Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

    the muslim world has a maybe a few hundred top ranked scholars that are largely unknown to masses other than serious students of knowledge and those with a keen interrest in the religion of allah.

    On the other hand speakers like brother Yusuf Estes, Dr Zakir Naik and the such speakers are becoming household names , with channels like peace tv etc.

    this is not a thread for the bashing of these brothers rather i commend this rightious brothers for their efforts in spreading islam. However i do not agree with the way they are being percieved by the public.

    For example often when these brothers give lectures there are asked questions which they cannot answer but they attempt to and have at times made mistakes which could have been avoided.

    Something that startled me was when a lecture was being given in Dubai or Qatar by Mufti Taqi usmani hafidulaha a senior scholar on finance , he was discussion Islamic finance that was very interresting the vast majority of people that went were brothers from the sub-continent that knew him but no more than 100 people, there was another lecture going which one by Yusuf Estes which was so packed that people were sitting outside.

    My point is if i am ill i go to the best doctor, i don't go to a secondary student who told me he studied biology.

    likewise our religion is something that will either send us to paradise or hell , when it comes to health we run to the best doctor but when it comes to religion we don't take our time and ask those with knowledge.

    We should respect those brothers who are involved in Dawa and comparetive religion etc, at the same time lets inshalah direct our islamic questions to scholars the senior people of knowledge that we refer to.

  • #2
    Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

    أصبت
    جزاكم الله خيرا
    islamway
    اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

      How do you access these scholars in order to get an answer conviniently?

      You do make a good point tho'
      (The hypocrites) will call the believers: "Were we not with you?" The believers will reply: "Yes! But you led yourselves into temptations, you looked forward for our destruction; you doubted (in Faith); and you were deceived by false desires, till the Command of Allah came to pass. And the chief deceiver (Satan) deceived you in respect of Allah."57:14

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

        Scholars mainly, though I don't mind speakers.
        وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

        And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."


        أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

        Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].


        Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

        Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

          I wholeheartedly agree. This is a huge problem we have, especially here in the west.. it's all hype really. One of the reasons I don't bother going to these talks anymore.
          May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
          I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
          *
          My Blog

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

            abu jaffar remind me of the brother who is kind of funny and who is Syrian i think he gives dawa some consider him a scholar. he makes a lot of jokes when he is giving a scholar. very famous in Arab world.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

              Originally posted by zammy View Post
              I wholeheartedly agree. This is a huge problem we have, especially here in the west.. it's all hype really. One of the reasons I don't bother going to these talks anymore.
              very big problem not just in the west we have plenty of celebrity speakers in middle east , scholars should be giving more time but then again .

              a good example would be scholars that are teaching fathul bari to a class of 50 dedicated students cannot be compared to speakers that are constantly talking about womans rights in islam.
              i mean one of the things that is happening is that the scholars are out of touch with the people . the level of knowledge , the gap in knowledge is so big that sometimes muslims feel out of touch.

              However your eeman rises when senior scholars give lectures you actually feel your eeman increasing

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
                the muslim world has a maybe a few hundred top ranked scholars that are largely unknown to masses other than serious students of knowledge and those with a keen interrest in the religion of allah.

                On the other hand speakers like brother Yusuf Estes, Dr Zakir Naik and the such speakers are becoming household names , with channels like peace tv etc.

                this is not a thread for the bashing of these brothers rather i commend this rightious brothers for their efforts in spreading islam. However i do not agree with the way they are being percieved by the public.

                For example often when these brothers give lectures there are asked questions which they cannot answer but they attempt to and have at times made mistakes which could have been avoided.

                Something that startled me was when a lecture was being given in Dubai or Qatar by Mufti Taqi usmani hafidulaha a senior scholar on finance , he was discussion Islamic finance that was very interresting the vast majority of people that went were brothers from the sub-continent that knew him but no more than 100 people, there was another lecture going which one by Yusuf Estes which was so packed that people were sitting outside.

                My point is if i am ill i go to the best doctor, i don't go to a secondary student who told me he studied biology.

                likewise our religion is something that will either send us to paradise or hell , when it comes to health we run to the best doctor but when it comes to religion we don't take our time and ask those with knowledge.

                We should respect those brothers who are involved in Dawa and comparetive religion etc, at the same time lets inshalah direct our islamic questions to scholars the senior people of knowledge that we refer to
                .
                very good point and have to agree. I have bee to talks being given by scholars but not to any orators that are well known in western muslim societies.
                لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                  Originally posted by truepath View Post
                  very good point and have to agree. I have bee to talks being given by scholars but not to any orators that are well known in western muslim societies.
                  I sometimes wonder whether language has a part to play in this

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                    It's also the job of the students of the scholars to connect them with the laymen.. usually they are the ones doing the translating and connecting, because if you don't know Arabic yourself, your benefit from the 'ulamaa is more limited.
                    May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
                    I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
                    *
                    My Blog

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                      Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
                      I sometimes wonder whether language has a part to play in this
                      I dont think so. One thing I believe is orators use different types of media such as Television, Internet, events and conference talks to aid their dawah work . However, we dont really see the senior scholars from Islamic world using media but they stick to traditional methods.

                      There are some top ranking scholars in Saharanpur in North India but hardly anyone knows them. Just by listening to their talks on one issue one feels like subhanallsh never looked at it in that way
                      لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                        Originally posted by truepath View Post
                        I dont think so. One thing I believe is orators use different types of media such as Television, Internet, events and conference talks to aid their dawah work . However, we dont really see the senior scholars from Islamic world using media but they stick to traditional methods.

                        There are some top ranking scholars in Saharanpur in North India but hardly anyone knows them. Just by listening to their talks on one issue one feels like subhanallsh never looked at it in that way
                        I agree how many people know the scholars of India, Somalia , Sudan, Mauritania, Indonesia.
                        I remember at university when a couple of Mauritanian scholars came and gave us a series of lectures on Arabic wonders of the quran. well the vast majority just sat in awe

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                          i think the problem is lay people just dont know where to go or who to ask. these people who are heavily involved in dawah are well known, but theyre not the people to go to if you need fatwas etc, but these are the only people who they think they can ask and who are readily accessible
                          Patience...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Scholars or speakers - who do you ask your islamic queries

                            Originally posted by hamza89 View Post
                            the muslim world has a maybe a few hundred top ranked scholars that are largely unknown to masses other than serious students of knowledge and those with a keen interrest in the religion of allah.

                            On the other hand speakers like brother Yusuf Estes, Dr Zakir Naik and the such speakers are becoming household names , with channels like peace tv etc.

                            this is not a thread for the bashing of these brothers rather i commend this rightious brothers for their efforts in spreading islam. However i do not agree with the way they are being percieved by the public.

                            For example often when these brothers give lectures there are asked questions which they cannot answer but they attempt to and have at times made mistakes which could have been avoided.

                            Something that startled me was when a lecture was being given in Dubai or Qatar by Mufti Taqi usmani hafidulaha a senior scholar on finance , he was discussion Islamic finance that was very interresting the vast majority of people that went were brothers from the sub-continent that knew him but no more than 100 people, there was another lecture going which one by Yusuf Estes which was so packed that people were sitting outside.

                            My point is if i am ill i go to the best doctor, i don't go to a secondary student who told me he studied biology.

                            likewise our religion is something that will either send us to paradise or hell , when it comes to health we run to the best doctor but when it comes to religion we don't take our time and ask those with knowledge.

                            We should respect those brothers who are involved in Dawa and comparetive religion etc, at the same time lets inshalah direct our islamic questions to scholars the senior people of knowledge that we refer to.
                            Excellent post brother. In the past they were not known as scholars but story tellers by the scholars of hadeeth and fiqh. In fact they were looked down because they would mix stories with hadeeth to make it appealing to people. Basically they could take the audience on a roller coster ride with entertaining talks. The same applies today where if you invite someone to dars of Hadeeth by qualified scholars, some people are just not interested. However if the see en entertaining topic on dajjal or something similar you see packed halls. This comes down one thing, are we seeking entertainment and embelished speech or true knowledge with a sincere intention.

                            Once Sayyiduna Salaman Farsi (May Allah be pleased with him) visited a masjid (after the time of the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be Upon Him). The people flocked to the masjid to see him. Sayyiduna Salaman Farsi (May Allah be pleased with him) opened the Quran and started reciting Surah Yusuf, one by one the people started to leave the masjid until there was only a handful left. Sayyiduna Salaman (May Allah be pleased with him) closed the Quran and angrly rebuked the people. 'What did you come to seek embelished speech, I recite the book of Allah to you and you flee!'

                            This is our state today we flee from true knowledge and Ullemah towards entertainment.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X