Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Hair

:salams

A Sister Told Me That As Muslimahs We Are Not Allowed To Cut Our Hair As Its Used To Cover Our Selves On Judgement Day.

Just Wanna Know Is This Even True :S
    And He found you lost and guided you,
    ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
    " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
    ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Re: Cutting Hair

Salam!
    ive heard about this too, id like to know if its true as a few people have mentioned it to me .. :S

Comment

Originally posted by MissZaytoon View Post
      Salam!
      ive heard about this too, id like to know if its true as a few people have mentioned it to me .. :S
      Wsalaam

Well It Came From A Fellow Revert - No Offence People. Buh I Know Some Culture Gets Mixed In. Thats Why I Am Asking

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

It's a desi thing, I believe. Desi hanafis tend to go for this opinion, but I know in other madhhabs cutting hair is okay.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4319&CATE=178

But if you look on askimam you'll get something very different. There's a hadith about when Rasulullah :saw: told hadrat A'ishah (RA) that everyone will be naked on Qiyamah, and she got distressed, and I remember someone commenting on this that if women could cover themselves with their hair, then why would she be distressed, or something like that, it was a long time ago, sorry :( Does anyone know what I'm talking about? But yeah, who's gonna be interested in ogling you on qiyamah, we will have far more distressing things to worry about than our bits and bobs on display. That was the gist of what I read, but as I said it was a long time ago, so it's all got a bit garbled in my head :(

In desi culture, cutting hair is considered unfeminine and that's why desi scholars tend to forbid it, but afaik, it's not been expressly declared haram. I think it's just mubah, cos it's never been directly forbidden in either Quran or hadith.

*probably the most incoherent post today, sorry :( *
        Last edited by C Bear; 18-06-10, 12:10 AM.
        :fairy: Islamic Prints :fairy:
        ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
        PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

Originally posted by C Bear View Post
          It's a desi thing, I believe. Desi hanafis tend to go for this opinion, but I know in other madhhabs cutting hair is okay.

:jkk: For That :up:

Salaah Reminders

الله أعلم

Comment

the ruling on cutting women’s hair.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

imam Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.
            "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
              the ruling on cutting women’s hair.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515

It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

imam Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.
              SubhanAllah.. I've never heard of this hadith.
              http://s14.postimg.org/v1lw1cm69/ummahanim.gif
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/akh_fuaadh

Comment

Originally posted by Fuaadh View Post
                SubhanAllah.. I've never heard of this hadith.
                alhamdulillah. like our sis said its an asian custom to not cut your hair, hindu women dont cut their hair and grow it long hence u see them with waist length hair.

heard a sikh woman today talking about naming a new baby saying they go to the temple open their book, and whatever word they point at, they name their kid that. i thought ahhhhh so thats where this opening Quran poiting to a word and naming your kid that comes from..
                "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

Comment

Daleel or no daleel... that hadith has been incorrectly translated; if you look it up, you'll see the translation should be 'gathered up' their hair, not cut. After all, just below their ears would make their hair shorter than Rasulullah's :saw:!

No daleel :rofl1:

Sorry sorry XD XD It was too cheap a joke to resist. I'm so immature.
                  Last edited by C Bear; 18-06-10, 12:47 AM.
                  ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
                  PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

But if you look on askimam you'll get something very different. There's a hadith about when Rasulullah :saw: told hadrat A'ishah (RA) that everyone will be naked on Qiyamah, and she got distressed, and I remember someone commenting on this that if women could cover themselves with their hair, then why would she be distressed, or something like that, it was a long time ago, sorry :( Does anyone know what I'm talking about? But yeah, who's gonna be interested in ogling you on qiyamah, we will have far more distressing things to worry about than our bits and bobs on display. That was the gist of what I read, but as I said it was a long time ago, so it's all got a bit garbled in my head :(

In desi culture, cutting hair is considered unfeminine and that's why desi scholars tend to forbid it, but afaik, it's not been expressly declared haram. I think it's just mubah, cos it's never been directly forbidden in either Quran or hadith.

*probably the most incoherent post today, sorry :( *

It was narrated that 'Aisha, the wife of the Prophet :saw: said: 'The Messenger of Allah :saw: said: 'You will be gathered barefoot, naked and uncircumcised.' I said, 'O Messenger of Allah, men and women will be looking at one another?!' He said, 'The situation will be so terrible that it will not concern them.'"
                    Last edited by *asiya*; 18-06-10, 12:49 AM.

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

Daleel or no daleel... that hadith has been incorrectly translated; if you look it up, you'll see the translation should be 'gathered up' their hair, not cut. After all, just below their ears would make their hair shorter than Rasulullah's :saw:!

No daleel :rofl1:

Sorry sorry XD XD It was too cheap a joke to resist. I'm so immature.
                      ?????? la howla wala qawata illah billah...ajeeb.shaikh bin baz and imam al nawawi didnt agree with you.
                      Last edited by *asiya*; 18-06-10, 12:52 AM.

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

I've seen something about that translation on sunnipath was it? Somewhere, where someone showed that fatwa and the scholar said that was an incorrect translation. I looked it up in my copy of Muslim and again, it was translated as gathered up, tied, not cut.
                        ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
                        PALEO!

Comment

really... well ajeeb that great scolars like yourself and those at sufipath can outshine the likes of imam al nawawi

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

Comment

:jkk:

for this info, wondered if i could shave my hair for a whole new re-growth. Looks like me got me answer
                            (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

Oh I've found the discrepancy:

Edit to add better quote from SF:
                              http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...l=1#post282680
                              Sidi, you will see that arabic wording is very important here.. The word as I recalled is indeed wafrah.. Here is the full hadith and please look at the context..

صحيح مسلم - (ج 2 / ص 409)
                              754 - وَحَدَّثَنِى عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ مُعَاذٍ الْعَنْبَرِىُّ قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا أَبِى قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا شُعْبَةُ عَنْ أَبِى بَكْرِ بْنِ حَفْصٍ عَنْ أَبِى سَلَمَةَ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ قَالَ دَخَلْتُ عَلَى عَائِشَةَ أَنَا وَأَخُوهَا مِنَ الرَّضَاعَةِ فَسَأَلَهَا عَنْ غُسْلِ النَّبِىِّ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- مِنَ الْجَنَابَةِ فَدَعَتْ بِإِنَاءٍ قَدْرِ الصَّاعِ فَاغْتَسَلَتْ وَبَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَهَا سِتْرٌ وَأَفْرَغَتْ عَلَى رَأْسِهَا ثَلاَثًا. قَالَ وَكَانَ أَزْوَاجُ النَّبِىِّ -صلى الله عليه وسلم- يَأْخُذْنَ مِنْ رُءُوسِهِنَّ حَتَّى تَكُونَ كَالْوَفْرَةِ.

The MSA Hadith search engine gave the following translation.. but I will point out a couple of aspects inshAllah..

"Abu Salamah. 'Abd al-Rahman reported: I along with the foster brother of 'A'isha went to her and he asked about the bath of the Apostle (may peace be upon him) because of sexual intercourse. She called for a vessel equal to a Sa' and she took a bath. and there was a curtain between us and her. She poured water on her head thrice and he (Abu Salama) said: The wives of the Apostle (may peace be upon him) collected hair on their heads and these lopped up to ears (and did rot go beyond that)."

The first word in question is Akhaza (Ya'khuzna) which indeed comes in the meaning of cutting. BUT contextually it refers to gather or to take hold of. But one could argue as Imam Nawawi r.a did. Basically those who take it as cutting, have no indication here in this hadith to show that this refers to cutting.. while the hadith's context shows that it was to take hold of the hair.. so that perhaps to wash the back etc.

Also note that we have another hadith which says that wives of Rasulullah used to seperate their hairs into 4 plaits for bathing.. showing the same indication of collecting and not cutting.

المعجم الكبير للطبراني - (ج 6 / ص 168)
                              6257 - حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بن عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بن بَكْرٍ السَّرَّاجُ الْعَسْكَرِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ بن إِبْرَاهِيمَ التَّرْجُمَانِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا عُمَرُ بن هَارُونَ، عَنْ جَعْفَرِ بن مُحَمَّدٍ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ سَالِمٍ، خَادِمِ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ،"أَنَّ أَزْوَاجَ النَّبِيِّ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ كُنَّ يَجْعَلْنَ رُءُوسَهُنَّ أَرْبَعَ قُرُونٍ، فَإِذَا اغْتَسَلْنَ جَمَعْنَهُنَّ عَلَى أَوْسَاطِ رُءُوسِهِنَّ".

Another aspect being that the hadith mentioned a tashbeeh(similitude), and not a direct reference to wafrah. It says.. kal wafrah.. (i.e like wafrah). Which would mean that the hair was collected so much that it resembled wafrah.

Then, the word Wafra has different understandings as well. This is mentioned by Imam Nawawi r.a himself, one of them being "more or longer than limma" (limma is hair until shoulders). So in these different meanings, we see that there is no indication again to chose the meaning of (hair till ear lobes).

Amazingly, Imam Nawawi r.a does make an indication in his Sharh to the Qawl of Qadi Ayyadh r.a that what was more known in the era of Rasulullah was making of plaits and locks, (however this emulated shortening of hair so he said that) and perhaps the wives of Rasulullah did it after the death of Rasulullah because of no need of beautifying, and to be free from long hair .

In the aspect that you said about Imam Nawawi r.a "this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short" ..

The words Imam nawawi r.a uses are ..

شرح النووي على مسلم - (ج 2 / ص 23)
                              وَفِيهِ دَلِيل عَلَى جَوَاز تَخْفِيف الشُّعُور لِلنِّسَاءِ

The word Takhfeef means to lessen, lighten. And also, Imam Nawawi r.a does not mention the length of the hair, just that it is permissible for women to lighten their hair. However, if he is taking the meaning of Ya'khuzna in the meaning of cutting and Wafra in the meaning of short hair then what you stated will be implied.

Imam Nawawi r.a while quoting Qadi Ayaad r.a says that "takhfeef being for the provision for the hair". that is to say.. when you lighten the hair so that it may grow even more. It could also mean.. when you lighten the hair so that you can massage your head with oil to nourish the head more. and it is upon this that Imam Nawawi r.a made the above claim of takhfeef. It still does not show that he is of view of cutting the hair short etc.

All in all, we can say that this part of discussion is ambiguous, and we will need to strengthen it with some other hadith which may talk about the hair of the wives of Rasulullah . Ulama mention the hadith which I quoted about the 4 plaits showing the hair being enough to make 4 plaits and that that would explain this hadith to be the collecting of such ammount of hair that resembles wafrah for the purpose of ease of bathing, and not cutting as can be misinterpreted from its apparent meaning.
                              But who cares, it was only written by a soofee yeah??

really... well ajeeb that great scolars like yourself and those at sufipath can outshine the likes of imam al nawawi
                              Thanks sis, I love you for Allah's sake too :love:

for this info, wondered if i could shave my hair for a whole new re-growth. Looks like me got me answer
                              If you're shafi'i you can, but it's still makruh. The others forbid it, I believe.
                              Last edited by C Bear; 18-06-10, 01:13 AM. Reason: Better source from SF
                              ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
                              PALEO!

Comment

Working...
                              X