No announcement yet.

Converted from Christianity (Orthodox) but having troubles with my family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converted from Christianity (Orthodox) but having troubles with my family

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
    And I thought Americans were prejudiced and Intolerant .

How is that Russia is home to nearly 20% Muslim population which is likely to reach 50 % Inshallah in a few decades as per Russian estimates ?
    Because the neighboring countries which Russia annexed are home to many muslims and a lot of those people go to Russia for economic reasons because their countries are very poor. A lot of Russians are racists-this is very true. St.Petersburg is probably worse than Moscow, because that is where the Skinheads are the strongest. They also attack Armenian X-ians, pretty much everyone who doesn't look white, is selling something at a stall by themselves, they gang up on them and beat them up and many times kill them. Russia has a high crime rate anyway.

People do hate Muslims, but I know Russians that also don't have problems with Muslims. It depends on who you talk to, but most hate Muslims especially from the Balkans because of the war with the Serbs and Serbs are also Orthodox.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o7d8e6Ovbs
    黒い涙 流す
    私には何もなくて 悲しすぎて
    言葉にさえならなくて

Comment

Originally posted by Muslimah81 View Post
      do not make yourself vulnerable or put yourself in any danger. excellent advise above...do what you can but don't make yourself a target inshallah.

you are muslim for 2 years alhamdulillah...but still early days. only you know how your parents will react but take it slowly. your actions will be dawah at this stage.

sister may Allah protect you and keep you steadfast, ameen :love:
      Privyet! Kak dila? ya kharasho.

I can only echo the quoted post. Don't put yourself into any danger. The Hijab you will remove, but the five prayers you must do. I can't find any online material about alternative ways of praying to keep a low profile, so you will probably have to go to a scholar and ask. I know a Shaykh at Rexdale and Islington, but his inbox is always full. Since you're an international student, I don't know if Islamic Foundation (Nugget Mosque) is close to you. If you cannot find the information, then I can drive and ask the shaykh and get back to you. Let me know.

I had some russian classmates who told me about how difficult it is back home and you can guess they taught me a bit of russian too some time ago. I've forgotten a lot of it.

ya lublu tibia for the sake of Allah! :) May Allah make it easy for you.

dasvidanya.

Comment

Absolutely true! but i am white and everything in my face says - Russian. So i dont know what those people can do. One of my best friends used to be in a skinhead crew. Everything is like controversy. I feel sorry for my nation and their missunderstanding.

Comment

Spasibo horosho :)

YOu are right about prayers. I will still do them and my parents are powerless to stop me from praying. I think it is just too early to wear hijab in front of them.
          About outside, MA and Reflection 09 gave a suggestion about hats, so it would be possible dress modest in Moscow, as long as i cover my hair but dont wear hijab. Thank you : ))))

Comment

Hat is a good idea considering that Moscow is already cold. Also some wool tunic can cover my bottom ) thank you

Comment

AW: Converted from Christianity (Orthodox) but having troubles with my family

Originally posted by Gseleena View Post
              Assalamu Allaikum sisters and brothers!
              I reverted to Islam about 2 years ago. Began to wear hijab about 2 months ago. I love it and i feel Allah is always with me.
              Originally i am from Moscow, Russia but i study and live in Toronto, Canada without any relative (just on my own). I go to the University.
              My parents don't know that i am muslim and i am not sure if i am able to tell them this year because otherwise i wont come back to Canada and my university would not be paid(they pay for my appartment and University).
              This October i am going back home (after one year) for 2 months.
              I dont want to take my hijab off but i have no other choice because i dont want to be killed, i dont want to get dirty looks and i want to come back to Canada.
              PS: My parent will not understand my choice because they dont think of Islam out-side the box. They believe that women have no right and that men marry 4 wives(basic idea). Even my russian "friends" do not support me.
              What should I do? BarakAllah and JazakAllahu Khayrun!
              -----------------------------------------------------------------
              selam aleykum rahmetullah ve berâkatuhu
              as one brother said we are all there to help you to study and if you need help ask us.uhkti.
              ALLAH will guide you you will see, INSALLAH YARABI.
              it is difficult but I think they should know once about you being converted muslim and believe me they will accept .you are their daughter. tell them more about islâm and how happy you are about that. I agree that wearing hiijab makes you feel free and close to ALLAH.do not put it off if you do not want too.
              if you go to your parents go as you are and tell them you love them all also as they are.
              it is difficult but as one brother said, it is a test. you being converted is a test to see if you will maintain and stick to your religion.

Comment

Re: AW: Converted from Christianity (Orthodox) but having troubles with my family

I'm surprised no one's asked the sister if she's married yet!
                <--- I look like that and when I'm not :zzz:, I'm usually like like:banbear:and like:rotfl:but sometimes I'm like as well.

Comment

Re: AW: Converted from Christianity (Orthodox) but having troubles with my family

sister do you have to go to Russia? is it important/urgent? if not i would advice you not to go, and ask them to visit you in Canada. is not safe for you as sister to visit any country by yourself, especially if you fear you might be in danger.
                  just tell them that you busy, and cannot visit, and if they dont mind, they should visit you.
                  but remember as a sister i would advice you not to travel on your own anywhere unless is urgent.
                  and btw, Allah tests his people from all directions, this just might be your test, stay strong and chose what Allah would be happy, rather than what another human being would feel.
                  “This day I have perfected your religion for you,completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [5:3]"I have created the jinns and the humans solely to worship Me."[51:56]"a woman's heart should be lost in God, that a man needs to see him in order to find her"

Comment

So sister, are you married?
                    <--- I look like that and when I'm not :zzz:, I'm usually like like:banbear:and like:rotfl:but sometimes I'm like as well.

Comment

There are allowances in Islam.

There were stories during the time of Rasulullah SAW where newly muslims were even allowed not to proclaim of their new faith because of circumstances (that their life is in jeopardy).

I agree with sis. Aisha Kiwi suggested. be loving and kind to your parents, wear modest clothing, and introduce Islam in baby steps and slowly to your parents.
                      May Allah SWT protects you always, amkes you steadfast in your eeman, and gives you the best in this world and hereafter. Amiin.

Comment

Originally posted by YasirH View Post
                        I'm surprised no one's asked the sister if she's married yet!
                        I am not married, but why this question should be asked in this topic?

Comment

Originally posted by Bint-Al-Islam View Post
                          sister do you have to go to Russia? is it important/urgent? if not i would advice you not to go, and ask them to visit you in Canada. is not safe for you as sister to visit any country by yourself, especially if you fear you might be in danger.
                          just tell them that you busy, and cannot visit, and if they dont mind, they should visit you.
                          but remember as a sister i would advice you not to travel on your own anywhere unless is urgent.
                          and btw, Allah tests his people from all directions, this just might be your test, stay strong and chose what Allah would be happy, rather than what another human being would feel.
                          I feel safe traveling alone, i have been doing this since i was 15. I am really out of my family and always on my own. But in Russia i feel safer if i wont wear hijab. Plus i love my parents and havent seen them for a year

Comment

Originally posted by Gseleena View Post
                            I am not married, but why this question should be asked in this topic?
                            Erm... well sister, it's like this... If you were married, you wouldn't have to rely on your father to fund you and you'd also have your own home, stuff like that. You should seriously get married though, try messaging sister Dhakkiya and ask her if she knows anyone who might be suitable, there are some mashaAllah very good brothers here on this board.

Comment

My faith is in Allah and i believe he prepared the best for me in this life.

Comment

Asalamu Alaykum sister:)

im from toronto canada too!!

if you need someone to talk to inshallah, im here!!

but like everyone else suggested inshallah wear hijab, dont put ur life in danger sis, allah(swt) is the most merciful so dont worry
                                take care of yourself in russia sis
                                ‎"when she is a daughter, she opens a door of jannah for her father. when she is a wife, she completes half of the deen of her husband. when she is a mother, Jannah lies under her feet. If everyone knew the status of a muslim women in islam, even men would want to be women." Sheikh Akram Nadawi

Comment

Working...
                                X