Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London primary school outsources mathematics teaching to India.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London primary school outsources mathematics teaching to India.

London, Sept 10 (ANI): In a first of its kind in the UK, a primary school in London is reportedly outsourcing teaching to India to lead mathematics lessons for 11-year-olds, because Indian tutors are cheaper to hire than home-grown teachers.

According to The Telegraph, the Ashmount Primary school is using call centre-style staff in India to lead mathematics lessons, which cost 12 pounds an hour for each pupil, as a cheaper alternative to employing one-to-one tutors for children falling behind in the subject.

A private tutor in London reportedly costs around 40 pounds an hour.

The service, run by the firm BrightSpark Education, involves each pupil logging on to a special website and talking to a tutor via a headset. The completed work is then checked remotely by the Indian teacher.

The primary school in Islington is currently using the technology with half of its final year pupils, with plans to offer it to nine and 10-year-olds. The school had been approached by the company to pilot the system.

Rebecca Stacey, assistant head teacher said that the service had made a significant difference to her pupils' grasp of maths.

"We intend to roll it out so the whole of Year 6 is using it and perhaps down to Years 4 and 5. We try to keep every pupil with the same tutor. The kids really enjoy it. It is a different way of approaching the subject with children who might find it harder to engage with maths," she added.

A British-based entrepreneur, Tom Hooper, who employs 100 Indian-based tutors full time, devised the system. All are maths graduates with teaching experience, and are required to undergo security checks.

Although academics claimed that the move could be expanded to other schools in the county, many warned that it risked undermining teaching standards.

Dylan Wiliam, director of London University's Institute of Education, said: "As with many things in education, it1s not a silly idea, but as we have discovered in recent years, a lot of things that appeared to be good ideas at the time turn out to be useless, or worse." (ANI)

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/20100910/882/twl-london-primary-school-outsources-mat.html
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: London primary school outsources mathematics teaching to India.

12 pounds/hour in india?

sum1 needs to learn bargain skills here.

Comment

Originally posted by Al-hayaa View Post
      12 pounds/hour in india?

sum1 needs to learn bargain skills here.
      I guess less than half reaches the Indian Tutor's end .
      Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
      deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

no offence to anyone from india here but if its anything like when i phone my bank or sky and get put through to someone in a call centre out that way whatever i phone for is never sorted out because i cant understand them over the phone and they cant understand my welsh accent.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
          no offence to anyone from india here but if its anything like when i phone my bank or sky and get put through to someone in a call centre out that way whatever i phone for is never sorted out because i cant understand them over the phone and they cant understand my welsh accent.
          thats a good point but i doubt they have chosen teachers like that?? when i first read it i thought it sounds good because normally the standard of teaching over there can be better, well if u look at the level of what they learn for eg sri lanka @ a certain age, and here @ the same age, they r doing much harder stuff.. pretty sure india is the same
          i guess it is worth a try in schools anyway? although really it doesnt reflect well on the teachers that why cant they just teach it properly from this end, without resorting 2 this?
          anyway will b interested 2 c if they expand 2 ne other schools here, cos that is my borough
          <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

^^standards r defo better BUT i reckon style is bit diff, if tht makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
              thats a good point but i doubt they have chosen teachers like that?? when i first read it i thought it sounds good because normally the standard of teaching over there can be better, well if u look at the level of what they learn for eg sri lanka @ a certain age, and here @ the same age, they r doing much harder stuff.. pretty sure india is the same
              i guess it is worth a try in schools anyway? although really it doesnt reflect well on the teachers that why cant they just teach it properly from this end, without resorting 2 this?
              anyway will b interested 2 c if they expand 2 ne other schools here, cos that is my borough

yeah maybe they have better standards in some other countries but this basically a experiment. if it doesnt work all the kids/guinia pigs will be worse off. they shouldnt gamble with the kids education like this imho.

and the teachers are all militant left wing trade union lackeys ( i hate trade unions lol ) they wont put up with this ill bet. mass walk outs and strikes all over.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Hmm but seems to be going okay if they said they are going to expand it to the lower years too?
                I think the standard teaching of maths in schools these days here is not so good? (saw a documentary on dispatches about this before, i think it was kids dont count or something?) many of the children absolutely did not understand basic concepts and they just werent getting things @ all, so if they are failing anyway then it may be worth an experiment, nothing to lose as they are already failing? but do not know how the standards are in that particular school so couldn't comment specifically, but if its improving things then its definitely good. I suppose the teachers will complain yes, but should be done in conjunction with a classroom teacher anyway surely, they can not replace the whole thing with online/call centre as it would be ridiculous! if the uk teacher became out of a job due 2 outsourcing of teacher completely then yes would be fair to strike and make it a big issue. If they are mixing a bit of this, bit of that.. then dont really see the problem. I think methods of teaching do change a lot due to modernising and stuff, what they have in a lot schools now all these fancy whiteboards and computers for the kids, we never used to have any of that in primary school and it was only about 15 years back so things do change, and bringing something new in is always an "experiment" to an extent?
                <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by .: Anna :. View Post
                  Hmm but seems to be going okay if they said they are going to expand it to the lower years too?
                  I think the standard teaching of maths in schools these days here is not so good? (saw a documentary on dispatches about this before, i think it was kids dont count or something?) many of the children absolutely did not understand basic concepts and they just werent getting things @ all, so if they are failing anyway then it may be worth an experiment, nothing to lose as they are already failing? but do not know how the standards are in that particular school so couldn't comment specifically, but if its improving things then its definitely good. I suppose the teachers will complain yes, but should be done in conjunction with a classroom teacher anyway surely, they can not replace the whole thing with online/call centre as it would be ridiculous! if the uk teacher became out of a job due 2 outsourcing of teacher completely then yes would be fair to strike and make it a big issue. If they are mixing a bit of this, bit of that.. then dont really see the problem. I think methods of teaching do change a lot due to modernising and stuff, what they have in a lot schools now all these fancy whiteboards and computers for the kids, we never used to have any of that in primary school and it was only about 15 years back so things do change, and bringing something new in is always an "experiment" to an extent?

yeah good points. the current system of teaching to the lowest achiever (or at least they did that when i was in school) isnt working. it holds back kids with a bit of brains about them and they get bored. as long as theyve thought it out and make the kids taking part catch up if it fails i dont suppose it would hurt to much.

Comment

Last I heard, there was a big shortage of maths teachers in the UK, especially as there weren't enough students studying to become maths graduates in the UK and possibly a lot of teaching staff in general can't afford to live in inner London so schools have to resort to staff from abroad. Where I worked (more like outer London area), they resorted to hiring a lot of Aussie staff.
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X