamorous, nor hot tempered. “

Ibn Al Jawzee, Sifaat As-Safwa: 1/413
    Originally posted by whisperofimaan View Post
    SubhanAllah, mashaAllah! May Allah bless him through the Quran, ameen

Here's another child who is memorizing the Quran:
    نبيل علي العوضي@NabilAlawadhyفي الشام…طفلة عمرها خمس سنين تحفظ القرآن بسرعة كبيرة تسألها محفظتها لمن تحفظين القرآن بسرعة؟!فأجابتها الطفلة: (لا أدري متى سأُستشهد)!!

In Shaam, there's a 5 year old girl who is memorizing the Quran at a very fast pace. Her teacher asked her, "why are you memorizing the Quran so fast?" And she replied "I don't know when I will become a shaheed!"

SubhanAllah, look at what the priorities of a 5 year old are, mashaAllah.
    Had to bump these subhanAllah Jazakumullahu khairan for sharing.

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    by paying your zakah the zakah of knowledge is to teach it to others. also to thank allah by praying the night prayer with 1 juzz a night and learn more about quran and the qiraat and tafseer and all the sciences of quran caligraphy included
    Where's this brother gone? His advice in this thread was always very helpful.

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post
    How will we go on once we have finished doing hifdh?
    Warsh :D then more warsh :D oh and then finally warsh again :D

Originally posted by Illest View Post
    MashaAllaah..this is one of the best threads on the forum.

BarakAllaahu feekum
    Indeed this thread is just brilliant :masha:

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

I'm recovering from a fever and alhamdulilah most has gone, now I've just got the sore throat and cough which has effected my recitation and I keep getting the cough and an itchy throat. Any remedies? Or should I just leave it be? Don't got honey or ginger btw.

An alhamdulilah warsh classes are confirmed for after Ramadhan.
      Last edited by F_R; 18-06-13, 12:42 AM.

لا تفكر كثيرا
      بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
        I'm recovering from a fever and alhamdulilah most has gone, now I've just got the sore throat and cough which has effected my recitation and I keep getting the cough and an itchy throat. Any remedies? Or should I just leave it be? Don't got honey or ginger btw.

An alhamdulilah warsh classes are confirmed for after Ramadhan.
        Link
        "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
        (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Misk Academy

www.MiskAcademy.com

Misk Interviews Imam Ahmed Limame, Masjid Gatineau, Quebec

Posted on June 12, 2013

IWe didn’t catch Imam Ahmed on time to include in the E-Book “I Wanna Be a Haafidha Too”. It turned out for the best, because his answers are pretty awesome and deserve the spotlight here.

Imam Ahmed is originally from Mauritania where he learned a number of Qiraa’aat including Naafi’, Aasim, and Abu Amr. He is currently serving as the Imam of Masjid Gatineau, Quebec.

What was your motivation for dedicating your time in studying the Quran?

All the credits go in first place to the Mercy and the Will of Allah SWT then to the involvement of my parents especially my mother when I was very young. Her constant reminder and encouragement played a big role in giving me the needed motivation until I completed my memorization.

What strategy did you find worked best for memorizing and retaining the verses of the Quran?

The strategy which is widely used back home in Mauritania to retain the verses is that of the repetition and review process. The goal of this process is to place all memorized verses into our long-term memory. In other words we are basically trying to memorize everything and recall it just as we recall Surat al-Fatihah. We do memorize off of a small wooden tablet called a Lawh. And this is how it works:
          ◾Write the page [or two or three or four] on the Lawh in legible writing. You must read what is written to one who knows the Qur’an. It is not uncommon to mistakenly write something and start off reading it incorrectly
          ◾Proceed to read the text out loud while looking at the Lawh just as you would with a book. Read and read until you can read it without looking at all.
          ◾After memorizing the text, proceed to repeat what you memorized 500 times using the Misbah to count with. Yes 500 times and it is not a typo. In Mauritania we repeat each page of Qur’an 500 (five-hundred) times in our memorization.
          ◾Occasionally, read the verses while looking at the Lawh to insure that you have not left off anything.
          ◾ After completing 500 repetitions [or whatever high number you choose] take a break. You are done…at least for the 1st day.
          ◾Now on day two you will memorize new material and that means 500 more repetitions. With that however, you still have not finished from yesterday. After memorizing and repeating the new material, proceed to repeat yesterday’s material 150 times from memory.
          ◾On day three, you will memorize new material and that means 500 more repetitions. Don’t forget though, you still have to repeat yesterday’s [day 2] text 150 times and the day before that [day 1] text 50-75 times.
          ◾On day four, you will memorize new material and that means 500 more repetitions. Don’t forget though, you still have to repeat yesterday’s [day 3] material 150 times and the material from the day before [day 2] 50-75 times and the material from day one 10 times.

With this program, you will need less time to review what you have memorized because it will have entered into your long-term memory. Even though you know it well, you should always review your memorization of the Qur’an from front to back on a consistent basis, to make sure that you can connect every part together as one unit.

In the Canadian context you can replace the Lawh by a board or a tan paper.

How do you remain consistent with your Hifdh and knowledge of Qiraa’aat?

Practice and commitment – By reviewing it on a daily basis until you complete the khatm then restart again. As you maintain your daily reading you’ll be reviewing all of what you have memorized within the span of a week. Each Khatmah could be dedicated to one Qiraa’a and from time to time it is advisable that we review the fundamental rules pertaining to the different Qiraa’aat that we learned so far.

What are some pitfalls or mistakes most people fall into when memorizing?

Some of those mistakes are:
          ◾To memorize using different copies of the Quran instead of using the same copy (Mushaf)
          ◾Surpassing one’s daily limit without perfecting its memorization
          ◾Not reading to a consistent teacher
          ◾Not connecting the verses when moving from a page to another
          ◾Not taking advantage of the best years of memorization [between 5 and 23]
          ◾Stopping on places in the verse that would change completely the meaning intended by the Quran

Sometimes when it gets hard, you give up and it’s hard to get back into momentum. How do you keep going?

Purify your intention, beg Allah for His help and aspire for the Akhirah and the highest levels of Allah’s gardens.

How do you keep balanced?

You should treat the Qur’an as aziz (noble), making it your first priority and then try to balance everything else around it. Don’t do it the other way. Quran should never be the last item on your list of priorities.

Are there certain habits that could deter one from retaining what is memorized?

Obviously the habit of not reviewing what you memorized could very much deter your Hifdh. Committing sins is also another factor that can loosen your memorization.

Can you please give us an example of the kind of schedule you had when you were memorizing?
          ◾Day 1: 500 repetitions
          ◾Day 2: 500+150 (for material of day one)
          ◾Day 3: 500+150 (for material of day two) + 75 (for material of day one)
          ◾Day 4: 500+150 (for material of day three) +75 (for material of day two) +10 (for material of day one)
          ◾Day 5: Continues as day four along with reading everything at once a few times to ensure proper connection.

How do you protect yourself from the shaytan and his whispers that you’re not worthy of memorizing and that you should just give up before the Quran becomes a Hujjah/proof against you?

That is one of the traps of shaytan to keep us away from having the chance to be among the special People of Allah, and His Chosen Ones. Everything in this deen could be used against you if not used properly. The Qur’an is the ultimate way of guidance and call people to righteousness. Memorizing its verses and acting upon its injunctions improve our character and spark an internal transformation. The key is to purify your intention and keep checking your heart against the whispers of shaytan.

Should one study Tajwid and/or Tafsir before starting Hifdh?

Many scholars including Ibn Aljazari recommend studying the Tajweed before starting the Hifdh however the Tafsir could be delayed until Hifth is completed. For non-Arabic speakers using a translation of the meanings of the Quran could be helpful during the process of memorization.

What general advice do you have for any sister who is considering embarking on a journey with the Qur’an?

Purify your intention, have sincere Ikhlas (sincerity), surround yourself with sisters who are grounded in their Hifdh striving. And above all remember that you are the mothers of the next generations; and if you have the intention to raise generation of huffadh who embody the teachings of Qur’an that will certainly spark the renaissance of this Ummah insha-Allah.

http://www.miskacademy.com/blog
          Last edited by faatima18; 22-06-13, 04:44 PM.
          "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
          (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
          He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

Bismillah walhamdulillah

My friend and I memorize using the page-by-page method (see HD 14 for more details), and she advised me with the following, but it works for other methods of memorizing as well.

I used to recite the page about 15 times before committing it to memory. Then I would recite it about 5 more times without looking at the page. This would total ~20 reps. If I came back to the page a day later, I could recite it by heart after 15 minutes of review. This made me realize that I needed 15 more minutes of Memorization time. Then my friend mentioned that she was advised to do more reps when memorizing. She told me to do 50/100 reps of a page. It is a goal I am slowly working towards inshaAllah, so here is how it is going so far:

Now I do at least 26 reps for almost every page. It’s only 6 more reps, but it has made so much of a difference. When I come back to it days later, it is easy to recall to memory. On top of this, I don’t move my eyes from the page for many of these reps, especially the beginning ones [before I can recite it without looking] and the ones at the end [after I can recite it without looking]. Sometimes, out of habit, I begin to move my eyes away and fill in the blanks from my memory, but staring at the page while reciting has been better so far because this way, you will commit a picture of the page to memory, as well. Before this, I always had a vague picture of what the page looked like, but now with the constant looking, it has not only made the picture clearer but the picture lasts for a long time. I came back to a page once, (maybe after a week without review), and without looking at it I was able to recite almost the entire thing without mistakes because I remembered what the page looked like. Whenever my tongue was approaching the end of an ayah, my mind would show me the first few words of the next ayah.

In short, just increase the reps (whatever else you need to do can most likely wait 15 minutes). It is better to let the ayaat become ingrained in the beginning, rather than letting them sit on top of your minds like a piece of paper that is blown away by the slightest of winds.

Pinning it down in the beginning will provide the following benefits:

1. Confidence. It will increase you in confidence and make it easier for you to memorize subsequent pages. When your mind knows that everything you have memorized before is very murky, this lowers your morale.

2. Review Time. It will save you time on review.

3. Salah. It will make it easier for you to recite these ayaat in Salah. I have a theory that many memorizers of Qur’an still recite the same few verses or short surahs in their salawaat, because they don’t feel confident enough to recite anything else, although they may have many ajzaa’ of the Qur’an memorized. If we don’t benefit from Qur’an in our Salah, where else are we expecting to benefit from it?

4. Sincerity. It will make you feel better about your hifdh in general because the murky memorization does seem to have some insincerity associated with it, waAllahu Alam. But think about it, isn’t there something wrong with jumping to the next page when you know full well that you have almost forgotten the page before that? Let’s not turn Hifdh into a simple numbers game.

“Looking at the page”

This simply means keeping your eyes fixed on the page and on every word while you are reciting it aloud and doing your reps. It also helps to use a pen or your finger to point. If this is what you already do, keep it up. I didn’t – I used to purposely look away [often] to see if I could fill in the blanks. Even though I could, I never really got a solid picture of the page. Shaykh Fahd al Kendari (see HD 12 Traveler with Qur’an) recommends the following:

After you have memorized the page, recite it 15 more times while staring at the page. It will become glued to your mind and you’ll never forget it inshaAllah.

Also, by keeping your gaze fixed on the page and/or following along with a pointer, you are incorporating more senses (hearing and seeing), and this is supposed to be better for learning.

“All the reps in one sitting?”

I hardly ever memorize a page in ‘one sitting’ if this means that I sit and don’t get up. I memorize with the Pomodoro technique (see HD 14), so I recite for 15 minutes, take a break, and then recite again and so on. I may do my complete reps over a day or two, or more depending on how pressed I am for time and other factors. Even when I’ve done it all within a day, however, I did get up during the process and take a break when I felt like I needed it. Then I went back to doing the reps until I memorized the page.

Another technique that is really helpful is reciting the page 10 times shortly before bed. I noticed that when I do this, it is super easy to memorize that page the next day alhamdulillah.

http://almuqarraboon.wordpress.com/2...ease-the-reps/
            "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
            (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
            He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

assalamualikum
              Maa Shaa Allah
              Jazak Allah
              may Allah bless you always and make you capable of keeping Quran Memorized always... ameen
              my brother has also memorized Quran :)
              [url]http://muslim-academy.com/forum/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by faatima18 View Post
                Now I do at least 26 reps for almost every page. It’s only 6 more reps, but it has made so much of a difference. When I come back to it days later, it is easy to recall to memory. On top of this, I don’t move my eyes from the page for many of these reps, especially the beginning ones [before I can recite it without looking] and the ones at the end [after I can recite it without looking]. Sometimes, out of habit, I begin to move my eyes away and fill in the blanks from my memory, but staring at the page while reciting has been better so far because this way, you will commit a picture of the page to memory, as well. Before this, I always had a vague picture of what the page looked like, but now with the constant looking, it has not only made the picture clearer but the picture lasts for a long time. I came back to a page once, (maybe after a week without review), and without looking at it I was able to recite almost the entire thing without mistakes because I remembered what the page looked like. Whenever my tongue was approaching the end of an ayah, my mind would show me the first few words of the next ayah.
                reminds of a sheikh that said, when memorizing (qur'an, hadeeth, mutuun etc..) it's best to face a wall, without looking at anything else.. to keep your whole focus on that page and not to look at things that distract.. like he said some ppl like to memorize in gardens , but it actually obstructs a persons ability to memorize although he/she may not realize it
                º•○º○•Sabr... is like swallowing something bitter without showing any distaste on your face.•○º○•º -Imam Junaid

Comment

I'm starting to memorize short surahs recently (the ones at the end of the Qur'an)...and what i do is i read them with translation (i dont know arabic) as that helps them stick in my head. This is how i memorize them quickly:

1. Before sleeping i listen to the surah recitation on my phone, keeps it in my head all night and plus i can sleep easily.
                  2. Waking up, After fajr i do the same thing.
                  3. Finally, after every prayer i go over it 1-3 times.

Comment

:salams

The Messenger of Allah Muhammad [Peace be upon him] has emphasized the importance of memorizing and preserving the Quran.

"Whoever reads the Qur'an and memorises it, while he regards what it makes lawful as lawful and its unlawful as forbidden (i.e. he practises according to it), Allah Ta'ala will admit him into Jannah and will accept his intercession on behalf of ten such persons of his family who were doomed to the fire of Jahannam" (Hadith-Tirmidhi).

"He who learns the Qur'an and practices upon it, his parents will be made to wear a crown on the day of Qiyamah, the brilliance of which will excel that of the sun if the same were within your worldly houses. Hence, what do you think about the person who himself acts upon it?" (Hadith-Abu Dawood).

"The one who was devoted to the Qur'an will be told on the Day of Resurrection: `Recite and ascend (in ranks) as you used to recite when you were in the world. Your rank will be at the last Ayah you recite." [Hadith- Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi].
                    [Al Islah Publications].
                    من صمت نجا

He who keeps silent saves himself (Tirmidhi, Ahmad).

Comment

Omg look what my brother finally gave backkkk. I bought it 2years ago or more and he took it for work etc.

SubhanAllah memoriesssss.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	10740625

لا تفكر كثيرا
                      بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                        Omg look what my brother finally gave backkkk. I bought it 2years ago or more and he took it for work etc.
                        SubhanAllah memoriesssss.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57207[/ATTACH]
                        mashallah..

theres a feeling or special energy with the Quran, and even the smell..
                        La illaha ilallah

Comment

Originally posted by blanchoir View Post
                          mashallah..

theres a feeling or special energy with the Quran, and even the smell..
                          There are soo many memories associated with this specific mushaf. Me an my best buddy had the same phones and same mushaf an we'd test eachother and call eachother when we were out an about to test eachother and revise. On the bus the tube masjid, everywhere. Miss that stuff.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                          بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Must watch:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...7PCspYU#at=745

If you don't have much time then watch from around 12:20

Amazing subhanallah ...

Comment

Does anyone else find revision from the back ajzaa' 21 onwards more challenging that the first few?

I'm not sure why because I revise these back ones more so than the front ones however I still get stuck.
                              اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post
                                Does anyone else find revision from the back ajzaa' 21 onwards more challenging that the first few?

I'm not sure why because I revise these back ones more so than the front ones however I still get stuck.
                                20 to 25 are very challenging. I don't know what it is though but they are
                                الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

Working...
                                X