Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nightmares and Sleeptalking

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Nightmares and Sleeptalking

    ASA,
    I've got a ridiculous problem going on for me which I'm trying to figure out a solution to and I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and how they dealt with it; here goes:
    As long back as I can remember I've been sleeptalking quite often (multiple times a week) and lets just say I'm def. not a kid anymore. This charming trait comes along with nightmares.
    The last 2 years this combination has increased and now I actually talk in my sleep every single night told kindly by my parents; however the only thing I myself have noticed is that I wake up feeling exhausted and unsafe.
    NOW THIS IS THE PROBLEM: I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I GET NIGHTMARES WHEN I GO TO SLEEP IMMEDIATELY AFTER ISHA'A, PRAY AYAT AL KURSI, THE 3 LAST QULS AND SLEEP ON MY RIGHT SIDE????????????????

    I don't even know where to begin to fix this as anymore as I've tried everything I can find on this subject (sleeping on time, getting enough sleep etc) and the last resort seems to be monitored when I sleep by a sleep-expert and that is something I'm NOT going to volunteer for.

    Advice needed please as I can't function properly anymore and duct tape is not an option

    WS
    "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
    Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

  • #2
    Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

    did your parents tell you what you say whilst your asleep? That is the clue.

    w/s

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

      can bad dreams ever be from Allah? like for example bad things that come true or like bad to do with your Eemaan as in you might be doing something wrong but you are not aware of it and you see the consequences it has on your emaan in a dream so its a bad dream but could it be from Allah as an eye opener? :scratch:
      Jo kaam karta hai tu chup ke jahaan se
      koi dekhta hai tujhe aasmaan se

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

        well, i knew a guy who would sit up in his sleep and have a conversation with someone or some times shout out like his still playing Call of duty, and just fall right back.
        he woke up saying he feels like he hasn't slept properly. i told him what happened and he didn't believe me, so the next night i recored him and showed him the video.
        after a few days of trying everything, we decided that we will have to make him really tired before he goes to sleep, so we would go for a two hour run, got him really exhausted, and made him sleep late, he went to sleep and didn't make a noise, if he did talk; i was too tired to hear him. but i would suggest change, try to sleep in another room or bed, just try changing what you usually do and see what happends
        Last edited by BARAA IBN MALIK; 25-05-10, 11:25 PM.
        http://www.egaldesigns.com
        Currently undergoing a hairdo :hidban:

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

          Originally posted by islam4u2 View Post
          did your parents tell you what you say whilst your asleep? That is the clue.

          w/s
          It varies; e.g sometimes it's a fight other times crying and other times escaping/scared of something. It's just really embaressing as a grown adult to have to seem like a little child in front of your parents so I avoid asking them the details plus they've gotten used to it so they don't stay awake listening to entire conversations I have.

          Originally posted by imported_MMS View Post
          can bad dreams ever be from Allah? like for example bad things that come true or like bad to do with your Eemaan as in you might be doing something wrong but you are not aware of it and you see the consequences it has on your emaan in a dream so its a bad dream but could it be from Allah as an eye opener? :scratch:
          well I think one can have "warning" dreams but the type of nightmares I have are not in that category

          Originally posted by BARAA IBN MALIK View Post
          well, i knew a guy who would sit up in his sleep and have a conversation with someone or some times shout out like his still playing Call of duty, and just fall right back.
          he woke up saying he feels like he hasn't slept properly. i told him what happened and he didn't believe me, so the next night i recored him and showed him the video.
          after a few days of trying everything, we decided that we will have to make him really tired before he goes to sleep, so we would go for a two hour run, got him really exhausted, and made him sleep late, he went to sleep and didn't make a noise, if he did talk; i was too tired to hear him. but i would suggest change, try to sleep in another room or bed, just try changing what you usually do and see what happends
          omg...umm I used to do that a lot besides kicking too. I would somehow sit up all of a sudden while sleeping and just be like that for minutes.
          About the change bit; I think exhausting myself would perhaps be a good idea even though I don't have any problems falling asleep. Changing places doesn't seem to help as I almost always sleeptalk when I'm travelling and have to sleep somewhere else than our own home
          "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
          Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

            assalamu alaykum

            do you see black animals in your dreams??

            when you awake from your nightmares, spit on your left side and curse the shaytaan..

            maybe have surah baqarah playing whilst you are sleeping on a low volume...try that for a couple of days insha'Allah
            http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

            Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

              what are your sleeping patterns like? Do you get the right amount of sleep?

              do wudu before you sleep, recite surah falaq and make duaa to Allah to help understand your dreams. Also when you awaken for Fajr say the wake up duaa.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                also, just to add on, try reciting some qur'aan before you sleep, insha'Allah. it doesnt have to be much, a page or so. also, praise Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala before you sleep, 33x subhanAllah. 33x Alhumdu'lillah and 33 times Allahu akbar and then recite the shahadah insha'Allah. you should also curse the shaytaan before you sleep, maybe recite 3x audhoo bilahi minash shaytaan ir rajeem

                this may all sound like simple things, but trust me with the help of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala it could be effective
                http://www.deenulhuq.wordpress.com

                Don't depend on anyone too much in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness ~ibn taymiyyah

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                  Wa alaikum salaam,

                  SubhanAllah that sounds tiring to say the least!
                  Allah knows best but it seems that the protection ur doing is somehow not working for you.
                  Do you by any chance have any images on display in your room? any taweez? eating haram food? got a dog in the house? might seem unrelated but these things have an affect on your protection.
                  With reciting ayatul kursi and the 3 quls, an angel should be protecting you throughout the night from the shaytan harming you.

                  as well as what ur currently doing, you should ensure you sleep in a state of wudhu.

                  Also, try playing the following recitation of surah al baqarah throughout the night at repeat on low volume, inshaAllah that should help get rid of shaytan, as long as u dont have images on display, taweez, etc.

                  Here's the link: http://quranicaudio.com/download/13727

                  WaSalaam
                  "You are the best nation raised up for men. You enjoin good and forbid evil, and you believe in Allah." (Surah Al Imran 3:110)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                    Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

                    As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

                    Akhi, I would like to make a quotation from an answer regarding how to protect oneself from nightmares, and InshaAllah, we will all benefit from it. You might recognise some of the advice given, and others might be new for you.

                    Praise be to Allaah.

                    1. Dreams that disturb a person and keep him awake come from the Shaytaan. In general, the dreams that people see are either good dreams which come from Allaah, a reflection of things which a person is thinking about, or a third type, which are dreams that come from the Shaytaan.

                    It was reported from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Towards the end of time, hardly any dreams that the Muslim sees will not come true. The one whose dreams are the most truthful will be the one whose speech is the most honest. The dreams of the Muslim form one of the forty-five parts of Prophecy. Dreams are of three types: the good dream which is good news from Allaah; dreams which cause distress, which come from the Shaytaan; and dreams concerning matters which a person is thinking about…” (Narrated by Muslim, 2263)

                    2. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us how to rid ourselves of the influence of Shaytaan during sleep. This can be achieved by reciting verses from the Qur’aan and du’aa’s narrated from him, before going to sleep.

                    It was reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) put me in charge of guarding the zakaah of Ramadaan. Someone came and started to scatter the food. I took hold of him and said, ‘I will take you to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).’… He said, ‘When you go to bed, recite Aayat al-Kursi and you will be protected by Allaah, and no shaytaan (devil) will come near you until morning.’ The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘He told you the truth even though he is a liar. That was a shaytaan.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3101).

                    (b) It was reported that Abu Mas’ood al-Badri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The last two aayahs of Soorat al-Baqarah – whoever recites them at night, they will be sufficient for him.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3786; Muslim, 807).

                    Al-Nawawi said: “Concerning the phrase, ‘The last two aayahs of Soorat al-Baqarah – whoever recites them at night, they will be sufficient for him’, it was said that it means, they will be sufficient for him instead of praying qiyaam al-layl, or as protection from Shaytaan, or as protection from vermin. It could mean all of these things.”
                    (Sharh Muslim, 6/91, 92).

                    (c) It was reported that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “When the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went to his bed, he would blow into his hands and recite Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad (Soorah 112) and the Mi’wadhatayn (Soorahs 113 and 114). Then he would wipe his hands over his face and his body, as far as they could reach.” ‘Aa’ishah said: “When he fell ill, He would ask me to do that for him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5416; Muslim, 2192)

                    (d) It was reported that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to tell us, when any one of us wanted to sleep, to lie on his right side, then say ‘Allaahumma Rabb al-samaawaati wa Rabb al-ard wa Rabb al-‘Arsh il-‘Azeem, Rabbana wa Rabba kulli shay’in, faaliq al-habb wa’l-nawa wa munazzil al-Tawraata wa’l-Injeeli wa’l-Furaan, a’oodhu bika min sharri kulli shay’in anta aakhidhun bi naasiyatihi. Allaahumma anta al-awwal fa laysa qablaka shay’un, wa anta al-aakhir fa laysa ba’daka shay’un. Wa anta al-zaahir fa laysa fawqaka shay’un wa anta al-baatin fa laysa doonaka shay’un. Iqdi ‘annaa al-dayna wa aghninaa min al-faqr (O' Allaah, Lord of the heavens and the earth, and Lord of the Mighty Throne, our Lord and Lord of all things, Splitter of the seed and the date stone, Revealer of the Tawraat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel) and the Furqaan (Qur’aan), I seek refuge in You from the evil of all things that You will seize by the forelock [i.e., have full control over them]. O Allaah, You are the First and there is nothing before You; You are the Last and there is nothing after You. You are the Manifest (al-Zaahir) and there is nothing above You; You are the Hidden (al-Baatin and there is nothing beyond You. Settle our debt and spare us from poverty).’” (Narrated by Muslim, 2713).

                    (e) It was reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Abu Bakr said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, teach me something that I can say in the morning and in the evening.’ He said: ‘Say, Allaahumma ‘Aalim al-ghaybi wa’l-shahaadah, Faatir al-samawaati wa’l-ard, Rabba kulli shay’in wa maleekahu, ashhadu an laa ilaaha illa anta. A’oodhi bika min sharri nafsi wa min sharr il-shaytaan wa shirkih (O Allaah, Knower of the seen and the unseen, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Lord and Sovereign of all things, I bear witness that there is no god except You. I seek refuge in You from the evil of my own self and from the evil and shirk of the Shaytaan). Say this in the morning and in the evening, and when you go to bed.’” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3392; Abu Dawood, 5067).

                    3. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also taught us what to do when someone sees something unpleasant in a dream and wakes up as a result. That is: to spit drily to the left, to seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan, to change the side on which one was sleeping, and to pray if one wishes.

                    (a) It was reported that Abu Qutaadah said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘Good dreams come from Allaah and bad dreams come from the Shaytaan. If any one of you sees a bad dream which makes him afraid, let him spit drily to his left and seek refuge with Allaah from its evil, then it will not harm him.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3118; Muslim, 2261).

                    (b) It was reported from Jaabir that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If any one of you sees a dream that he dislikes, let him spit drily to his left three time, and seek refuge with Allaah from the Shaytaan three times, and change the side on which he was sleeping.” (narrated by Muslim, 2262).

                    (c) It was reported that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If any one of you sees something that he dislikes (in a dream), let him get up and pray, and not tell people about it.’” (narrated by Muslim, 2263)

                    If the Muslim follows this advice given by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), before he goes to bed, it is hoped that no shaytaan will come anywhere near him, and if he follows this advice when he wakes up from a bad dream, it will take away all anxiety and distress from him.

                    And Allaah knows best.

                    Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

                    Source: Ways of protecting oneself from nightmares and disturbing dreams
                    I pray for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to protect you and all other Muslim sisters and brothers from the Shaytan and from evil dreams. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) Enlighten your heart, your days and nights, your dreams with His Nūr, Ameen!

                    Take Care and Stay Blessed!
                    Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
                    Ukhti S.
                    Allah is my Support, the Qur'an and Sunnah is my Guide and Paradise is my Goal!

                    You are the servant, He is the Master.
                    Prayers come from you, answers come from Him.
                    Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him.
                    Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him.
                    Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                      Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
                      assalamu alaykum

                      do you see black animals in your dreams??

                      when you awake from your nightmares, spit on your left side and curse the shaytaan..

                      maybe have surah baqarah playing whilst you are sleeping on a low volume...try that for a couple of days insha'Allah
                      ws
                      I don't know because often I can't remember my dreams or just have a vague idea what it was about. Like today I was kind of forced to wake as I had a very vivid dream about someone placing their hands under my cheekbones and pressing my cheekbones up towards my skull; I felt like my bones would crack from the pressure.
                      I am going to follow your advice insha'Allah and listen to surah Baqarah on the mp3 while I sleep.

                      Originally posted by islam4u2 View Post
                      what are your sleeping patterns like? Do you get the right amount of sleep?

                      do wudu before you sleep, recite surah falaq and make duaa to Allah to help understand your dreams. Also when you awaken for Fajr say the wake up duaa.
                      I think I do and thanks I'll do that insha'Allah

                      Originally posted by sis_on_sunnah View Post
                      also, just to add on, try reciting some qur'aan before you sleep, insha'Allah. it doesnt have to be much, a page or so. also, praise Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala before you sleep, 33x subhanAllah. 33x Alhumdu'lillah and 33 times Allahu akbar and then recite the shahadah insha'Allah. you should also curse the shaytaan before you sleep, maybe recite 3x audhoo bilahi minash shaytaan ir rajeem

                      this may all sound like simple things, but trust me with the help of Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala it could be effective
                      :love: thanks


                      Originally posted by Proud-2b-MUSLIM View Post
                      Wa alaikum salaam,

                      SubhanAllah that sounds tiring to say the least!
                      Allah knows best but it seems that the protection ur doing is somehow not working for you.
                      Do you by any chance have any images on display in your room? any taweez? eating haram food? got a dog in the house? might seem unrelated but these things have an affect on your protection.
                      With reciting ayatul kursi and the 3 quls, an angel should be protecting you throughout the night from the shaytan harming you.

                      as well as what ur currently doing, you should ensure you sleep in a state of wudhu.

                      Also, try playing the following recitation of surah al baqarah throughout the night at repeat on low volume, inshaAllah that should help get rid of shaytan, as long as u dont have images on display, taweez, etc.

                      Here's the link: http://quranicaudio.com/download/13727

                      WaSalaam
                      No I don't have any of that in the house apart from my sis whom I've asked to remove the pics she has of herself in her room. I'm going to do as you all have suggested and hope there'll be some improvement-it just can't continue this way-I'm a complete wreck

                      Originally posted by Ukhti S. View Post
                      Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

                      As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

                      Akhi, I would like to make a quotation from an answer regarding how to protect oneself from nightmares, and InshaAllah, we will all benefit from it. You might recognise some of the advice given, and others might be new for you.



                      I pray for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to protect you and all other Muslim sisters and brothers from the Shaytan and from evil dreams. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) Enlighten your heart, your days and nights, your dreams with His Nūr, Ameen!

                      Take Care and Stay Blessed!
                      Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
                      Ukhti S.
                      Thanks dear and may Allah bless you too
                      "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
                      Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                        mite be jinns messing about with u bro.. i say get yourself checked out by some aalim, theres a few in desbury who cure jinns

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                          Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

                          As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

                          There are a few more things that I would like to bring up which I for a little while ago read.
                          I would like you to ask yourself (you don't have to answer them here, but answer yourself) what is it that you are doing daily?
                          As Muslims it is obligatory upon us to pray 5 times daily but apart from that there are many other things we should do, many things we should keep a distance from.
                          Have a while for yourself and figure out what you are doing that is going against the Will of Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa). Is it a haram action you're doing? Are you watching a movie? Is it some book you're reading? What are you watching on TV? Do you swear alot? What about your thoughts?
                          As Muslims we must always shut our mouth, our ears and our eyes from sinful things. Think if you have incurred something that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) does not approve of.

                          With all due to respect, I am not accusing you for anything but I am rather just giving you some "hints" for yourself to figure out what it is that causes your nightmares and sleeptalking. Also, the quotation I made in my previous reply is really good. InshaAllah, you'll benefit from it and InshaAllah everything will be better. The other advice that has been given by the other members are also very good, MashaAllah.

                          I would like to also advice you to always bear Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) in your thoughts and in your heart. Whenever you feel you are down or you feel anything goes wrong or something else, you should be turning to Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) and ask Him for help and protection.

                          I pray for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to protect you and to increase your emaan and to Enlighten your hours of your life with His Nūr, Ameen!

                          Take Care and Stay Blessed!
                          Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
                          Ukhti S.
                          Allah is my Support, the Qur'an and Sunnah is my Guide and Paradise is my Goal!

                          You are the servant, He is the Master.
                          Prayers come from you, answers come from Him.
                          Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him.
                          Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him.
                          Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                            Originally posted by mr_-nice_-guy View Post
                            mite be jinns messing about with u bro.. i say get yourself checked out by some aalim, theres a few in desbury who cure jinns
                            I really don't want to think along those lines seriously

                            Originally posted by Ukhti S. View Post
                            Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

                            As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

                            There are a few more things that I would like to bring up which I for a little while ago read.
                            I would like you to ask yourself (you don't have to answer them here, but answer yourself) what is it that you are doing daily?
                            As Muslims it is obligatory upon us to pray 5 times daily but apart from that there are many other things we should do, many things we should keep a distance from.
                            Have a while for yourself and figure out what you are doing that is going against the Will of Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa). Is it a haram action you're doing? Are you watching a movie? Is it some book you're reading? What are you watching on TV? Do you swear alot? What about your thoughts?
                            As Muslims we must always shut our mouth, our ears and our eyes from sinful things. Think if you have incurred something that Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) does not approve of.

                            With all due to respect, I am not accusing you for anything but I am rather just giving you some "hints" for yourself to figure out what it is that causes your nightmares and sleeptalking. Also, the quotation I made in my previous reply is really good. InshaAllah, you'll benefit from it and InshaAllah everything will be better. The other advice that has been given by the other members are also very good, MashaAllah.

                            I would like to also advice you to always bear Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) in your thoughts and in your heart. Whenever you feel you are down or you feel anything goes wrong or something else, you should be turning to Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) and ask Him for help and protection.

                            I pray for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to protect you and to increase your emaan and to Enlighten your hours of your life with His Nūr, Ameen!

                            Take Care and Stay Blessed!
                            Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
                            Ukhti S.
                            Thanks sis I thought of this myself too as the first thing but it didn't explain the fact that I've been like this since I was a kid. After talking to my parents this morning I think what explains it well is that I've always kept my thoughts to myself and liked to do/fix everything myself no matter how impossible it is without letting anyone know and so when I sleep it's the only time I don't have any control and experience what I am probably really feeling but for some reason don't feel when I'm fully conscious. *Sigh* it's probably never gonna go away.
                            "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
                            Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Nightmares and Sleeptalking

                              i think it's due to stress, depression, some things that have been bothering you and you keep thinking about it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X