Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we pierce our daughters ears?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/78255

Our daughter is 6 mos. My wife really wants to, but I want my daughter to be able to make that decision later in life. What say you?
    Islamic Lectures and Videos
    Halal Restaurant and Masjid Finder
    Halal Vitamins
    Reliable Web Hosting

Re: Should we pierce our daughters ears?

On a practical level, if she has it done young - the hole never fills up and she could always choose not to wear earrings.

Comment

I think it's better to do it when girls are young because when they get older it is kinda harder. My mom did it to me when I was 11 not sure why... all my other sisters got it done when they where babies.. but anyways I cried like a baby.
      "Islam began as something strange and will return as it was, so give glad tidings to the strangers."
      "Don't ever argue with an idiot....
      they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Comment

6...months? She's just a baby. I was 6-7-8 years old if I recall correct. All girls love earrings whether it's wearing them on occasions or every single day so you shouldn't really make this out to be a great issue of her own personal choice when she grows up
        "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
        Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Comment

Originally posted by FARAZSID View Post
          http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/78255

Our daughter is 6 mos. My wife really wants to, but I want my daughter to be able to make that decision later in life. What say you?
          i say no and agree that the decision should be hers when she's older but in the end its you and your wife that have to compromise.

my neice had her ears pierced at the age of 1 coz same like your situation i guess. my bro was saying no but then i dont think he were that bothered after but my mum and sis in law were in favour of it. i hated the idea but its not my daughter and upto my sis in law so my neice ended up with her ears pierced. she dont even know what earrings are yet at that age.

some people say its better to get it pierced early coz then they dont feel as much pain as when they're older or something but its just a common asian practise for people to get daughters ears pierced early, dunno why. there still young, they could get infected ears, it must be uncomfortable sleeping with earings for little babies. that is torture for a little baby and not Islam to be giving unnecessary pain to a baby for the sake of following a cultural practise of piercing ears.

Comment

it doesnt hurt them for more then 5 secs like an injection! lol not like a major operation! and we've all had it done at a young age, it is a part of culture which is halal.

and my daughter got hers done at like 6 months, but when she got a bit older we took them out and changed them and left them out for a while and shes 3 now and they have closed up

Recipes for all the family :inlove:
            (and you thought I was a lazy feminazi which can't cook?)

Comment

Originally posted by naila-k View Post
              it doesnt hurt them for more then 5 secs like an injection! lol not like a major operation! and we've all had it done at a young age, it is a part of culture which is halal.

and my daughter got hers done at like 6 months, but when she got a bit older we took them out and changed them and left them out for a while and shes 3 now and they have closed up
              Aye the piercing gun is quick :) I had it done younger than 6 months, but choose not to wear them anymore and the holes are closed up..Plus whenever they did close up as a child, my mom would go medieval on me and re-pierce them with a needle and some ice :/

Also, to OP, if y'all decide to pierce them this young, make sure to turn the earrings and keep the ears clean with the solution they give you.

Comment

yes it may be quick and doesn't hurt for long but when you look at it, why are babies having ears pierced at a young age anyway? its unnecessary in my opinion. if it was an injection thats a different matter. ear piercing is halal yes but part of a culture that i do not like hence my strong opinion against it.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimah10 View Post
                  yes it may be quick and doesn't hurt for long but when you look at it, why are babies having ears pierced at a young age anyway? its unnecessary in my opinion. if it was an injection thats a different matter. ear piercing is halal yes but part of a culture that i do not like hence my strong opinion against it.
                  I agree. My mom was also against babies getting their ears pierced hence my sisters and I got our ears pierced a lot later than others from our culture. We got them pierced when we wanted to; wanting to wear earrings.
                  "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
                  Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Comment

I think lil babies look cute with their ears peirced :D

My friend got hers done in pakistan when she was a baby, but it was done with a hot stik i was like :shock:

Comment

Let her decide for herself. I remember my mum forcefully had mine done when I was quite young. I really didn't want to but she made me anyway. I never wore earrings for years and years after that so the hole just started to close up and it hurt horribly when I finally decided to wear them.

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
                        Let her decide for herself. I remember my mum forcefully had mine done when I was quite young. I really didn't want to but she made me anyway. I never wore earrings for years and years after that so the hole just started to close up and it hurt horribly when I finally decided to wear them.
                        was just going to say that :jkk: sis. if u do get them done when theyre young make sure u dont let the hole close up, or it will be very painful for them trying to reopen the old hole, and can be a problem if the original hole wont open, as you wont be able to be re-pierced in exactly the same place and the new hole will be off centre. also beware of keloid scarring if ur child is susceptible to keloid scars then dont pierce their ears at all.
                        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Working...
                        X