X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hifz Experiences

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post
    How do you solve a sore throat?

Cause everyday we have to recite a lot and my voice is strained towards the end of the day (when reciting, not talking). I'm not a man, I don't have a strong voice. :|
    Ummm, lozenges?

Originally posted by geeksupremo View Post
    :salams

SubhanaAllah, reading this thread really makes me want to memorize the Qur'an too! I only know some short surah though.

How does one start to memorize the Qur'an? I mean, what do I need? Other than determination of course. Is it hard? I don't have a teacher at the moment, can I start memorizing the shorter/easier surah on my own? I really want to memorize the Qur'an, but I'm just so scared if I only do it halfway, if you guys know what I mean.

By the way if there is another thread discussing about how to start memorize the Qur'an can someone please direct me to it
    :wswrwb:

Having a teacher is essential so you'll need to get one at some point if you're really serious about it. He will then guide you as to what you need to do. Some would say that it's possible to do it on your own but I wouldn't advise it.
    "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
    (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah Fatih View Post
      I definately agree with you on saffat. Short ayaats get me the most.
      Originally posted by MWarrior View Post
      I find Surah Saad and Saaffaat tricky and the thing which helps is repetition and practice. Plus listening to recitation continuously etc.
      Can understand, but saffaat and sad have been two of the easiest surahs to memorise walhamdulillah.
      اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

:start:

~~~

I walked through the streets of the Old City as I made my way to Masjidal Aqsa to perform the dawn prayer. Despite the cold breeze and stony glares from the Israeli soldiers, the atmosphere was quite serene. After the prayer, I commenced with the memorisation of my last few pages of sabaq (lesson).

A wave of lethargy washed over me as I struggled to retain the one page which I had memorised just minutes ago. After fighting back the urge to take a short nap, I eventually took the bait.

I awoke to the sound of elated Palestinians scurrying through the lively streets of Jerusalem, determined to reach the Haram before Jumu’ah.

I sat in Al-Aqsa after Jumu’ah and continued learning my sabaq. Fortunately, I succeeded in retaining the previous sabaq as well as learning a new page. I took a break and went for a walk with my mum. As I walked through the gullies, I felt my heart swell with love for this blessed land. I yearned for the day that this land would be liberated and returned to its rightful owners, Inshaa-Allah.

The aroma of freshly prepared falafel sandwiches made it difficult for us to resist. We munched on our sandwiches as we walked through the city, foraging for sweet and date shops. We purchased dates and traditional Palestinian sweets to take to the Haram and distribute after my completion.

I returned to the Haram and learnt the remaining ayaat of my sabaq. My eyes swelled with tears as memories filled my mind. I clearly recalled the first day I commenced my journey of hifdh. I realised that in a short period of time I will be a “Haafidha”, and the thought struck me: “Was I ready to live up to this honourable title of a ‘Haafidha’?”

My family and I, together with the Palestinian sisters, formed a circle in the Haram. I tried to calm the butterflies in my stomach as everyone settled down.

The tears cascaded uncontrollably as I recited my last sabaq to my father: Tears of sorrow because I was leaving this beautiful land the next day and did not know if I would ever come back again; Tears of joy as I realised how fortunate I was and how much of gratitude I owe to Allah.

For the past ten years of my life, I have yearned and prayed for the day in which I am able to recite from any chapter in the Qur’aan from memory. Alhamdulillah, today I have reached this milestone.

By Haafithah Aishah Vawda

~~~

Link

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

A Qur'aanic Odyssey

Comment

A Blessed Hifdh Journey

Comment

Teen girl dies soon after memorising Quran

Comment

After having been accepted in the Institute (by the grace of ar Rahmaan), I was placed in the group that memorised 1 side a day (which is what I initially wanted). However after a couple of days I was tested and told that it would be a waste of my capabilities to do one side a day hence I’ll be put in a group that memorised 2 sides a day. Since that group had already started and were quite ahead of me, ustaathah Ummu Salmaan

may Allah bless her and preserve her said that I would have private classes to catch up with them by memorising 4 sides a day! (starting from Sooratul Baqarah) And that is when I started to panic because I have always been memorising one side only, and I asked ustaathah Ummu Salmaan may Allaah preserve her, who’s always advising and encouraging the students. I asked how can I memorise 4 sides a day?! When I am at work 8am-3pm and I have to go back again from 5-8pm. She said I should have faith in Allah and that I can do it with the help of Allaah. She also gave advice and examples of parents with children who are still managing and so I gave it a go, having my trust in Allaah.

How I memorised 4.5 ajzaa’ in just over 2 months (30th Oct. 11- 10th Dec. 11)

How I did this I have no idea, except through the mercy and will of Allaah alone and then the constant support of my teacher and the Institute may Allaah grant them the best, in this world and the next.

Most of my memorisation was done at work. Every chance and break I got at work I used it to memorise. I used to work in a Muslim primary school. I would carry my mushaf with me everywhere, and sometimes even recite while in class when the children were doing their work, when we didn’t have a lesson, morning and lunch breaks and also when we had to go for salaah. I would go to the ICT rooms where they also had headphones wa lillaahil hamd. I used the computers to listen to the aayaat I was about to memorise and then memorise by reading half a page at time, repeating each half 10 times and going over the whole page a couple of times. I always tried reading the English of the verses that I didn’t understand. When I finished work at 3, a lot of the times I would carry something with me to eat so I wouldn’t go home after 3 I’d stay in school to finish my memorisation and resume working from 5pm to around 7.15 pm. I would get home around 7.45pm, I ate quickly and revised for my class at 8.30pm. And this is how it was for the majority of those 2 months. It was a very challenging task which requires a lot of sacrifice and dedication, I thank Allaah for enabling me to complete it successfully. “All praise and thanks are only for Allaah, the One who, by His blessing and favour, perfected goodness/good works are accomplished”

On the 10th of Dec. 11 I joined the group that was doing 2 sides a day and alhamdu lillaah, I got to meet very nice sisters 2 of whom were very local to me! In this group, I memorised up to the 7th juz’ from where I had left off.

Then on the 24th Jan. 12 me and another sister from that class were told that we will be placed in a new group along with 2 other noble sisters and from thereon, we’ll be memorising 3 sides instead of 2.

Alhamdu lillaah, it was a great blessing from Allaah to be put in both groups. I got to meet very pleasant sisters whom I’ve always enjoyed their company. May Allaah preserve them all and grant them success.
                We have now reached Surah Al-Khaf, Juz 15.

My current method of memorising

The sisters from my class have explained in detail how we do the 3 sides in class, may Allaah reward them.

After the lesson in class, I do the following although it may vary sometimes.

I try to make sure I read Tafseer ibn Kathir of the verses I’m going to learn before memorising. This is one of greatest parts that I enjoy in my memorisation, because by reading the tafseer I learn a lot of new things that I never knew before. I learn the virtues of certain Soorahs, especially with Sooratul Faatihah and Sooratul Baqarah, I came to know how important they were in a Muslim’s life and how neglectful and heedless of them I was before.
                I memorise half a page 10 times, and the other half 10 times then I do the whole page 5 times- before memorising each half, I try to listen to a recitation of what I’m about to memorise and read along (I may keep repeating certain verses that I feel I’m weak at). Doing all 3 pages this way takes me up to 2 hrs.

Sometimes, I wake up around 2.30 am to memorise as I feel that is when my mind is refreshed and there are no distractions at this time. I use the day to review past memorisation and revise the 3 pages I have done the day before. Some days, I meet up with 2 sisters or one of my classmates on Skype and we review together.

Things that aid me in memorising

- First and foremost the founder of the Institute who facilitated for us learning the Qur'aan online and wrote the program and secondly our teacher at the Institute, ustaathah Eemaan from Alexandria Egypt, may Allaah preserve her. I cannot thank her enough. Our teacher’s very gentle, patient and forbearing with us. If we make a mistake she would correct us and repeat it to us countlessly and at the end of our reading she tells us to make a note of the recitation mistake on our mushaf so that we don’t repeat it and so that we memorise the Qur'aan with correct Tajweed, may Allaah reward her.

- Reading the tafseer

- Reciting what I memorise in salaah especially the Sunnah prayers as I can put the mushaf in front of me and look when I get stuck.

- Always listening to the soorahs whenever I’m doing any tasks in the house, when shopping, on my way to the bus stop etc...

We’re all aware of the benefits and reward of memorising the Qur’aan in this world and the next, so

why do not we rush to learn it? So whoever gets the chance to study at the this Institute then let them grab it with both hands as they don’t know whether they’ll get the chance again or not.

May Allaah accept our actions and purify them from riyaa and shirk. May Allaah forgive all our shortcomings and grant us success in doing what pleases him.

Subhaanakallaahumma wa bihamdika ash-hadu an laa ilaaha illaa anta astaghfiruka wa atoobu ilayk.

-Student from the Advanced Class-

UK

Was salaamu alaikum.
                It's not my story. But it's a story from an institute that I get emails from. I found it really inspiring.

Ladies should check it out: http://moderationinstitute.com

If you can afford it, don't miss the chance. :)
                اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

I really hate being inconsistent with memorizing the Quran. For instance for a few weeks I will hit it hard but something will come up which messes up my schedule and then it results in me putting of my hifz for a few weeks.

anyone else like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamnah View Post
                    It's not my story. But it's a story from an institute that I get emails from. I found it really inspiring.

Ladies should check it out: http://moderationinstitute.com

If you can afford it, don't miss the chance. :)
                    SubhanAllah that gave me a really big boost, really need to start memorising more pages per day after I finish these stupid exams -.-
                    http://s14.postimg.org/v1lw1cm69/ummahanim.gif
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/akh_fuaadh

Comment

Originally posted by Excuse_me View Post
                      I really hate being inconsistent with memorizing the Quran. For instance for a few weeks I will hit it hard but something will come up which messes up my schedule and then it results in me putting of my hifz for a few weeks.

anyone else like this?
                      The moment you decide you want to do hifdh you will either do it or you will not. No one can help you with having determination that is something you have to find in yourself. I learned that the hardway. If your putting your hifdh of you have only yourself to blame. Hifdh needs dedication for a number of months it needs time and effort.

if you have that drive and motivation you will find yourself being a hafidh in no time if you dont you will look back 2-3 years from now and think what happened .
                      As my shaykhs says facebook happened lol

Comment

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
                        The moment you decide you want to do hifdh you will either do it or you will not. No one can help you with having determination that is something you have to find in yourself. I learned that the hardway. If your putting your hifdh of you have only yourself to blame. Hifdh needs dedication for a number of months it needs time and effort.

if you have that drive and motivation you will find yourself being a hafidh in no time if you dont you will look back 2-3 years from now and think what happened .
                        As my shaykhs says facebook happened lol
                        This is just the pure truth.
                        http://s14.postimg.org/v1lw1cm69/ummahanim.gif
                        Twitter: https://twitter.com/akh_fuaadh

Comment

anyone else like this?
                          Last edited by faatima18; 05-05-14, 07:19 AM.
                          "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
                          (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
                          He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

What a excellent thread mashallah

Heres my story http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...t=#post4698710

Comment

anyone else like this?
                              Goes without saying, personally I can't do it on my own without the guidance of my teachers. You need set classes and teacher/s that will encourage you, set your homework, revision, correction of makhaarij etc..

These are just some ideas,

1) Do you study? If so, how much do you need to put into your studying? If you can finish off all your work by a certain time outside of classes and stuff, then you will have time.
                              2) Try hard to stick your schedule, if your plates becoming too full, you need to take off a few things. Not completely, but slow it down, you're better off memorising at a slower pace than doing so much and then leaving it for months.
                              3) Do you have responsibilities? If you do, sort it out, example, I have an appointment today, so I have to have everything done before that. I have to. Drill that into your head, your Qur'an you MUST fit it in. Housework, helping your mum and dad, you can do all of this, but only if you work round a set schedule.
                              4) Friends and family? I'm not saying become a recluse, spend some time with them, then move away and do your stuff what needs doing. You gotta have a social life, but organise them meetings where it's not in the way of your Qur'an.

Most importantly - Be positive and have tawakkul in Allah. Try hard you know, and things will become easy. These are a few things that I work by. I do slip up, like today I woke up later than I should have, I was already late for my revision, but I made sure I put in that time I had wasted sleeping. :/

Don't feel overwhelmed, be calm. You'd be surprised. ;)

May Allah place barakah in your time, and in ours, may Allah make it easy for us and give us ikhlaas, ameen ya rabbal aalameen.
                              Last edited by Hamnah; 31-05-12, 09:52 AM.
                              اذاً لن يضيعنا الله

Comment

Ameen.
                                وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Working...
                                X