Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese and Indian Kids over assessed by US teachers : study

Indian and Chinese students 'over assessed' by US teachers: Study

Washington, Apr. 4 (ANI): Teachers in the United States tend to unconsciously "over assess" Indian and Chinese students under the age of 11, while systematically mark down black children, a new study has found.
    Academics, who looked at the marks given to thousands of children at the age 11 in Sats (nationally set tests marked remotely) found that black pupils perform consistently better in external exams than in teacher assessment.
    They concluded that low expectations are damaging children's prospects.

"What is worrying is that if students do not feel that a teacher appreciates them or understands them, then they are not going to try so hard," The Observer quoted Simon Burgess, University of Bristol Professor and co-author of the report, as saying.
    The study also shows that white children from very poor neighbourhoods were under-assessed when compared with their better-off peers.

The survey comes in the wake of the National Union of Teachers' call to boycott the Sats test for 11-year-olds.
    They believe the external tests are distorting education and should be replaced by teachers' assessments.
    However, Burgess believes that the tests were the only opportunity some children had to "prove their teachers wrong".

"These findings suggest that going down the route of abolishing key stage tests at age 11 would be a bad idea," he said.
    Ed Balls, the secretary of state, seconded him, saying concerns about stereotyping were one reason he did not want to abolish the tests.
    "There are still schools, particularly in white, working-class communities, where the attitude is 'the children here don't do so well, we do the best with what we have got, aspirations aren't high'. That is unacceptable," he said.

But John Bangs, of the National Union of Teachers, said that if there was stereotyping it should be tackled by improving teacher training so teachers could better assess children themselves, not by retaining Sats.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/139/2010040...ver-ass_1.html
    Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
    deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Re: Chinese and Indian Kids over assessed by US teachers : study

bump

I

Comment

African Kids are as smart as Chinese or Indian or the euro-american kids.

I

Comment

SAT is a test used for college admissions and schoolchildren in the U.S. don't usually take it till junior or sophomore year in high school - certainly not at age 11. We don't have any tests called SATS.

Explain.
        Last edited by Grotbags; 13-11-12, 09:40 PM. Reason: foul language

Comment

Originally posted by n_n_n View Post
          SAT is a test used for college admissions and schoolchildren in the U.S. don't usually take it till junior or sophomore year in high school - certainly not at age 11. We don't have any tests called SATS.

Explain.
          I think the article writer got the US test name, and age given wrong; and then tried to apply some survey by a UK Professor about the US tests of 17 year olds, to concerns in the UK regarding testing of 11 years olds.

Just bad reporting by the newspaper reporter.
          I have no real problem with alternative theories, being postulated.

It is the preference for a reliance on alternative reality that worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Ami View Post
            I think the article writer got the US test name, and age given wrong; and then tried to apply some survey by a UK Professor about the US tests of 17 year olds, to concerns in the UK regarding testing of 11 years olds.

Just bad reporting by the newspaper reporter.
            My read on this was that this is a survey about UK and UK kids - they have a test called SATS that's offered at year 2, 6 and 9, so the timing fits. The US was never a part of the conversation.

The writer of the article was a dimwit and couldn't tell between UK and US. You know. Two countries. One language. Flats vs. apartments. Cookies vs. biscuits.

And then it got posted. You know. By someone who doesn't know any of this. As long as it fits the general paradigm of black kids getting mistreated, there's no need to get the facts right.

@Epicfail

Comment

My read on this was that this is a survey about UK and UK kids - they have a test called SATS that's offered at year 2, 6 and 9, so the timing fits. The US was never a part of the conversation.

The writer of the article was a dimwit and couldn't tell between UK and US. You know. Two countries. One language. Flats vs. apartments. Cookies vs. biscuits.

And then it got posted. You know. By someone who doesn't know any of this. As long as it fits the general paradigm of black kids getting mistreated, there's no need to get the facts right.

@Epicfail
              By gosh, you are right!
              I have no real problem with alternative theories, being postulated.

It is the preference for a reliance on alternative reality that worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
                Indian and Chinese students 'over assessed' by US teachers: Study

Washington, Apr. 4 (ANI): Teachers in the United States tend to unconsciously "over assess" Indian and Chinese students under the age of 11, while systematically mark down black children, a new study has found.
                Academics, who looked at the marks given to thousands of children at the age 11 in Sats (nationally set tests marked remotely) found that black pupils perform consistently better in external exams than in teacher assessment.
                There is no test called SATS administered in the United States.

There is no "nationally administered" test given to U.S. schoolchildren at age 11.

The U.S., when it DOES administer tests and collect results - which are NOT given at age 11 and NOT called SATS -does not break down results for Chinese students separately. There is only one general category for "Asian."

There IS, however, a test called SATS administered, among others, at age 11 - in the UNITED KINGDOM. Which is a completely different country from the U.S.

Let us review, once again. There is no test called SATS administered to the U.S. schoolchildren at age 11. The writer of this article is either a) lying, or b) dumb.

Comment

The writer of this article is either a) lying, or b) dumb.
                  lulz, they can't be both?

Comment

Originally posted by ssh View Post
                    lulz, they can't be both?
                    Possible! Anyone who lies about something so basic that any U.S. parent with school-age children knows it without trying probably won't be breaking any Mensa records.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X