Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how does one become detached from this world?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does one become detached from this world?

:salams

How does one detach himself from this world?

Is it by abstaining from pleasures? Is it by increasing 'ibaada? or both?

Is it possible to detach your heart COMPLETELY from worldy desires that you really enjoy?

:wswrwb:

Re: how does one become detached from this world?

Originally posted by Youngsoul View Post

Is it possible to detach your heart COMPLETELY from worldy desires that you really enjoy?

In short: that is just not a good or healthy idea; we're supposed to follow the middle path.
    "Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"
    Whosoever desires peace prepares for war; no one provokes, nor dares to offend, those who they know to be superior in battle-Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Comment

constantly think about your death and the punishment of the grave and the fact that no matter how much we scream no one will help us.
      glass half empty

Comment

Reflect on how insignificant it is in the sight of Allah, 'azza wa jall. It does not even have the worth of the wing of a mosquito (mentioned in a hadith I think).

Reflect on how short our time here is, in comparison to the aakhirah. It is like a drop compared to an ocean, or a grain of sand compared to a desert. Even that falls short, as the Hereafter is for eternity, forever and ever, something we can't truly comprehend.

أَخْبَرَنَا ‏ ‏الْحُسَيْنُ بْنُ حُرَيْثٍ ‏ ‏قَالَ أَنْبَأَنَا ‏ ‏الْفَضْلُ بْنُ مُوسَى ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو ‏ ‏ح ‏ ‏و أَخْبَرَنَا ‏ ‏مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ الْمُبَارَكِ ‏ ‏قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا ‏ ‏يَزِيدُ ‏ ‏قَالَ أَنْبَأَنَا ‏ ‏مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏أَبِي سَلَمَةَ ‏ ‏عَنْ ‏ ‏أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ ‏ ‏قَالَ ‏
        قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ‏ ‏صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ ‏ ‏ أَكْثِرُوا ذِكْرَ ‏ ‏ هَاذِمِ اللَّذَّاتِ ‏

The Messenger of Allah :saw: said, "Increase abundantly the remembrance of the destroyer of pleasure. [1]"

(Sunan al-Nasa'i)

[1] i.e. death.
        "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
        (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

Originally posted by the_middle_road View Post

Reflect on how insignificant it is in the sight of Allah, 'azza wa jall. It does not even have the worth of the wing of a mosquito (mentioned in a hadith I think).
          “If this world was worth a mosquito’s wing in the sight of Allaah, He would not have given a disbeliever a single gulp of water.” [Al-Tirmidhi]
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            “If this world was worth a mosquito’s wing in the sight of Allaah, He would not have given a disbeliever a single gulp of water.” [Al-Tirmidhi]
            :jkk:
            "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
            (al-Baqarah: 143)

Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

Comment

I'm paraphrasing here so Allah forgive me for any mistakes:

Once a woman came upto Prophet Nuh (AS) complaining that her son had died at a very young age. Nuh (AS) asked her how old her son was and she replied "300". Back then people used to live in the hundreds and hundreds so 300 years was considered a very early age to have left the world.

Nuh (AS) told the grieving mother that there will one day come a nation, an ummah whose life span will be circa 60-70 years.

Shocked at hearing this the mother replied "By Allah if I knew that were the case I would spend my entire life in sujood"

So ya YoungSoul, know that this Dunya is nothing and transient and the real life is that of the hereafter so work towards it and strive for it with everything you have.

This hadeeth encapsulates everything about this fleeting dunya:

"Oh Allah. There is no life except the life of the hereafter" (Muslim)

AQ
              What can my enemies possibly do to me? My paradise is in my heart; wherever I go it goes with me, inseparable from me. For me, prison is a place of retreat; execution is my opportunity for martyrdom; and exile from my town is but a chance to travel - Ibn Taymiyyah

Comment

Originally posted by AbuQudamah View Post
                I'm paraphrasing here so Allah forgive me for any mistakes:

Once a woman came upto Prophet Nuh (AS) complaining that her son had died at a very young age. Nuh (AS) asked her how old her son was and she replied "300". Back then people used to live in the hundreds and hundreds so 300 years was considered a very early age to have left the world.

Nuh (AS) told the grieving mother that there will one day come a nation, an ummah whose life span will be circa 60-70 years.

Shocked at hearing this the mother replied "By Allah if I knew that were the case I would spend my entire life in sujood"

So ya YoungSoul, know that this Dunya is nothing and transient and the real life is that of the hereafter so work towards it and strive for it with everything you have.

This hadeeth encapsulates everything about this fleeting dunya:

"Oh Allah. There is no life except the life of the hereafter" (Muslim)

AQ
                thought provoking, very nice. JazakAllah Khair
                glass half empty

Comment

Originally posted by Youngsoul View Post

selling their iphone will help for a start

Comment

kitab ul zuhd, by Abdullah Ibn Mubarak. One of the best books from what i hear.
                    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

your allowed to love thing in this world, as long as you love Allah and hi messenger(s.a.w.) more.

so i can lve this dunya 49% and love Allah 51% or love dunya 1% and Allah 99%, i dont know if they are equal, but its permissable, to the best of my understanding.
                      And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allâh) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness. (25:63)

O You who believe! Shall I guide you to a trade that will save you from a painful torment? (10) That you believe in Allâh and His Messenger (Muhammad SAW),and that you strive hard and fight in the Cause of Allâh with your wealth and your lives, that will be better for you, if you but know! (11) (If you do so) He will forgive you your sins, and admit you into Gardens under which rivers flow, and pleasant dwellings in Adn (Edn) Paradise; that is indeed the great success. (12)

JazakAllah khair for the duas but i would prefer duas for shahadah instead.

sponsor an orphan

Comment

What is the dunya?
                        http://kondori.wordpress.com/

Like this page on FB
                        HasbunAllah Wani'mal Wakeel | حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل

Allah is Sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer of affairs.

"...its better to light a small candle than to curse the darkness..."

"We need to emphasise that differences of fiqh are the not the depth of religion, the depth of religion is piety." ~
                        Shaykh Akram Nadwi

Salātullāhi wa Salāmuhu ‘alayka ya Rasūlallāh

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lj...2vbxo1_500.jpg

Comment

Try your best to avoid haram pleasures, live life in this world halal, too much of everything (including good halal things) is not good also. Some sufis were criticized for their extreme asceticism avoiding the worldly pleasures completely when Prophet SAW would enjoy drinking cold water, eating meat etc. You can read this in Ibn Jawzi's Tablis Iblees. Remember the hadith when Abdullah Ibn Umar RA said that he didn't want to sleep but to pray tahajjud constantly, fast continuously, hearing this, Prophet SAW said, his body has a right over him, he was a prophet of God, but he slept, he ate, he drank and he got married.

Another thing, it's about balance, hasanah fid dunya wal hasanah fil aakhirah. Rabbana atina fid dunya hasanah, wa fil akhirati hasanah.
                          Last edited by Supernova Nebula; 25-05-10, 10:03 AM.

Comment

You can enjoy what's offered while living in this world by not neglecting your duties as a Muslim, not neglecting your Creator, to also strive for the after life.

You are too attached to this world when you forget your akhirah, you neglect your Creator.

Comment

Bismillahi Ar Rahmani Ar Rahim - In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious and the Most Merciful

As Salamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu!

I hope you and all the other Dear Sisters and Brothers in Islam are doing great! May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to grant you all with the best of health and strong emaan, Ameen!

I pray for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) to guide us all and strengthen us and keep us away from all that leads us astray from practising the deen fully, Ameen!

MashaAllah, there are some great replies here and the question itself is also very good, MashaAllah!
                              I would like to also share a few points and hopefully, InshaAllah, they will be beneficial for all of us.

First of all, a little reminder for us all is that we are created in a world of trials and tests, and Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) is watching us to see how we will do and what we will do in all kinds of matters.
                              This life is both like an exam and preparation for the next life. The Qur'an and the Sunnah of the Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Salam) is our guidance, it is like our "preparation" if a test comes. The "tests" or "exams" in this life are hardships we face. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) wants to test us how we deal with such situations. A person who have Taqwa (meaning conciousness for Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) knows that "ease come after every hardship" [The Qur'an; Chapter 94 (Ash Sharh - The Opening Forth) : Verse 5] and that we should put our trust in Him and don't get depressed or angry etc, and such person knows also that this life is nothing compared to the next life. Everything in this life is temporary.

Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) has Made Paradise for the believers, who prefers Allah's (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) pleasure over their own and prefers obedience to Him over their physical comfort. Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) Has Made Hell the abode of those among His slaves who disobey Him and prefers their own whims and desires to the pleasure of their Lord.
                              As humanbeings, we have been given great freedom, freedom of choice. We have free choices in this life and each individual is accountable of his/her deeds.

Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) mentions in the Noble Qur'an that "the life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception" [The Qur'an; Chapter 3 (Al Imran - The Family of Imran) : Verse 185].

A good point here is to compare and reflect upon the differences between this life and the life in the Hereafter, both Paradise and Hell. Think and learn and read. Read also about the punishments in the Grave for those who disobeyed their Lord and enjoyed this life more.

When you start to learn more about the differences, you'll also learn to not worry so much about this life and the hardships you face. You'll learn and realise each time that when someone afflects with a calamity or a hardship, the bad deeds expiate.

Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) tells us in the Noble Qur'an;
                              "So, whatever thing you have been given in this world it is but (for) enjoyment of the worldly life. But what is with Allah is better and more lasting for those who have believed and upon their Lord rely" [The Qur'an; Chapter 42 (Ash Shuraa - Consultation) : Verse 36]

From the Noble verse above we can understand that everything in this life is nothing compared to next life (Paradise), and people in this life get hung up in these things in this life that when something gets wrong they tend to freak out and think that it is the end of the world. But no, it is not the end of the world. Everything in this life is nothing for us to enjoy in this life, but it is something for us to use for a higher purpose and the thing to enjoy is in the next life. Because this life is temporary, and Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) has told us in the Noble Qur'an, that what is with Him is better and more lasting. And it is "for those who have believed and upon their Lord rely".
                              Those who believe and trust in Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa), whether they gain or loose or something goes wrong it is not that big of a deal for them. You can easily say; Inna Lillahi Wa Inna Ilayhi Raji'oon - Without any doubt, we all are from Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) and to Him we shall return. Because everything belongs to Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa), nothing belongs to us.

May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) strengthen our emaan and so we don't get caught up on the worldly things, Ameen!

The Beloved Prophet Muhammad (Sallalahu Alayhi Wa Salam) said;
                              "This life in comparison to the life hereafter is nothing except like that which one of you finds if he sticks his finger into the ocean and then sees what it brings back with it." [Muslim]

Meaning that this life is a mere transition or place of passing and has no permanence or lasting meaning.

As for to conclude this I would like to say that I suggest you to make a comparison and really reflect between Paradise and Hell, and with this life.
                              A very good thing Supernova Nebula mentioned; you are too attached to this world when you forget your akhirah, you neglect your Creator.

And last but not least, I would like to make a quotation.
                              "Iman is like an airplane ride. The higher up you go, the smaller the things on Earth look."
                              - By Imam Safi Khan
                              May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) strengthen our emaan and increase our knowledge of the deen and protect us from all that leads us astray from practising the deen, Ameen!

Take Care and Stay Blessed all!
                              Wa Alaykumusalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,
                              Ukhti S.

----------------------
                              Anything good I have said is from Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa), but anything bad and wrong I have said is from myself and my misdeeds. May Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) forgive our sins and misdeeds and make us enabled to do more good deeds in order to please Him more, Ameen!

And remember; 'Amr bil Ma'ruf Wa Nahi anil Munkar! (Command the right and Forbid the evil!) - So, please Dear Sisters and Brothers - Correct me if I ever do a mistake or say something wrong! InshaAllah, Allah (Subhanahu Wa Ta'alaa) will reward us all with Barakah and Khair in our lives for our good intentions and striving towards spreading the light of Islam and correcting the mistakes of each other!
                              -----------------------
                              Allah is my Support, the Qur'an and Sunnah is my Guide and Paradise is my Goal!

You are the servant, He is the Master.
                              Prayers come from you, answers come from Him.
                              Abstinence comes from you, protection comes from Him.
                              Repentance comes from you, acceptance comes from Him.
                              Go towards him walking, He will come to you running.

Comment

Working...
                              X