how do you establish a multicultural masjid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you establish a multicultural masjid

Do any of the brothers or sisters attend a multicultural masjid if so how was it setup.

When i see documentaries or hear stories about American masaajid you always see or hear that you actually see diversity and mashalah brotherhood/sisterhood. Coming orginally from the UK it tended to be more sort of Bengali or Pakistani dominated masaajid but hardly ever if at all a masjid that was mixed or had a mixed commitee.

I was thinking if some of the elders wanted lessons in in their language then that could be provided and you could have lesson in the languages of the people in the community and at the same time a mixed commitee and mixed attendees of the mosque.

i think it would benefit muslims more if they invested in one very big masjid that would cater for the majority of need like funerals and eid and marriage services and all other things that a community needs.

i would like to know how one does all this
    Last edited by hamza89; 02-06-10, 12:54 PM.

Re: how do you establish a multicultural masjid

assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah

the masjid i go to is masha'Allah, tabarak'Allah what you call multi cultural. it is predominately arab and somalian but there's also many white sisters, black sisters, asian sisters. masha'Allah but sorry i do not know how it was set up....
    http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
      assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah

the masjid i go to is masha'Allah, tabarak'Allah what you call multi cultural. it is predominately arab and somalian but there's also many white sisters, black sisters, asian sisters. masha'Allah but sorry i do not know how it was set up....
      is this Greenlane in Birmingham ? or Wright street mosque AKA masjid asalafee

Comment

Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
        is this Greenlane in Birmingham ? or Wright street mosque AKA masjid asalafee
        nope, ive never been to them two masaajid, i dont live in birmingham

Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

Comment

i am going to have issues trying to set this up and it would help if the brothers and sister could give some insight barakalu fiik

Comment

you have to have an imam that gives khutbahs in clear english, someone that doesn't talk use terms that only a certain group will understand

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
            www.QuranicAudio.com
            www.Quran.com

Comment

yeah true, in the masjid i go, its in arabic and then he translates it into english.. im sure it must be the same everywhere?? i think that the main problem is that people tend to prefer masjids where their own community are prevalant... and then others feel a bit out of place going to these mosques because of the stares and so on and so forth

also and i am not being rude, but people tend to prefer their own cultural imaams who might not give them advice from the authentic sunnah and qur'aan, rather they will tell them what to do on a cultural perspective, but people do not mind this because sometimes, unfortunately, people hold culture in a higher regard than religion.

i think that one will only ever establish a multicultural masjid which is succesful when people get the whole cultural mentality out of their head.

do not get me wrong, im not saying have nothing to do with your culture, rather, i am saying do not allow your culture to dictate your religon
              Last edited by sis_on_sunnah; 02-06-10, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Do any of the brothers or sisters attend a multicultural masjid if so how was it setup.

When i see documentaries or hear stories about American masaajid you always see or hear that you actually see diversity and mashalah brotherhood/sisterhood. Coming orginally from the UK it tended to be more sort of Bengali or Pakistani dominated masaajid but hardly ever if at all a masjid that was mixed or had a mixed commitee.

I was thinking if some of the elders wanted lessons in in their language then that could be provided and you could have lesson in the languages of the people in the community and at the same time a mixed commitee and mixed attendees of the mosque.

i think it would benefit muslims more if they invested in one very big masjid that would cater for the majority of need like funerals and eid and marriage services and all other things that a community needs.

i would like to know how one does all this
                i am going to have issues trying to set this up and it would help if the brothers and sister could give some insight barakalu fiik

Comment

is that the same place in manchester where there are like flats which are a part the masjid?

Comment

Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
                    yeah true, in the masjid i go, its in arabic and then he translates it into english.. im sure it must be the same everywhere?? i think that the main problem is that people tend to prefer masjids where their own community are prevalant... and then others feel a bit out of place going to these mosques because of the stares and so on and so forth
                    I go to masjid umar and no one gets stares or anything like that

I think the only time some brothers feel out of place is when they find out the bayaan is not in english, most of the time they are in english but some weeks a gujrati imam gives a khutbah and you can tell the african brothers feel awkward

He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
                    www.QuranicAudio.com
                    www.Quran.com

Comment

I am in the same dump as these brothers were . the masjid where i am is mixed but the commitee is all Pakistani and i have tried to ask for other members of the community to be allowed to have lessons in nigerian/ Arabic. and theyre not helpfull at all they dont want lessons in languages other than urdu

Comment

:salams

Yeah i think it's having the khutbah in clear english, having other brothers/sisters who are knowledgable and helpful within the masjid itself (like with adivce, links to the imam etc) who are from different ethnicities, not just favouring one cultural group, like being neutral, basing things on islam first and not culture/race, generally i think it helps when others in the masjid like helpers etc are from all walks of life.

The masjid which i attend the imam is Arab but then there are others who are Jamaican, reverts, Somali's, Pakistanis's, i mean its full blown mix. An the beauty of it is, that they aren't racist themselves, so its all clear.

Just have people from different walks (repeated that like 3rd time now) and English being the central language of course for all to understand.
                        (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

Comment

The thing is some of the brothers in our masjid think that we are trying to take over. , myself my Japanese friend, and nigerian brother all of are classmates/roommates from our university days in makkah. anyway we are having a lot of difficulty trying to convince some of the people about seriously making the masjid more active being more proactive . getting more funding from Saudi Arabia, trying to get on to the imam sudais charity,and many other things.

all these brothers care about is there friday khutbah in Urdu and their weekly faadil e amal classes.
                          when we want start classes have community involvment reach out to the community.

the masjid has been open since early 90's and these brother have done nothing in terms of dawa all they have taught for the last 20 years is read faadil e amal.

we've asked them to pick asian brother of knowledge if they so want, but they dont even want that.

so i have to told them we have qualified Japanese da'ee fluent in Arabic and Japanese and a haafidh . lets let him lead tarawih this year and try and increase the dawa to Native japanese people.

these brother dont care and seem not to want to care

Comment

^yh thas no good bro, paki's want to run the show when they are in majority, tell them the hadith about the pious man who went to jahanum because he did not spread the deen to others

why not just ignore them and do another jamat afterwards with the bayaan in japanese? they can't keep holding back the deen like this, if you do get the japanese hafidh to do a jamaat it would be great dawah

www.QuranicAudio.com
                            www.Quran.com

Comment

I am in the same dump as these brothers were . the masjid where i am is mixed but the commitee is all Pakistani and i have tried to ask for other members of the community to be allowed to have lessons in nigerian/ Arabic. and theyre not helpfull at all they dont want lessons in languages other than urdu

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X