Clear All

• Nouveau riche

Do you Agree with this statement?
    If yes, then why?
    If no, then why?
    islamway
    اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Re: Nouveau riche

From my understanding, it's someone who has recently become rich or wealthy, but the is not accepted by already established rich and wealthy. People like these tend to show off their newly acquired riches, I guess when I think of nouveau riche, Rap Stars come to mind with their "bling bling" and obnoxious cars?

Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
    Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Originally posted by nousername View Post
      From my understanding, it's someone who has recently become rich or wealthy, but the is not accepted by already established rich and wealthy. People like these tend to show off their newly acquired riches, I guess when I think of nouveau riche, Rap Stars come to mind with their "bling bling" and obnoxious cars?
      oh why they aren't accepted by the already established rich and wealthy?

Comment

did some body fall into some money somewhere? : )
        http://www.egaldesigns.com
        Currently undergoing a hairdo :hidban:

Comment

what statement?
          Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post
            what statement?
            the name of the thread i think "Nouveau riche"
            http://www.egaldesigns.com
            Currently undergoing a hairdo :hidban:

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Jaffar View Post
              If yes, then why?
              If no, then why?
              I know what the phrase itself means, but I'm not sure what you're asking in your question- are you referring to the negative connotations associated with the expression?

Probably de-railing as I don't get your question, but an observation to do with the acquisition of wealth: personally when I see people (especially Muslims subhanallah) pursuing dunya like crazy (and succeeding so therefore pursuing some more) at the expense of deen it makes me think of all the wealth they acquire as being useless. It might buy the temporary joys and comforts of this world but such a person would be bankrupt in akhirah. On the other hand, someone who strives the best they can for dunya alongside deen, depending on the rizq of Allah, mashaAllah such a person gets my respect and admiration. This especially when you see people refusing to deal with things like ribaa for the sake of Allah, even though on a dunya-only basis that might seem like the more profitable deal. And also, didn't RasulAllah :saw: say that he feared wealth not poverty for us, as it would destroy us like the people before us? May Allah protect us from that, aameen.

My penny's worth. Someone who actually understood the question get the thread back on track now inshaAllah!

*** 3 days and counting left to write to sister Aafia- have YOU done it yet??? ***
              ربنا واجعلنا مسلمين لك ومن ذريتنا أمة مسلمة لك وأرنا مناسكنا وتب علينا إنك أنت التواب الرحيم

Our Lord, make us Muslims submitted to You, and our descendants a Muslim community submitted to You. Show us our rites of worship and turn towards us. You are the Ever-Returning, the Most Merciful. [2: 128]

http://livingthemuslimlife.wordpress.com/

Comment

^^^ well said:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Jaffar View Post
                  If yes, then why?
                  If no, then why?
                  Sounds like a moistourising ointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
                    oh why they aren't accepted by the already established rich and wealthy?
                    In my city, the old money looks down upon the "nouveau riche" because they aren't established enough. They didn't go to the right schools, lived in the right neighborhood etc...pretty lame, but meh, whatever floats their boat. Money is money and will eventually destroy you no matter if you are old money or new.

Comment

Do I agree with the statement.....well No, because It is linked in with the socioeconomic ranking, and I personally do not beleive that money is a indicator of a "good breed", or a better human.

The distinction of a good human from another depends on his taqwa and adherence to Sunnah and the commands of Allah azza Wa jall and not the amount of welath he has.

As for the finnesse and style which is often associated with the upper class, well so much emphasis is placed on akhlaaq in the life of believer, you'd expect all muslims to be well mannered, with refined social etiquette.

But sometimes.....as life is, its not about what you, rather who you know and sometimes that gets you very far....

But wealth, although it helps, weather newely aquired or not, is really not an indicator of anything....its just wealth that Allah has blessed a person with, and that it what is should be seen as.

Allah gives to who he wills and witholds from who he will, who on earth are we to comment on that?
                      وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

the statement Nouveau riche usually directed to newly richpeople, exploiting their fortune randomly.
                        islamway
                        اللهم ارزقنا حُسن الخاتِمة

Comment

i thought you were talking about an art piece...yeah Allah has given them some of his bounty, they should share it.
                          وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by NoLa View Post
                            In my city, the old money looks down upon the "nouveau riche" because they aren't established enough. They didn't go to the right schools, lived in the right neighborhood etc...pretty lame, but meh, whatever floats their boat. Money is money and will eventually destroy you no matter if you are old money or new.
                            hahaha, who cares right, sometimes it better not being accepted by them, cos the tendency of some established wealthy people, the greedy ones who never have it enough to wanting to be wealthier and wealthier by flocking only with the wealthy ones, connection they say. or could be jealousy?, could be the nouveau riche are a lot wealthier them them? hence the bitterness?

anyway, it's true that could be the nouveau riche are still stuck to their old ways, you know the low maintanence or cheap life style that they still have, can't live up to the standards of the old money's life style hahaha. The best thing is the freedom to decide how to live your own life and not dictated by certain standard or pressure just because you are wealthy.:up:

Comment

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
                              hahaha, who cares right, sometimes it better not being accepted by them, cos the tendency of some established wealthy people, the greedy ones who never have it enough to wanting to be wealthier and wealthier by flocking only with the wealthy ones, connection they say. or could be jealousy?, could be the nouveau riche are a lot wealthier them them? hence the bitterness?

anyway, it's true that could be the nouveau riche are still stuck to their old ways, you know the low maintanence or cheap life style that they still have, can't live up to the standards of the old money's life style hahaha. The best thing is the freedom to decide how to live your own life and not dictated by certain standard or pressure just because you are wealthy.:up:
                              stuck with, I can never be wealthy:p

Comment

Working...
                              X