Has anyone had their tonsils out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone had their tonsils out?

If you have, was it worth it? Does it hurt a lot after the op?

I don't know what it is with me and sore throats these last few months- I had tonsillitis a little bit before Ramadhan, had a bad sore throat during Ramadhan and this latest one I got the day after 'Eid so I've had it since Saturday. Went to the docs today and apparently it's not bacterial so no antibiotics, just rest, water and painkillers...I can feel my tonsils really hurting and I'm wondering if having them out might be a good idea?

Share advice if you have any inshaAllah.
    JazakumAllahu khayran.
    ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Re: Has anyone had their tonsils out?

I thought they only take your tonsils out if you keep getting tonsilitis. I've never had them out. i do remember having them at 12 and they were so swollen i found it difficult to eat. I then went soho road with my mum and ended up vomiting-the projectile vomitting sort- in a desi clothes shop.

i found it rather amusing.
    "Verily Allah does not look to your appearance or wealth, but he looks to your hearts and your deeds." [Sahih Muslim, Vol. 4, #6221]

Comment

i'm in exactly the same situation. i keep on getting recurrent sore thorats. i've already had tonsilitus 3 times this year (before ramadan) and get mini sore thorats every 3 weeks. i went to the doctor to talk about it and told him i want them removed. i then had an assessment at the hospital and they said that my right tonsil is enlarged and i will get it removed, they said i will receive a letter in 4-6 weeks but i've been waiting for over 6 weeks now. inshallah i will phone them tomorrow if i get time. but tonsilitus and sore throats are the worst thing ever.
      From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

Comment

Subhan'Allah my tonsils were removed the same day as 9/11. :(

Anyway, if I remba correctly it does hurt for a few days. U can't swallow without it hurting etc. It's all cool in the long term though, alhamdulillah.

Comment

Don't quote me on this..but i'm sure they don't allow u to remove tonsils under NHS nemre...i could be very, bvery wrong....but i'm sure i heard this somewehre

Comment

Originally posted by MrOnline View Post
            Don't quote me on this..but i'm sure they don't allow u to remove tonsils under NHS nemre...i could be very, bvery wrong....but i'm sure i heard this somewehre
            NHS do it. u just have to go to the doctors and a hospital consultation, thats it.
            From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

Comment

Originally posted by MrOnline View Post
              Subhan'Allah my tonsils were removed the same day as 9/11. :(

Anyway, if I remba correctly it does hurt for a few days. U can't swallow without it hurting etc. It's all cool in the long term though, alhamdulillah.
              Akhi why did you have them removed? Because you constantly had sore throats? How often do you get them now?
              ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

Comment

Alhamdulillah it's been sucha a long tym since i last had a sore throat that i almost forgot these exist!

i had em removed cuz i used to snore...well that's wot ma mum told me, lol..it wasn';t anything serious..doctor's advice i guess. cosmetic, maybe... ?

Comment

I had my adenoids taken out and thats pretty similar to tonsils. Was pretty much just a sore throat for a while.
                  "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

i had tonsils once .... but i resorted to homeopathy medicine ..... and it worked .....

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                      i had tonsils once .... but i resorted to homeopathy medicine ..... and it worked .....
                      What, it got rid of your tonsils?? :S

Comment

Originally posted by eternal journey View Post
                        What, it got rid of your tonsils?? :S
                        no it just cured the tonsilitis .... My throat was so sore that i could only open my mouth to slide a spoon with soup in it ....

Comment

sis you poor thing :there:

i had my tonsils out when i was 7 after recurrent tonsilitis. all i remember from the post-op was ice cream!

the nhs still do tonsillectomies if you are absolutely plagued with infections. it's a simple enough procedure so definitely worth asking about if you've had enough of the throat probs.

i hope you feel better soon inshallah :love:

Comment

I had it removed when I was 4 that was about 25 years ago, your voice will change a bit but you will maintain again. You will have to eat jelly, ice cream and the like no hard food for a week.
                            islamway
                            اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

So those of you who've had them removed, are you not troubled by sore throats? I really think this sounds like something I should look into. Going to make an appointment and talk to my doc about it, inshaAllah.

JazakumAllahu khayran everyone.

p.s. and ice-cream as aftercare, I think I can live with that alhamdulillah!

Comment

Working...
                              X