Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing kohl/ithmid/surma/kajal ?

Assalaamu alaikum and ramadan kareem.

I've never posted here before, but i've read a lot. I had a question regarding kohl. I was aware that home-made kohl is derived from burnt cotton/almonds, but is it the same type used by the Prophet(saws)? I was told recently that the Prophet(saws) used antimony (ithmid) and not kohl/kajal made from soot powder as the Indians use.

Now I recalled from chemistry class that antimony is a toxic heavy metal! This is why I am confused about it's use being mustahab. Does anyone have any information on the subject? I'd ask a Muslim chemist, but I don't know any :)

AbuDawud Book 28, Number 3869:

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Įnhu): The Prophet (Sallallaahu Įlayhi Wasallam) said: Wear your white garments, for they are among your best garments, and shroud your dead in them. Among the best types of collyrium you use is antimony (ithmid): it clears the vision and makes the hair sprout.
    (Another version): Ibn 'Abbaas Radiyallahu 'Anhu says: "Rasulullah Sallallahu 'Alayhi Wasallam said: 'Use kuhl made of ithmid (antimony) on the eye; it brightens the eyesight, and strengthens and increases the growth of the eye lashes'."
    Wikipedia:

Medical
    "Treatments principally containing are known as antimonials and are used as emetics.
    Antimony compounds are used as antiprotozoan drugs. Antimony potasssium tartrate, or tartar emetic, has been used in the past as an anti-schistosomal drug, later replaced by praziquantel. Antimony and its compounds are used in several veterinary preparations like anthiomaline or lithium antimony thiomalate, which is used as a skin conditioner in ruminants. Antimony has a nourishing or conditioning effect on keratinized tissues, at least in animals. Antimony-based drugs, such as meglumine antimoniate, are also considered the drugs of choice for treatment of leishmaniasis in domestic animals. Unfortunately, as well as having low therapeutic indices, the drugs are poor at penetrating the bone marrow, where some of the Leishmania amastigotes reside, and so cure of the disease – especially the visceral form – is very difficult."

Precautions
    "Antimony and many of its compounds are toxic, and the effects of antimony poisoning are very similar to arsenic poisoning. Inhalation of antimony dust is harmful and in certain cases may be fatal; in small doses, antimony causes headaches, dizziness, and depression. Larger doses such as prolonged skin contact may cause dermatitis; otherwise it can damage the kidneys and the liver, causing violent and frequent vomiting, and will lead to death in a few days.
    Antimony is incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, halogen acids, chlorine, or fluorine. Keep away from heat.[38]
    Antimony leaches from polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles into liquids[39]. While levels observed for bottled water are below drinking water guidelines,[40][41] fruit juice concentrates (for which no guidelines are established) produced in the UK were found to contain up to 44.7 µg/L of antimony, well above the EU limits for tap water of 5 µg/L."

Re: Wearing kohl/ithmid/surma/kajal ?

I dont really know what you want to know about kohl but the ones with lead arent the natural ithmid used for centuries the ones with lead are more a "modern" one where they add in the lead. The natural made ones are benificel(i dont know how to spell) to the eyes and cools them.

Comment

Thanks :) but I don't mean lead. I mean ithmid which is the arabic word for antimony. If nobody knows anything on the subject that's ok, I just thought i'd try. :D

Comment

lots of info on it. Just use the Search function. That is if it actually works now.

Comment

No need to be cheeky bro/sis. Do you think I would have posted if I didn't search the forum and google first? I thought an Islamic forum would be a more appropriate place to ask an Islamic question; my mistake. 106 views and not even a reply to my salaams. I'll find a more friendly forum,

Comment

Walaikum assalam sis and ramadhan kareem to you as well.

I havent got the answer, but have you tried asking on: www.islam-qa.com? they could probably help :)
            82. Verily, when He intends a thing, His Command is, "be", and it is! 83. So glory to Him in Whose hands is the dominion of all things: and to Him will you be all brought back. Quran surah 36: Ya-sin

Comment

:salams

Comment

Working...
              X