X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatches - WHEN COUSINS MARRY- 23-08-2010 ch4HD

Dispatches: When Cousins Marry

Channel 4HD: Mon 23 Aug, 8PM

First cousin marriages, though legal in Britain, are a taboo - commonly seen as incest.

Dispatches reveals the tragic consequences of these relationships.

First cousin marriages cause hundreds of children to be born with terrible disabilities in Britain every year; one third of whom are so ill that they die before they are five years old.

The practice is most common in Britain's Pakistani community, in which more than 50% of people marry their first cousin, and in Bradford 75% of ethnic Pakistanis follow the tradition. It is also common in some Middle Eastern and East African communities here, and in the UK's Bangladeshi community, nearly a quarter of people marry their first cousins.

But the practice isn't uncommon in the white British community either: this documentary features a couple, first-cousins-once-removed, whose daughter died of a genetic disease.

The medical risks include infant mortality, birth defects, learning difficulties, blindness, hearing impairment and metabolic disorders. As adults, the offspring of these relationships also risk sporadic abortions or infertility.

Reporter Tazeen Ahmad meets affected families, including one with three children with serious degenerative genetic diseases. Tazeen's own grandparents were first cousins: five of their children died before the age of ten, and three of her uncles were deaf.

Dispatches questions why no major national publicity campaign warns of these health risks. At-risk couples in some areas are offered genetic counselling, with some being offered selection of embryos or terminations, but as only 40% of recessive disorders can be medically tested for, this is of limited use.

Even talking about the practice is controversial. And, although many British studies have established the risks, people still deny the dangers and extol the benefits of marrying within the family. But others within the community say the risks should be publicised.

http://tv.sky.com/dispatches-when-cousins-marry
    Yawmaithin tu’a A’radoona la takhfa minkum khafiyatun [69:18]
    :love:
    "Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you deny?" (Qur'an 55:13)

Re: Dispatches - WHEN COUSINS MARRY- 23-08-2010 ch4HD

those that still continue to practise first cousin marriage throughout the generations within the same family need to take heed, everyone suffers.
    glass half empty

Comment

my mum's mum and my wife's mum's mum are 1st cousins. so my our mum's are 2nd cousins. this aint as bad as 1st cousin marriages is it?
      There is a clock on your forehead counting down to the time of your death. Only Allah knows how many seconds are left on it

Comment

There is nothing wrong with first cousin marriages....however if there are certain diseases/disorders in a family it makes sense not to marry so not to increase the risk of your children having the disease or being a carrier

The same goes for marrying someone of the same ethnicity

Comment

Cousin marriage killed off the house of Hapsburg, if I remember GCSE History correctly.

I always understood that the problem wasn't one-off inter marriages but repeated instances through generations. So the gene pool is reduced and you end up with big chins (and other more serious genetic problems).

Comment

Originally posted by Amaira View Post
            you end up with big chins (and other more serious genetic problems).
            so you start looking like Bruce Forsyth? scary!!!!
            Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

Comment

Cousin marriage killed off the house of Hapsburg, if I remember GCSE History correctly.
              incest killed off the Hapsburgs. there were atleast 3 incestuous marriages between uncle and niece due to "papal dispensation".
              Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Originally posted by LondoMollari View Post
                so you start looking like Bruce Forsyth? scary!!!!
                At least you'l still be freakily active at 100 yrs old though

Comment

On soon or watch later on as it will be on during iftar time
                  http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches
                  Yawmaithin tu’a A’radoona la takhfa minkum khafiyatun [69:18]
                  :love:
                  "Then which of the blessings of your Lord will you deny?" (Qur'an 55:13)

Comment

Originally posted by cuezed View Post
                    my mum's mum and my wife's mum's mum are 1st cousins. so my our mum's are 2nd cousins. this aint as bad as 1st cousin marriages is it?
                    no it isnt as bad. my grandparents and greatgrandparents are related in a simillar way, not first cousins but married in the family. my mum married within the clan.
                    glass half empty

Comment

At least you'l still be freakily active at 100 yrs old though
                      thought he was only 95.... you wait 'n see... within 4 yrs he'll fall apart - nae mare Brucie Bonus! :p
                      Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

Comment

I think the progamme is on about generations after generations getting married. This is harmful for the children as he/she has more chances of genetic disability. Ishallah us muslims have grown out of this and able to expand marriage to other muslims especially our revert brothers and sisters! ishallah one day, we would be able to mix with each no matter where we come from. I would never marry my cousin, I dont see anything wrong with it. But the cousins must know the risk involved especially if there is a history of it in their family!

Comment

what does the Quran and hadith say about this matter?
                          Islamic Lectures and Videos
                          Halal Restaurant and Masjid Finder
                          Halal Vitamins
                          Reliable Web Hosting

Comment

i caught a few mins of this and it was so sad. in a family of 4 children 3 were disabled and the young man who was affected seemed to be so distressed

the problem with first cousins marrying isn't the transmission of obvious/dominant genetic weaknesses but when recessive genes are given dominance...in that case you just can't tell that there's any underlying problem and the resulting illnesses/disabilities are more likely to be rare.

Comment

i know this is somewhat true, but they are exaggerating to a extent.
                              my family are all related. my mom and dad are related, through my moms moms' side, all my family are related. cousins married cousins and not once did we have this medical risks like genetic disease. we've been inter marrying each other for generations are we not ashamed of it. first cousins, second third fourth. we inter marry each other. so i dont see the big deal. and anyway i think there is a reason why they are doing this.
                              Last edited by Bint-Al-Islam; 23-08-10, 10:50 PM.
                              “This day I have perfected your religion for you,completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” [5:3]"I have created the jinns and the humans solely to worship Me."[51:56]"a woman's heart should be lost in God, that a man needs to see him in order to find her"

Comment

Working...
                              X