• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a woman in islam

← WHY ARE WE BEING OPPRESSED???

WHAT IS A WOMAN IN ISLAM

Posted on September 14, 2010 by aaysha26
    A woman in Islam is either a mother, a wife, a sister and a daughter who has the right to take and duty to serve and never a mistress nor a harlot. A woman in Islam is the source of happiness to her husband, a tender loving mother to her children, a sweet and caring daughter and a chaste and modest sister.
    Allah has bestowed us with the blessings of Islam and the belief together with their inclusive (latent) might and pride for the whole humanity generally, and the woman in particular. Islam has honored her so much. It has laid down the legitimate laws which protect her chastity and also secure for her the ways of self realization, dignity and the fulfillment of her rights. Such quality are so high and exalted that they cannot be reached to, and are so noble that they cannot be touched by the hands of the frivolous (wicked) or even viewed by the eyes of the licentious.
    Hijab (veil) is the stronghold to each woman since it cautions her against harm and the influence of the one in whose heart is a disease. Veil has been prescribed legitimately upon woman to block out the occurrence of the temptations, it raised the status of a woman to a higher rank of honor, chastity, purity and eminence of character. Hijab has been prescribed upon women by Allah which has been mentioned in the Quran.
    Oh Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks all over their bodies. That will be better, that they should be known so as not to be annoyed. Al-Ahzab:59
    And too draw their veils over their bossoms. Quran 24:31
    Wearing of Hijab (veil) is a sign of the completion of faith by a woman who wore it for the fear of Allah and seeking to please Allah but not as a customary and habitual matter. The woman who covers herself will be covered with chastity, modesty and purity and all of these qualities are the integrated part of faith.
    Hijab (veil) is a crown over every pious Muslim woman who has a common sense for what benefits her, what harms her and what hurts her dignity and feelings. Such a conservative woman will be like twinkling pearls preserved away from the hands of the wicked and curious persons and lips of those who play upon the woman and her rights.
    Complete hijab, also includes the moral conduct, behavior, attitude and intention of the individual and does not ends in the criteria of the clothes. The hijab of the clothes should be accompanied by the hijab of the eyes, hijab of the heart, hijab of thought and hijab of intention. Hijab also includes the way a person walks, the way a person talks and the way a person behaves. (Islam Question and Answer)
    The Hijab of the heart is a very serious matter, even more in some instances than the outer garments. How can anyone put clean garments over something that is so dirty? We shudder when we hear this, but how many people have an impure heart, impure thoughts and try to cover these with clean clothing.
    Sisters, our deen is from the inside out. Our clothing should be an outward manifestation of the deen we believe and practice in our hearts and minds. We must be modest in the way we think, what we do, what we say, where we go, what we hear.
    On the day when we stand before Allah our body parts themselves, will either testify for us, or against us. Our hijab must reflect our inner love of the deen and Allah(SWT), and our determination to live a life pleasing to our Creator from whom nothing is hidden. Hijab is the banner of Islam, a barometer of faith for a woman
    Be careful my sisters in Islam, not to allow yourself involved in any attempt to imitate the unbelieving women, Jews and Christians either in their modes of fashion or making a public display of their beauty and finery..beware of not going to the footsteps of satan.
    And whoever contradicts and opposes the Prophet (salallahu alayhi wasallam) after the right path has been shown clearly to him, and follows other than the believers way We shall keep him in hell what an evil destination. Quran 4:115
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Re: What is a woman in islam

MashAllah!!!

Comment

"Permission" to visit parents

In quite a few threads, I have noticed that a wife has to get permission from here husband to visit her parents.. Something which I find hard to digest.

If my wife wanted to meet her parents, she only needs to inform me.. I would also inform her if I wanted to meet my parents. It is done out of mutual respect.

I do not think a husband can just simply deny his wife from meeting her family, I consider that an abuse of authority.

Yes, if I would like her to be with me instead, I would respectfully talk to her about it. In the end, whatever the outcome, I would make sure it is mutually acceptable.

Yet on a few threads, I have read things like the husband making sure that his wife does not have contact with her family, denying her this "permission" to meet them and even reprimanding her if she does.

So dear forumites, I just wanted to know what you think of this scenario.. Whether the husband has the rights over his wife to cut off her communication with her family.

Comment

Re: "Permission" to visit parents

The husband cannot ask her to cut off communication with her family as Muslims are not permitted to break the ties of kinship even if their family were non muslims.

As for forbidding her from seeing them her can only do so if there is chance that allowing it will have some negative consequences such as if the husband is incapable of taking care of the children (if he's disabled etc) and he needs her to stay for such reason.

So there has to be some justifiable and logical reason. If there isn't one however then he has to allow her to see them as honouring parents is a big part of Islam and the husband should not make him self the reason that she can't achieve that.
        Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: Where are those who loved each other for the sake of My glory? Today, on a day when there is no shade but Mine, I shall shade them with My shade.(Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

a beleiving man would never make it that difficult for his wife to vist her parents, upholding ties with familiy, and treating our parents well is such an important part of our deen, that any beleiving man would surely rush to take his wife to visit her parents if they live far away, and if theyre closer then im sure he could have no problem with her going to them whenever she needs to.
          "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Yes, if I would like her to be with me instead, I would respectfully talk to her about it. In the end, whatever the outcome, I would make sure it is mutually acceptable.
            This is what any sane and just man would do, in accordance to the hadith where it is stated that the best of men are those who are kindest to their wives.

We should still accept that a man does in fact hold the authority (if you will) over allowing her to leave or not. Just as in the case where a wife cannot do non-obligatory fasts without the husband's permission. The husband has been given the position of ameer of the household by Allah and has the responsibility to guide. So, it is only out of adab and respect that a wife would ask (or if they have a relationship where the man is always permissive, then at least just inform).

The way I see it, a pious God fearing wife who has a just, kind and caring husband, has no good reason to refuse a husband's request in any matter. Likewise, a just, kind and God fearing husband has no good reason to be treating his wife 'like a slave', so he shouldn't refuse unless there is in fact a compelling reason (e.g. her family is mean spirited and they poison her mind with bad things but she is too naive to realise it).

This above kind of relationship would be blessed and Allah would have mercy and shower rewards upon both, compared to one where the husband is abusing his authority or where the wife is not accepting of the position Allah has bestowed upon the husband.

Comment

There should be mutual agreement in everything, not just this issue.

But yeah, it's her right to be able to visit her parents.
              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Some people are hung up about asking permissions. In reality, very few women actually do it - they just inform their husband. No-one really seeks out "I permit you to attend" type of response in real life married couples.
                You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

I always ask my husband for permission.

He's never said No.

From what I understand. A decent husband wouldnt prevent his wife from seeing her parents. However, that doesnt negate the fact that a wife needs her husbands permission to visit them.
                  https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

In the "book of Marriage" of his masterpiece Ih.y' `Ulm al-Dn Imm al-Ghazzl cites the "h.adth of the camel-saddle" which came to us through at least six Companions and is therefore a nearly mass-narrated, mashhr narration: A woman from the tribe of Khath`am asked the Prophet , "Tell me what is the right of the husband over the wife? For I am an unmarried woman and I shall marry if I can, otherwise I shall remain unmarried." He said:
                    "The right of the husband over the wife is that if he wants her she must not prevent him, even if she were sitting on the back (z.ahr) of a camel. Also among his rights is that she must not give out anything from his house except by his permission. Otherwise, she shall bear the burden of sin while he shall obtain the reward.
                    Also among his rights is that she must not fast a single day voluntarily without his permission;

if she does, then she has only gone hungry and thirsty and it shall not be accepted from her. She must not leave his house except by his permission.
                    Otherwise, she is cursed by the angels of the heaven, by the angels of mercy, and by the angels of punishment until her return." "Even if he is a wrongdoer [in keeping her from going out]?" "Even if he is a wrongdoer."
                    She said: "I shall never marry!"

The correct wording is not the "back" but the "saddle" (qatab) of the camel as in the h.adth, "When the man calls his wife to his bed let her respond immediately even if she is on the camel-saddle." Ab `Ubayda al-Qsim ibn Sallm and al-H.akm al-Tirmidh showed that this should not be understood in literal terms but that women would sit on camel-saddles to facilitate birth-giving. The narration is therefore a hyperbole meaning that if she must obey even when she is about to give birth, then what about other situations far less tasking on her? This sense is further confirmed by the wording of al-Tirmidh's narration in his Sunan: "When a man calls his wife for his [sexual] need let her come to him on the spot, even if she is [baking bread] over the oven," meaning doing something that cannot wait.

A further confirmation is the famous narration:
                    When Mu`dh ibn Jabal returned from al-Shm he prostrated to the Prophet who said, "What is this, Mu`dh?" He replied, when I came to Shm I found them prostrating to their priests and bishops, so I told myself I would like to do the same to you." The Messenger of Allh said: "Do not! If I were to order anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would order woman to prostrate to her husband due to the greatness of his right over her. I swear by Allh that no woman shall taste the sweetness of faith until she fulfills the right of her husband even if he should want her while she is on top of the camel-saddle!"

One version continues:
                    I [Mu'dh] asked them, "Why do you do this?" They said, "It was the greeting of Prophets before our time." I said, "We have more right to do this with our Prophet." But the Prophet of Allh said: "Truly they lie about their Prophets just as they have distorted their Scripture. Truly Allh has given us in exchange something better than that, [namely] the salaam, which is the greeting of the dwellers of Paradise."(*)
                    Al-Tirmidh indicated in his Sunan that the segment "If I were to order anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would order woman to prostrate to her husband" is reported from ten Companions. This number qualifies it for mutawtir status by the criterion of some of the authorities of us.l and h.adth although there are more Companion-reporters of that narration, such as the following example from Qays ibn Sa`d in Ab Dwd's Sunan:

I went to al-H.ra and saw them prostrating before a satrap (marzubn) of theirs, so I said, "The Messenger of Allah is more deserving of prostration." Then I came to the Prophet and said, "I went to al-H.ra and saw them prostrate before a satrap of theirs, but you are more deserving, Messenger of Allah, to have people prostrate before you." He said, "Tell me, if you were to pass by my grave, would you prostrate before it?" I said No. He replied, "Therefore, do not do so. If I were to command anyone to prostrate before another I would command women to prostrate to their husbands, due to the special right Allh gave to husbands over them."
                    Another version states: "By Him in Whose Hand is the soul of Muh.ammad! A woman cannot fulfill the right of her Lord in full until she first fulfills the right of her husband in full, even if he were to want her while she is on top of the camel-saddle, she should not prevent him."10. In `A'isha's narration the Prophet calls the believers to "respect your brother" meaning himself:

The Messenger of Allh was in the midst of a group of the Muhjirn and Ans.r when a camel came over to him and prostrated before him. Seeing this, his Companions said, "O Messenger of Allh! the beasts and trees prostrate to you, and it is even more right that we should prostrate to you." He replied, "Worship your Lord, respect your brother, and if I were to order anyone to prostrate to anyone, I would order woman to prostrate to her husband; and if he were to command her to heave rocks from a yellow mountain to a black mountain and from a black mountain to a white mountain, she should do it."11.
                    In another mursal version from al-H.asan al-Bas.r, the Prophet is related to address his daughter - either Ruqayya or Umm Kulthm - saying: "Dearest daughter! Truly a man has no wife if she does not bring what he desires and blames him to his face, even if he should order her to heave rocks from a black mountain to a red mountain or from a red mountain to a black mountain. So be happy with your husband!"

One of the families of the Ans.r had a camel which began to act difficult with them and not let them ride him. They came to the Prophet and said: "We have a camel that is being recalcitrant and prevents us from riding him, and we need to water the date-trees and the plantations." The Prophet said to the Companions: Let us go. They went and entered the enclosure where the camel was. The Prophet walked towards it and the Ans.r exclaimed: "Y RaslAllh! he has become like a dog and we are afraid for you lest he act violent!" The Prophet - blessings and peace upon him - said: "He has no grudge against me. When the camel saw the Prophet it came towards him and fell prostrate in front of him. The Prophet took its forelock, and there was nothing more docile than that camel. Then he took it to work. The Companions said: "Y RasulAllh! this is a brute beast and it prostrates to you! We, who are rational, ought all the more to prostrate to you." He said: "It is not appropriate that any human being should prostrate to another human being and if it were, I would order woman to prostrate to her husband due to the greatness of his right over her. By the One in Whose Hand is my soul! If the husband were from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head one big wound oozing with pus and matter, and she were to receive him and lick him, she still would not be repaying him his right in full."13
                    Last edited by AbuMubarak; 27-01-12, 02:24 PM.
                    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

http://www.livingislam.org/n/nwph_e.html#fn-11
                      دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Only evil men stop their wives from communicating and visiting their family.

Who does that though? You're painting a very bad picture of Muslim men by saying this. In most decent and happy Islamic marriages, where the bride's family live close by the conversation is as follows.

Wife: Can you drop me off to mum and dads? Then pick me up after a couple of hours?
                        Husband: Ok, just ring me when you want me to collect you.

Where or who have you witnessed that doesn't have a relationship or understanding like that?

Comment

Originally posted by bones View Post
                          Only evil men stop their wives from communicating and visiting their family.

Who does that though? You're painting a very bad picture of Muslim men by saying this. In most decent and happy Islamic marriages, where the bride's family live close by the conversation is as follows.

Wife: Can you drop me off to mum and dads? Then pick me up after a couple of hours?
                          Husband: Ok, just ring me when you want me to collect you.

Where or who have you witnessed that doesn't have a relationship or understanding like that?
                          asking a question and establishing limits is not painting anything bad, it is outlining what is and what is not islam

please do not try to paint islam into something it isnt
                          دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Anas reported that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) had in one of his journeys his black slave who was called Anjasha along with him. He goaded by singing the songs of camel-driver. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Anjasha, drive slowly as you are driving (the mounts who are carrying) glass vessels

Anas reported that Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) came to his wives as the camel-driver who was called Anjasha had been, driving (the camels) on which (they were riding). Thereupon he said: Anjasha, be careful, drive slowly for you are driving the mounts who carry vessels of glass. Abu Qilaba said that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) uttered words which if someone had uttered amongst you, you would have found fault with him.

The Best of You is the Best to His Wife and Family and I am the Best of You to My Wives and Family

by Saafanq @ 2010-10-28 22:23:57
                            You Have an Excellent Example in Allahs Messenger
                            The Best of You is the Best to His Wife and Family and I am the Best of You to My Wives and Family
                            Magah: Nekah; 50
                            This Hadith shows us the Character of Allahs messenger prayer and peace upon him which a Muslim should follow. It is that a person should be good and decent to his/her spouse and family starting with ones children and parents. Should be caring, king and gentle to them and should look after their interests and affairs. Should not be harsh or uncaring.
                            It is interesting how a spouse particularly the wife can be called family. For a spouse can be like ones whole family, particularly when a person gets older, parents die and children leave home, and they become weak.
                            It is not known that Allahs messenger prayer and peace upon him ever hit or swore at any of his wives or called them bad names. He was always gentle and kind to them. When he was angry with them and were separated, he did not asked them to leave and go to their families, instead he slept in the mosque on the flood made of pebbles.
                            What is about smacking the wife which is mentioned in the Quran? It is a form of showing discontent and anger with her. It should not hurt. Scholars say that it should be no more that a gentle strike with the tail of ones cloak. However we should remember that Allahs messenger prayer and peace upon him never hit his wives, and he is our example to follow.
                            Allahs messenger prayer and peace upon him was asked: What would you advise us concerning our wives? He said: Feed them out of what you eat and cloth them from the same (standard) as you cloth yourselves, do not hit them and do not call them nasty names (D:Nekah,42)
                            This is how a man should treat his wife and children. This is the example of Allahs messenger prayer and peace upon him to us.
                            Prayer and peace be upon him and his family.
                            Dr Ahmed Saafan
                            دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Just loving the use of weak Hadith to justify thinking women are to be treated like children/slaves.

Comment

Working...
                              X