Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hifz Experiences

Originally posted by Bismiliah View Post
    Memorizing the quran and at old age IS NOT easy, especially when you have so many other responsibilities to fulfill. It's easier to imbibe the quran, or any knowledge that requires extensive memorization, as a child.

In my case, I memorized the entire quran at age 12 and it was unintentional result because I hadn't intended to memorize it. I was sent to quranic schools at age 6 sometime in the late 90s and I had memorize it 6 years later. We went to this particular school for 6 days a week and at least 6 hours a day(from 6-12:30 with a 45min break). Not to mention the teachers were strict and made sure you wouldn't go home to eat your breakfast if you hadn't recited back whatever lesson you were given for that day.

As an adult, it requires a lot more studying and a lot more discipline and motivation because no one is forcing you to memorize your lessons as opposed being a child where we had teachers who'd whip you if you did not master your lessons. It was more about wanting to escape the beating than it was wanting to memorize it.
    :start:

وَلَقَدۡ يَسَّرۡنَا ٱلۡقُرۡءَانَ لِلذِّكۡرِ فَهَلۡ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ۬
    And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition? (54:17)

It is easy at any age with the Help of Allah

Comment

Has anyone done muraaja'a qareeb wa ba'eed? How did you find it?
      اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post
        Has anyone done muraaja'a qareeb wa ba'eed?
        What is it?
        "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
        (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

If I'm on the first page of Surah tawbah, I would memorise that and revise 20 pages before that, and every day you add another 20. You get tested randomly, anyway this is qareeb.

Ba'eed is a much larger chunk and it's from beginning of mushaf, you aren't tested daily, maybe weekly..
          اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

If I'm on the first page of Surah tawbah, I would memorise that and revise 20 pages before that, and every day you add another 20. You get tested randomly, anyway this is qareeb.

Ba'eed is a much larger chunk and it's from beginning of mushaf, you aren't tested daily, maybe weekly..
            I didn't do that.

Our system was that say i was at the start of surah tawbah, then everyday i would recite from the last quarter of 9 until my current lesson, along with that every day i would do a portion be it half a juzz or more or less starting from the beginning until my lesson and then doing another round and so on and so forth.

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

do you think its possible to become hafiz by reading the quran so many times that you memorise it?

Comment

We didn't do it either. Our system was somewhat similar to what Abu Mus'ab described.

It is a bit strange though, in that during the time we did our hifz we weren't tested in that way, but then once we completed, we were expected to be able to do that. And then it happens in front of your parents and family and friends and everyone.....

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Originally posted by sudan View Post
                  do you think its possible to become hafiz by reading the quran so many times that you memorise it?
                  I highly doubt it. Maybe you could learn a few surahs that way, but not the entire Qur'an.

Comment

Daily testing is fine for me, what I struggle with is the bigger tests that include a whole surah and lots of mutashabihaat..

I don't quite understand the system described by Abu Mus'ab. I suppose every teacher has their own way.
                    اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Daily testing is fine for me, what I struggle with is the bigger tests that include a whole surah and lots of mutashabihaat..

I don't quite understand the system described by Abu Mus'ab. I suppose every teacher has their own way.
                      Who did you study by? I mean what ethnicity is your teacher?

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

I don't think he explained it that well. It's like this:

First is new lessons (sabak). This is what the student has memorised for the day. Could be a page or two or more, depending on the student's capability.

After that is recently memorised revision (sabak dhor). This is from the beginning of the juz the student is currently memorising, until his new lesson for that day.

After that is old revision (dhor). This could be two or three or more ajza, depending on the student's capability and how much he's already memorised. If for example he knows twelve ajza, and he recites two a day, then it will take him 6 days to complete a round. Then he'll start again. So every six days he revises all that he knows.

Comment

I got that wrong actually.
                          اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Must listen:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYkBnT4xv8

Comment

:salams:
                              How do you guys fit in revision with working/family life. It takes me at least an hour or two of revision to get one Juz solid. I don't always get this time especially with work/other commitments. And that is only one Juz! Ideally I should be making revision of 3 Juz solid every day. I can look in and read 3 Juz no problem, but it doesn't really improve my Qur'an. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Yaqoot Marjaan View Post
                                :salams:
                                How do you guys fit in revision with working/family life. It takes me at least an hour or two of revision to get one Juz solid. I don't always get this time especially with work/other commitments. And that is only one Juz! Ideally I should be making revision of 3 Juz solid every day. I can look in and read 3 Juz no problem, but it doesn't really improve my Qur'an. Any tips?
                                :wswrwb:

Listen to the Qur'an when traveling.

Try and recite in Salah.

Comment

Working...
                                X