Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etiquette of Salah

Salaamu alaikum,

I was at the masjid praying the other day and a young brother (probably about 10 years old) stood next to me and began to mimic my movements. I'm a new shahada, and this was the first time this has happened. It really made my day and instilled in me the concept of Ummah.

Please excuse my trivial questions, but I'm curious about the different etiquette of salaah I should be aware of.

Is it considered unusual if I join a random brother in prayer? Are there people who wouldn't appreciate that (in general)?

Are there times when I absolutely shouldn't do this?

If I finish my prayer and someone is behind me, is it ok for me to stand up and leave, or would this be a distraction? One brother told me about putting my hand out if I must pass in front of someone performing salah..?

If I'm praying and someone joins me, but I'm just about finish, should I perform extra rakahs so they can finish (i guess so that I dont defeat the purpose of him joining me)?

There are just general questions. And if there's anything more, please let me know! I hope some of you can help me out, inshallah. :)

Re: Etiquette of Salah

Originally posted by Davidc View Post
    Is it considered unusual if I join a random brother in prayer? Are there people who wouldn't appreciate that (in general)?

No, it's not unusual at all. People join others in prayer all the time, the more the congregation the better. Generally, I've never seen people not appreciate being joined in prayer. If anything they might find it strange if you go off and pray on your own when you could have joined them.

Are there times when I absolutely shouldn't do this?

Hmm.. not that I know of? Because even if you thought the person you joined was praying one thing but they were praying another, that's okay because it's whatever you had the intention to pray. So if you joined someone and they were praying extra prayers (sunnah) for example and not the regular 5 times a day prayers, that's fine because you can have intention for a certain salah and still join someone who isn't praying the same salah as you but rather has a diff intention.. (I don't know if that made sense)

If I finish my prayer and someone is behind me, is it ok for me to stand up and leave, or would this be a distraction? One brother told me about putting my hand out if I must pass in front of someone performing salah..?

If you want to wait for them to finish you can, but you can get up and leave as well, it's not impolite or anything. Just be careful of passing infront of people who are praying without something infront of them (a sutrah) e.g. a chair, bag, pillar etc. you can put something in front of them and then pass (no, your hand doesn't count) or walk behind them if there's space but never pass in front of them.. Although if everyone's praying in congregation and the imam is leading, you can pass infront of the rows of people because only the Imam needs a sutrah in that case.

If I'm praying and someone joins me, but I'm just about finish, should I perform extra rakahs so they can finish (i guess so that I dont defeat the purpose of him joining me)?

No, no. Don't ever add rak'ahs to your prayer that aren't part of the regular amount you're supposed to pray. This is because we have a prescribed amount of rak'ahs to pray in each salah, so if we add extra rak'ahs then that would defeat the whole concept of following Islam according to the sunnah of the prophet (saw). So just go ahead and finish your prayer off, it doesn't defeat the purpose of him joining you because he still joined you and ppl are used to not catching the whole salah of the person they join all the time. It's not a huge deal, don't worry.

There are just general questions. And if there's anything more, please let me know! I hope some of you can help me out, inshallah. :)

Can't think of anything else right now, but feel free to ask anymore Qs as they come inshaAllah
    Wa alaykum asalaam brother!

These are all very good questions, not trivial at all actually. And mashaAllah @ the little boy copying you, it's always cute when children do that.

The answers to your questions I wrote in bold above
    May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
    I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
    My Blog

Comment

Working...
    X