• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Figs
    replied
    Re: Hifz Experiences

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    A haafidh who used to lead taraweeh at the masjid was seen openly/publically doing sins. Obviously the first thing everyone points to is the fact he has memorized the quran so well.
    I don't think i need to say much more, it's just frightening what's happening to people these days.
    Subhanallah.

Maybe because people have overvalued the status of being a hafidh and have undervalued learning the actual meaning of the Quran...I think.

Either way it's sad. I know someone who refused to lead taraweeh but then was paid to do so because they wanted the 'people to hear how good he was at reciting'.

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

A haafidh who used to lead taraweeh at the masjid was seen openly/publically doing sins. Obviously the first thing everyone points to is the fact he has memorized the quran so well.
    I don't think i need to say much more, it's just frightening what's happening to people these days.

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

Originally posted by Salams2All View Post
    Guys I have this problem where I freeze up before reciting. I've been like this for a reeally long while.. one of the reasons why it took me so long to get a teacher again lol. So I had to fight everything in me to not freeze up while reciting today and now I have a neck cramp. How do you guys get passed your nerves while reciting to a teacher? Just the thought of people listening and a teacher listening while I'm reciting causes me such intense stress lol.. I know the key is probably reciting out loud constantly and having others listen to my recitation until I get used to reciting to people. Truthfully, I don't recite Quran out loud unless I'm alone in a room and the door is closed and nobody is in close proximity. It's funny because I love talking and I have no problem giving presentations or talking to large groups of people, but reciting Quran to even one person makes me get weird. I remember a couple of years ago I went to this Quran class and they were doing subcis for juz Amma (like they were in a circle and everyone read an ayat starting from a specific surah onwards). I knew what my ayah would be it was one of the ayah's in surah Bayyinah. I was ready. I kept repeating the ayah in my head over and over again. When it was my turn I froze literally didnt say anything. There was something about the way everyone was looking at me lol. I tried searching for the ayah in my head, but my mind went blank so I just stared off into space and hoped nobody would notice me. The girl beside me was whispering the ayah to me too and I just couldnt say it I literally froze up
    I mean in the end they skipped me and I felt like a moron, but what can ya do.

I just reeeeally dont want this issue to affect me learning the Quran. My neck still hurts and my mind went blank while I was reciting again, but I somehow got through it alhamdulilah.

I dont know about you guys but I'm the type of person that drops things if I'm not good at it off the bat. There's this little bit of me that wants to stop reciting to a teacher and believe that everything is all hunky dory.. I can pretend that I don't have stage fright when reciting Quran, but at the end of the day what good will that do me? I know that this is probably coming from the shaytan or maybe this little itty bitty thought is in my head because of my pride.. and this is proof that I need to fix myself up.

I mean I've been sitting here trying to get the tajweed right and everything and when I finally started reading to my teacher I just wanted to crawl out of my skin and camouflage with the walls.

It's s'all good though. Struggling is good. In the end, if Allah wills for me to get better I'll look back at these days and appreciate the struggle, and if I dont get better then inshaAllah there'll be a day where I'll look back and still appreciate the struggle.

Input would be greatly appreciated from you guys
    [MENTION=72222]F_R[/MENTION] I bought a journal btw. Gonna write things down now loool.

[MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=130730]Rumaysah~[/MENTION]
    are you afraid about making mistakes or worry about what others will think?
    The more you recite in front of a teacher or others the easier it gets. What can help is to stick with one teacher first and only recite to that one because with time you will get more and more comfortable with that teacher. Even if you can barely recite the first few times just don't give up, as soon as you get over the first hurdle the rest will be easy.

Also accept the fact that you will make mistakes, you may not remember your portion well enough some days, revision may be bad on other days but that's part of learning and the teacher is there for a reason. Keep reminding yourself you're there to learn. Focus on the quran and what you are reciting instead of whatever is making you nervous. Your teacher will understand and correct you, nobody was born perfect.

Make dua before every class that Allah makes it easy for you and put your trust in Allah. Say bismillah, start your class and don't stress about it so much. Keep relaxed and it will all come to you :insha:
    Most importantly, get to know your teacher and get comfortable reciting to her so that you don't end up quitting due to stress/nerves.
    Last edited by Rumaysah~; 09-12-15, 12:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

• F_R
    replied

And congrats on the notebook too lol it'll help iA :)

Leave a comment:

• F_R
    replied

[MENTION=72901]Salams2All[/MENTION] I think when you're doing something new nerves are always there. I too was extremely nervous when reciting knowing full well others are listening and even felt intimidated at times when I heard others' recitation which was (is) better but with time the nerves went coz I got used to it. Its the same case with you I presume. You just gotta stop over thinking it and get on with it and keep on doing it so you're finally used to it. You're there to learn and aren't expected to come in with full ability so mistakes (if that's what's bothering you) are part of everything. And if others hear your mistakes then it is also a learning curve/kerb for them too (which is why I get my girls to recite and everyone to concentrate and listen so I don't have to repeat the corrections and they don't make the same mistakes).

You'll get used to it but have to keep practicing and attending the class. Also remind yourself that you're there to learn.

Dunno why you're getting neck cramps tho :/ maybe you're straining yourself too much. Relax and don't be so stiff if that's the case.

One more thing, because this is a good thing and something that will change your life in shaa Allah and that will inevitably keep the shayateen away from you, know that the shaytan doesn't want this for you and that he will do whatever he can to prevent you from this. He will make a thousand excuses for you to not bother continuing so he can have his influence and win. He will.make you overthink and blame it on nerves or that people are listening or tell you that you are rubbish blah blah. Be careful of this trap too. Coz really its just the beginning where you need most of your fight. If you overcome this hurdle then iA you will overcome others which will come coz he will make you feel demotivated at times and make you take long unnecessary gaps in hifdh etc until you finally reach the first goal. Then he will prevent you from revising your quraan regularly etc etc etc. I guess this is life and we have to overcome these hurdles. May Allah grant us imaan hidayah maghfifa and accept our actions and good intentions ameen

Leave a comment:

• Salams2All
    replied

Originally posted by Figs View Post
    [MENTION=72901]Salams2All[/MENTION]

My anxiety (especially when a new teacher is involved, yikes!!) involves me running out of oxygen when I am reciting, voice shaking, and I feel like fainting.
    And also me feeling like vomiting when I am about to recite. Although I was a good student, previous experiences of me being the 'dumb student' and the hanger caused me to feel anxiety when I got older and decided to start over again. Took a while but now I am comfortable with reciting to the teacher and feel ok with it.

Deep breaths, remembering why you started, having the teacher know you're suffering from anxiety, these all help tremendously. If your parents are involved or ask the teacher if you passed or not this can be a very big part of the anxiety issue.

But I am worried about your neck cramps, I never met anyone who had cramps other than stomach cramps when suffering from anxiety. I hope F-R can help us out on this one insha allah.
    Insha allah will also try doing some research about other symptoms of anxiety so we can figure out how to help you conquer this insha allah. You can do it grl:up:
    [MENTION=132481]F-R[/MENTION] where is F-R when you need her?

-Figs
    I blame it only the whole fight or flight concept lol. My shoulders get tense when I feel uncomfortable hence the neck cramps.

:jkk: though! Your advice makes a lot of sense and I think taking deep breathes will help in the long run.

Nice to know you've gotten better.. it gives me hope lool.

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

[MENTION=72901]Salams2All[/MENTION]

My anxiety (especially when a new teacher is involved, yikes!!) involves me running out of oxygen when I am reciting, voice shaking, and I feel like fainting.
    And also me feeling like vomiting when I am about to recite. Although I was a good student, previous experiences of me being the 'dumb student' and the hanger caused me to feel anxiety when I got older and decided to start over again. Took a while but now I am comfortable with reciting to the teacher and feel ok with it.

Deep breaths, remembering why you started, having the teacher know you're suffering from anxiety, these all help tremendously. If your parents are involved or ask the teacher if you passed or not this can be a very big part of the anxiety issue.

But I am worried about your neck cramps, I never met anyone who had cramps other than stomach cramps when suffering from anxiety. I hope F-R can help us out on this one insha allah.
    Insha allah will also try doing some research about other symptoms of anxiety so we can figure out how to help you conquer this insha allah. You can do it grl:up:
    [MENTION=132481]F-R[/MENTION] where is F-R when you need her?

-Figs

Leave a comment:

• Salams2All
    replied

Guys I have this problem where I freeze up before reciting. I've been like this for a reeally long while.. one of the reasons why it took me so long to get a teacher again lol. So I had to fight everything in me to not freeze up while reciting today and now I have a neck cramp. How do you guys get passed your nerves while reciting to a teacher? Just the thought of people listening and a teacher listening while I'm reciting causes me such intense stress lol.. I know the key is probably reciting out loud constantly and having others listen to my recitation until I get used to reciting to people. Truthfully, I don't recite Quran out loud unless I'm alone in a room and the door is closed and nobody is in close proximity. It's funny because I love talking and I have no problem giving presentations or talking to large groups of people, but reciting Quran to even one person makes me get weird. I remember a couple of years ago I went to this Quran class and they were doing subcis for juz Amma (like they were in a circle and everyone read an ayat starting from a specific surah onwards). I knew what my ayah would be it was one of the ayah's in surah Bayyinah. I was ready. I kept repeating the ayah in my head over and over again. When it was my turn I froze literally didnt say anything. There was something about the way everyone was looking at me lol. I tried searching for the ayah in my head, but my mind went blank so I just stared off into space and hoped nobody would notice me. The girl beside me was whispering the ayah to me too and I just couldnt say it I literally froze up
    I mean in the end they skipped me and I felt like a moron, but what can ya do.

I just reeeeally dont want this issue to affect me learning the Quran. My neck still hurts and my mind went blank while I was reciting again, but I somehow got through it alhamdulilah.

I dont know about you guys but I'm the type of person that drops things if I'm not good at it off the bat. There's this little bit of me that wants to stop reciting to a teacher and believe that everything is all hunky dory.. I can pretend that I don't have stage fright when reciting Quran, but at the end of the day what good will that do me? I know that this is probably coming from the shaytan or maybe this little itty bitty thought is in my head because of my pride.. and this is proof that I need to fix myself up.

I mean I've been sitting here trying to get the tajweed right and everything and when I finally started reading to my teacher I just wanted to crawl out of my skin and camouflage with the walls.

It's s'all good though. Struggling is good. In the end, if Allah wills for me to get better I'll look back at these days and appreciate the struggle, and if I dont get better then inshaAllah there'll be a day where I'll look back and still appreciate the struggle.

Input would be greatly appreciated from you guys
    [MENTION=72222]F_R[/MENTION] I bought a journal btw. Gonna write things down now loool.

[MENTION=125704]Figs[/MENTION]
    [MENTION=130730]Rumaysah~[/MENTION]
    Last edited by Salams2All; 08-12-15, 10:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rumaysah~
    replied

Originally posted by Figs View Post
    Did she listen to you or did she help you read and correct?

I agree. I find that I can benefit the most when someone else is with me while I am practicing, even if they just listen to every few ayaat I memorize.
    Makes quite a difference :)
    I could already read it but because we had extra time she went through the whole memorization process with me.
    So i would read each verse a few times by looking then i would do it without looking and she would correct as i went along and tell me where i needed to repeat the ayah or join everything together from the top of the page.

Leave a comment:

• AbulUthman
    replied

One thing I would say is take the initiative. Once you've started memorising the Quran, there's no going back. We have 24 hours everyday yet we won't spend any of it for hifdh. I don't have time, I'm too busy is just a lame excuse. Half an hour everyday atleast is quite sufficient for a start.

I used to intend to memorise no less than a page, and would end up memorising nothing at all for months cuz I wouldn't put effort into memorisation. No matter how less you memorise, just make sure you make it a habit. Memorise everyday!
    Last edited by AbulUthman; 04-12-15, 09:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

Originally posted by AbulUthman View Post
    :jkk: Ameen
    Waiyyakum.

Leave a comment:

• AbulUthman
    replied

Originally posted by Creamcake View Post
    Masha ' Allah 1/6, go on AU.

you're doing awesomely, Masha ' Allah

May Allah s.w.t always make it easy for you to memorise, retain and practice. Ameen.
    :jkk: Ameen

Leave a comment:

• Creamcake
    replied

Masha ' Allah 1/6, go on AU.

you're doing awesomely, Masha ' Allah

May Allah s.w.t always make it easy for you to memorise, retain and practice. Ameen.

Leave a comment:

• Figs
    replied

Originally posted by Rumaysah~ View Post
    ok figured it out, I know now what method works for me but unfortunately it's one that is hard to follow
    I found a teacher today who is available at a more decent time then my last class, she spent an hour with me actually helping me memorize a few pages.
    this time everything actually sunk in and I managed to memorize those few pages very well and quite effortlessly Alhamdulillah. so what I need is someone watching/monitoring me while I actually memorize. I'm happy today, happy I found something that works : )
    Did she listen to you or did she help you read and correct?

I agree. I find that I can benefit the most when someone else is with me while I am practicing, even if they just listen to every few ayaat I memorize.
    Makes quite a difference :)

Leave a comment:

• AbulUthman
    replied

One sixth of the Quran almost memorised alhamdulillah!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X