Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Story Competition - VOTE NOW!

:salams

It's now time to vote for the best story, but before you do here are the rules of the competition. Everyone had to write a 500 or less short story and mention the word fish in it somewhere. The story was also based off of this picture, taken by RaineR the winner of the Photography Competition:

Please read all the stories then vote for the best one, you have a week to do so and then the polls are closed!

Okay! You can now vote for the best story, all I ask is that you read every story here before making your choice.

:jkk: And Happy Reading!

PS: IF YOU WROTE A STORY DON'T REVEAL YOUR ENTRY UNTIL THE END!
    Entry 1: The Betrayal
    27.27%
    Entry 2: Every Soul Will Taste Death
    18.18%
    Entry 3: Lulu
    9.09%
    Entry 4: The Deception
    11.36%
    Entry 5: My Friend Lenard
    4.55%
    Entry 6: Hope in a Fish Bowl
    29.55%
    Last edited by Pippin1376; 11-07-10, 10:47 PM.
    وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
    "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
    Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
    [2:186]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Re: Short Story Competition - VOTE NOW!

Entry 1: The Betrayal
    وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
    "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."

Comment

Entry 2: كُلُّ نَفْسٍ ذَائِقَةُ الْمَوْتِ :Every Soul Will Taste Death (Surah al 'Imran)

كَلَّا إِذَا بَلَغَتِ التَّرَاقِيَ

وَقِيلَ مَنْ ۜ رَاقٍ

وَظَنَّ أَنَّهُ الْفِرَاقُ

وَالْتَفَّتِ السَّاقُ بِالسَّاقِ

إِلَىٰ رَبِّكَ يَوْمَئِذٍ الْمَسَاقُ

[when a corpse is wrapped in the shroud]:كُلُّ نَفْسٍ ذَائِقَةُ الْمَوْتِ

Comment

Entry 3: Lulu

Li'l ‘Omar felt lost. His beloved goldfish, Lulu, left him yesterday. He was inconsolable; nothing that Ma and Pa said or did could soothe his mind. He sat on the stairs, staring into the empty fish ball at his side. All of a sudden, he had a glint in his eyes. He got up, ran up to the kitchen, opened up the drawer and pulled out a ladle. He went out of the house, towards the backyard and started digging the dirt. There was fervor in his manner and hope in his heart. He kept on digging and digging until he found what he had raced out for- Lulu, his Lulu. The little boy held on to his fish, tightly in his palms, as the streams of tears ran down his soft cheeks. Yesterday, Pa said that every soul shall taste death and Ma had mentioned that Allah tests His servants with that which they love the most. They also advised him to find sakeenah by supplicating to Allah. He was young of age but wise beyond his years- he understood that a sliced apple can be eaten but not put together to its original form. The little boy’s body shook as he cried out loud and lowered Lulu in the pit. To be content in Allah’s Will is the key to life’s contentment.

Comment

Entry 4: The Deception

Comment

Entry 5: My Friend Lenard

Comment

Entry 6: Hope in a Fish Bowl.
              mustyou die...will IWhen we die do our souls float to the top of the sky?We are trapped in this glass bowl of a world like the fish she thought, we cannot escape, fish cannot breathe air and we cannot breathe other than what our destinies decide. To live, to die, we must bear with patience whatever the waters bring.HopeThe world is a fish bowl.

Comment

*phew* All done!

I don't know about you guys, but I have a craving for fish at the moment. :D

Comment

:wswrwb:

:jkk: Pips got a good turnout masha'Allah! I shall savour these when I'm not so :wacko: :D
                  It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
                  -Muslim

Comment

wohoo now I can play spot the spelling mistakes and incorrect use of Grammar lol

already found one, in story 4 "aggregated" should have been "agitated"

Comment

Originally posted by islam4u2 View Post
                      wohoo now I can play spot the spelling mistakes and incorrect use of Grammar lol

no, because the pain/tediousness of being a shelf-stacker is aggregated by heels

http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/aggregated
                      Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                      In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                      USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                      (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by islam4u2 View Post

Brother, I get your humour and stuff but some members might get annoyed if you do this. Instead of searching for mistakes, just enjoy the stories in shaa' Allah.

Comment

:rotfl: I just started reading the first one, its so morbid, I didn't know people ate goldfishes

This is not a negative comment btw, so don't get offended
                          By the morning brightness and by the night when it grows still, your Lord has not forsaken you [Prophet], nor does He hate you, and the future will be better for you than the past; your Lord is sure to give you so much that you will be well satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Reptile View Post
                            :rotfl: I just started reading the first one, its so morbid, I didn't know people ate goldfishes

This is not a negative comment btw, so don't get offended
                            init! lol its so tiny how could u do it 2 the miskeen?
                            Abu Malik at-Ash'ari reported:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Cleanliness is half of faith

and al-Hamdu Lillah (all praise and gratitude is for Allah alone) fills the scale, and Subhan Allah (Glory be to Allah)

and al-Hamdu Lillah fill up what is between the heavens and the earth, and prayer is a light,

and charity is proof (of one's faith)

and endurance is a brightness and the Holy Qur'an is a proof on your behalf or against you.

All men go out early in the morning and sell themselves, thereby setting themselves free or destroying themselves.

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْحَاقُ بْنُ مَنْصُورٍ، حَدَّثَنَا حَبَّانُ بْنُ هِلاَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبَانٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، أَنَّ زَيْدًا، حَدَّثَهُ أَنَّ أَبَا سَلاَّمٍ حَدَّثَهُ عَنْ أَبِي مَالِكٍ الأَشْعَرِيِّ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏ "‏ الطُّهُورُ شَطْرُ الإِيمَانِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلأُ الْمِيزَانَ ‏.‏ وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَالْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ تَمْلآنِ - أَوْ تَمْلأُ - مَا بَيْنَ السَّمَوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ وَالصَّلاَةُ نُورٌ وَالصَّدَقَةُ بُرْهَانٌ وَالصَّبْرُ ضِيَاءٌ وَالْقُرْآنُ حُجَّةٌ لَكَ أَوْ عَلَيْكَ كُلُّ النَّاسِ يَغْدُو فَبَائِعٌ نَفْسَهُ فَمُعْتِقُهَا أَوْ مُوبِقُهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Reference : Sahih Muslim 223
                            In-book reference : Book 2, Hadith 1
                            USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 2, Hadith 432
                            (deprecated numbering scheme)

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

:wswrwb:

Masha'Allah Pip for organizing this...jazak'Allahu Khair..

I love all the stories :inlove:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X