Food question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food question...

Would baking something halal in the same oven something haram is baked make it haraam? Bakery shops such as Greggs and Percy Ingle bake in batches and probably bake both halal and haram food together. So that would make it haram, because of the grease, vapours etc, right? Just need a clarification. If this is so I suggest staying away from such places. Better to be safe than sorry. No more cheese and onion pasty :(
    WheN tHe WoRlD PuShEs yOu tO yOuR KnEeS, YoUr in ThE BeST PoSiTiOn to PrAy

Re: Food question...

Originally posted by mmmilkybar View Post

Would baking something halal in the same oven something haram is baked make it haraam? Bakery shops such as Greggs and Percy Ingle bake in batches and probably bake both halal and haram food together. So that would make it haram, because of the grease, vapours etc, right? Just need a clarification. If this is so I suggest staying away from such places. Better to be safe than sorry. No more cheese and onion pasty :(
    actually gregs use animal fats in all their products, whether meat or otherwise.
    Daw'ud... is retired from ummah forum

Comment

yeah and when they were losing muslim customers they decided to introduce 'halal' chicken pies

o.p - as you said, better save than sorry and if in doubt, leave it out :) dont worry, there's plenty of halal bakeries around, alhumdu'lillah
      http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

I don't know how Greggs or other bakeries operate, but merely putting a halal product in an oven that was previously used to bake something haram in itself would not make the halal product become haram. I'm not a scholar but that is my opinion based on the fact that the product does not contain any haram ingredients nor has it had contact with haraam ingredients. I draw the line where the item has DIRECT contact with haraam for example if the oven tray was greased with lard then I wouldn't eat the contents even if they are made from otherwise halal ingredients. I hope that makes sense and by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

Btw if a food outlet specifies that its product is suitable for vegetarians then it normally means it is safe to eat unless it contains alcohol. Some items LOOk vegetarian but are not so they should be avoided. I realised this when I noticed that the popadoms (and certain other crisps items) in the supermarket weren't suitable for veggies (the ingredients list didn't list any animal products but wrote something vague like 'contains flavourings' and that was it). They probably add an animal product as some sort of preservative but I decided to stop buying them and look more carefully for the V symbol.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

In chicken pasties, chicken may be hallal but is the pastry hallal ?
          If in doubt,leave it out !
          Some are shady outlets ;
          they know that muslims will believe if they put up a notice saying hallal.
          Draw closer to Allah swt, contemplate about His vast creation .

Atheism is a deathblow to one's thinking.....it's an idea that is as far-fetched as any imaginary world that a child is able to conjure up; and it is an error unsurpassed in the annals of errors. 'Aaidh ibn Abdullah al-Qarni

Comment

You need to watch out for cross-contamination. It's best to stay clear of these places.
            "Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes"

Comment

Working...
            X