This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hifz Experiences

Memorising the Qur'an can be easy but that depends on the persons commitments. For example when i did it, I use to go school and college.. so this was my daily timetable

6.30 -8.00 - hifz class
    8.45 - 3.25 - school [sometimes 4.30]
    5.00 - 7.30 - hifz class

Then I would eat, do homework and go sleep..

So for me it was quite tough.. The main thing is avoiding sin though.. A person that avoids sin will find it very easy to remember the qur'an. But obviously what the OP said is correct.

Majority of students in my area go through this timetable, so it is difficult, especially when you are in year 10/11 and college as you got tons of cw and hw...

But Allah selects which one of his servants he wants to remember his word

Comment

Thanks for making this thread. I want to add that you definitely need a teacher to help you with this.

Comment

this is pretty wow, for those who can understand urdu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOWewXjUMVU
        Jo kaam karta hai tu chup ke jahaan se
        koi dekhta hai tujhe aasmaan se

Comment

A taste of what it feels like to memorise the Qur'an:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Svd...eature=related
          Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvM7L5Wm7q0

‎"If she's not on the deen, she's not fit to be your queen. If he hasn't got imaan, he's not fit to be your man."

Comment

:start:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Imagine a roller-coaster ride with its many stops and starts, the adrenaline rush that you get and the test that you’re put through, both mentally and physically. Despite all this, you don’t want the ride to end. This has been my memorisation journey so far and it is one that will go on for a further time period that only Allaah Knows.

I spent some of my youth in Saudi Arabia where I used to attend a Qur’aan school and memorised a good chunk by the age of 7, and then we moved to the UK. I guess from this point onwards everything went downhill. My parents exerted all their effort in teaching me the English language and pushing towards excelling at secular studies. As a result, I lost virtually everything I had memorised and it was not until I started to learn about the Deen myself in my teenage years that I began to pursue lessons in Qur’aan again and encouraged my siblings too. It was from this point onwards that my journey restarted. But the hurdles in front of me were greater now as I had to literally start from the beginning, as in learn the alphabet all over again and I was in classes where I was with children much younger than myself but that didn’t put me off. Unfortunately, due to personal matters out of my control, I wasn’t able to attend these classes on a consistent basis and as a result, my progress was much slower than I would have liked. At times, I would become extremely disheartened by this but I carried on struggling and battling everyday in trying to put the Book of Allaah first. There were a lot of lessons that I learned from all those setbacks, and I am learning and benefitting from those lessons now. An example of such a setback was time management, I was really bad at that but now alhamdulillaah I’m certainly much better than before, and as with everything, I am striving to be better.

Even when I was able to memorise the Qur’aan, I was losing it shortly after. Why? Well, I wasn’t reviewing properly, I was using the wrong techniques and tools. And one thing you have to understand is that if you sin then you’ll most likely lose the Qur’aan, as it happened to imaam ash-Shaafi’ee (rahimahullaah) where his teacher advised him to abstain from sins. Furthermore, I wasn’t making the most of all the resources available to me such as tafseer of the Qur’aan and understanding the meaning of the aayaat or learning some of the Arabic words in order for me not to confuse two aayaat or the endings of these aayaat. The more I was memorising, the more I was coming across new styles of language in the Qur’aan, and so for example, I hit obstacles when it came to memorising certain soorahs such as Soorat-ul-Jinn and Soorah Shoora. This is normal and it shouldn’t make you depressed and stop you from progressing, and you just have to keep going inshaaAllaah and try out different approaches to help you see what works best for you.

So what steps did I take and what improvements have I seen?

Well firstly, helping my family to practice the Deen more has been a huge boost as they have been encouraging and supportive in my quest. Secondly, I got married. Having a companion to help you with memorisation, test you and help you with reviewing is really important, and if that companion has already been blessed with having memorised the Qur’aan (as is the case with me alhamdulillaah), then it is just amazing mashaallaah. Having a strong drive and love for the Qur’aan has kept me going despite the many pitfalls that I fell in. Even with these positive steps, I felt that I had to be alone and away from the many distractions surrounding me at home and so I decided to move, and what better place is there for the Qur’aan than Egypt mashaAllaah? I can honestly say that my time in Egypt is helping me a lot in terms of my memorisation as the only companion that I have other than my wife and teachers, is the Qur’aan. Memorising after Fajr is simply the best time for me right now, normally after I have completed my reviewing for the day. Furthermore, reading the tafseer and translation of the meaning of the Qur’aan, as well as studying the Arabic language are invaluable aids in terms of memorisation as well mashaAllaah, whilst increasing this great love for the Book of Allaah every day. It has been 3 months now and alhamdulillaah I have memorised just over 2 ajzaa (nearly finished Soorah Fussilat), something that may have taken me a year to do in London.

So how do I memorise in a typical day?

After Fajr, I review whatever I need to for the day, including anything new that I memorised the day before. After that, I will normally read the soorah that I’m currently memorising and the soorah before it (I am working my way up to al-Baqarah). Next I go to the new page and start memorising aayah by aayah, and don’t move forward until I am fluent in them. Depending on the soorah and the language, I may memorise half a page, a page or 2 pages in that time. In the case of a page or 2, I split it into 2 and again don’t move forward until I am able to fluently recite them. In the end, I recite the full page or 2. After this, I listen to Minshaawi and recite with him. When I find my wife free, then I get her to test me. Another method that has been very useful is getting my wife to recite the aayaat to me and I repeat after her. We do this verse by verse until I’ve memorised a whole page. This has been extremely beneficial for me when I am faced with soorahs that I am having difficulty in. Even with this method, I would go back to the mushaf afterwards and use it to build a photographic imprint of the page in my memory. Alhamdulillaah these methods have helped me a lot and my goal is to finish the Qur’aan during my time here and I pray to Allaah that He facilitates that goal for me. Aameen. Until then, my journey with the Qur’aan continues.

What advice would I give to those who want to memorise?

Don’t give up and don’t ever think that you cannot do it. I often had these whispers running through my mind and only in the last month or so have I managed to push them away. Now that I look back, I realise that this negativity played a large role in setting me back. I am not one of those people who are able to memorise large chunks of the Qur’aan within minutes and when I started out, it took me a long time to memorise just a few aayaat but as I keep going, it has been getting easier to memorise alhamdulillaah and I realise how true Allaah’s words are when He said:

وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِن مُّدَّكِرٍ

And We have indeed made the Qur’ân easy to understand and remember, then is there any that will remember (or receive admonition)? (Al-Qamar 54:17)

Link
            "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
            (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

:salams

:jkk: for this thread. That ayah you posted at the end ^^^ when i first came across it and an explanation of it, it really did and has given me the boost because Allah says that He has made the Quran easy to remember but who will remember. That really helps. One main thing as well that helps is making dua. I just want to add i started personally last year ramadhan (it took me a year to complete a juzz (on and off) but i was shocked when i heard others who had completed the entire Quran in like a year, and i though to myself how can it take me one year to complete a juzz. But i have also found that being consistent is the key and as you posted in the OP when you have a love for something that really drives you forward. An fitting it into your daily routine, like walking, sitting, waiting for the microwave to finish this really helps.

I used to think that it would be such a difficult journey, but i am continuing and inshaAllah we will all get there. An make it a competition (to really kick things in) compete with someone, be the one who knows the most in your house so you motivate others to memorise as well.

Use tafsir and definety a translation so you understand and learn what you are memorising so you can act upon it. I'm telling you, this journey is the best journey ever, the sweetness of learning more and more is amazing, it increases your iman, explains situations, you will also find yourself remembering certain ayaat in particular situations walahi! Another thing, depending on what juzz/surah you are currently memorising make sure you have the next juzz on your mp3 or phone and listen to that in your spare time (because it aids in memorisation). Make it a daily part of your routine, you will become a loner, isolating yourself from the rest of the fam in the house but what better thing to isolate yourself with than the Quran.

Whoever says that memorising the Quran is difficult is lieing because Allah has made it easy.

May Allah Swt accept our actions, purify our intentions, make us act upon what we learn, increase our ranks in janaah and have mercy upon this ummah ameen
              (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

jazakallah khayr! i think im just lacking the motivation
                Your 9/11 is how we live 24/7 ~ yours sincerely Palestine

My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jannah101 View Post
                  jazakallah khayr! i think im just lacking the motivation
                  Everyone needs that motivational push , its something different for everyone some people its umrah some people its hearing an ayah.

Just increase your sunnahs and duas and it should work out.

Comment

Originally posted by zaidfp View Post
                    Memorising the Qur'an can be easy but that depends on the persons commitments. For example when i did it, I use to go school and college.. so this was my daily timetable

6.30 -8.00 - hifz class
                    8.45 - 3.25 - school [sometimes 4.30]
                    5.00 - 7.30 - hifz class

Then I would eat, do homework and go sleep..

So for me it was quite tough.. The main thing is avoiding sin though.. A person that avoids sin will find it very easy to remember the qur'an. But obviously what the OP said is correct.

Majority of students in my area go through this timetable, so it is difficult, especially when you are in year 10/11 and college as you got tons of cw and hw...

But Allah selects which one of his servants he wants to remember his word
                    ما شاء الله
                    How long did it took you brother?
                    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Brother Raakin from the forum has a blog "Diaries of a Hafiz"
                      It contains his Ramadan experience from leading Taraweeh, other advices on Hifz etc.

http://diariesofahafiz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by .mirror. View Post
                        ما شاء الله
                        How long did it took you brother?
                        about 5 years

Comment

:jkk:

There is much very useful advice here. I love memorising, but as an english native speaker to whom Arabic does not come easily, it often seems very difficult and is quite daunting. I am very grateful for the encouragement. I think the advice to put a fixed amount of time aside very day for memorisation is excellent. There should be no excuses. Alhumdulillah there are so many excellent resources available on-line to help with memorising these days.
                          Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

Originally posted by the_middle_road View Post
                            Just so it's clear, I didn't write that post. And I'm not Abu Thabit. :p
                            shucks and here i was thinking i learnt your kunyah :|

"The `Aalim knows who is a Jaahil, because he used to be a Jaahil before. But the Jaahil does not know who is an `Aalim, because he was never an `Aalim before."

Imaam Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullaah in Majmoo`ul Fataawaa.

Comment

thanks for sharing.
                              'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
                              Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
                              علي الحبشي

Comment

:jkk: for sharing .how on earth i missed this thread.

For me personally 'look and read' review method is more beneficial than 'listen and recite' :d, awotelse helps me is reading loudly (not loud loud lol ) while recording it

ok i have few questions:

1. how do you guys manage to recite 1 loooooooooooooong ayah in 1 breath, i find it sooooooo hard infact sumtyms impossible.

2. do u breath thru nose or mouth while reciting? cos i dunno how i breath but my throat get dried up pretty quick.
                                Last edited by Al-hayaa; 01-10-10, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X