Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeling guilty-any advice?

Aslamaulikum people,

I haven't posted in a log time so forgive me for just jumping in and starting a thread.

I've been noisy over in the annoymous section and came across one post which discusses how one cannot work for governments (I think the OP mentioned working for non-Muslim governments). I am now feeling extremely guilty and panicky as I work for the government and now feel I should be out there looking for alternative employment. I've just sent my CV to an independent company because I can relate to a few points in the OPs thread. I plan to Inshallah change jobs asap and get out of there quickly and repent for working for them. I didn't realise that working in such places was deemed so bad. Just shows, I should of checked everything beforehand.

Has anyone else ever worked for a government and left and moved onto a Mashallah successful career independently (e.g. working for themselves?). I cannot financially afford to leave the job asap or else I would-will working for them effect my rizq/barakah?

Any advice and support welcome.

Sister P.

Re: I'm feeling guilty-any advice?

Originally posted by Princess1983 View Post
    Aslamaulikum people,

I haven't posted in a log time so forgive me for just jumping in and starting a thread.

I've been noisy over in the annoymous section and came across one post which discusses how one cannot work for governments (I think the OP mentioned working for non-Muslim governments). I am now feeling extremely guilty and panicky as I work for the government and now feel I should be out there looking for alternative employment. I've just sent my CV to an independent company because I can relate to a few points in the OPs thread. I plan to Inshallah change jobs asap and get out of there quickly and repent for working for them. I didn't realise that working in such places was deemed so bad. Just shows, I should of checked everything beforehand.

Has anyone else ever worked for a government and left and moved onto a Mashallah successful career independently (e.g. working for themselves?). I cannot financially afford to leave the job asap or else I would-will working for them effect my rizq/barakah?

Any advice and support welcome.

Sister P.
    It depends on what you do rather then being haram in general terms to work for "the goverment".

Comment

Our department works at three things mainly:

> getting the 'minorities' to access services e.g. ESOL, local playgroups etc
      > supporting single teenage mums
      >doing consultancy work with parents (which can be fathers too)

Comment

Originally posted by Princess1983 View Post
        Our department works at three things mainly:

> getting the 'minorities' to access services e.g. ESOL, local playgroups etc
        > supporting single teenage mums
        >doing consultancy work with parents (which can be fathers too)
        are u sure its haram sis, that doesn't sound like its haraam because ur not supporting the gov in nething bad, its a positive service
        like teachers r also technically employed by the government
        i can see hw being MP or something like that may not b allowed but it sounds like u work for a childrens centre or something on those lines, from wat u said?
        i wd check it with someone knowledgeable b4 u just leave the job because it may well b permissible and fine?
        <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

yeah i agree with the above posts. Your occupation seems ok. If your referring to paying tax as supporting the government, you'll do that in any job and if you dont, that is illegal, in which case you are not following the law of the land as is recommened by islam.
          ...and InshAllah i remind myself before i remind others.

ASPIRE to INSPIRE before you EXPIRE!

Is your Boss coming?...Click here :D

Comment

you got the perfect job, your helping less fortunate people.
            From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

Comment

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm not 100% sure if the job is haraam or not, that's the issue. For a while now I have been thinking about my job and if it does do as much good as I thought it would. We work on campaigns and policy making for the departments that work with children on the front line and often organise events where we meet parents do consultancy work etc etc. My second half of my job is supporting single young mums.

The thread I read was this one:
              http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...n-someone-help

If I'm brutally honest, I do think I got the job as they felt having a Muslimah as part of the team would encourage Muslims to engage with the system, which isn't really happening. Although I am part of a team that makes the policies etc, I don't really have a voice that is listened too. They wanted to make friends with the local Masjid, and as they do not have a female rep I mentioned it maybe benefical for us to invite a Masjid rep to our offices rather than going to the Masjid, however they didn't listen and it ended up causing friction between the team and the Masjid (as we went time at the time of Jamat-again noone listened). Plus there is always talk of 'getting women out of their homes' and accessing services. I know that one of the most important jobs is to be a good wife, and well of course a good mother. How can a team who write the rules know what is best for someone who they do not even know? There is now talk of having an outreach team that will visit women in their homes to encourage them to do ESOL etc.

If a couple decide that they wish for the wife to stay at home, Mashallah that's a decision they take. What is now worrying me is the amount of issues I may potentially cause sisters by visiting them, or calling them, or generally trying to access them and get them to do ESOL etc. I believe that noone has the right to tell people what to do, you can encourage by all means, as long as it is halal.

As for consultancy work-this often results in working with men. Is this okay? I have a feeling it is not?

Supporting single mums-it's more often than not unmarried girls, who are not Muslimah however if I do not believe this is right because of my religion am I not being a hypacrite (spelling)? Isn't this frowned upon is Islam?

I know my post is quite long, however as this is my job, I do feel quite strongly about finding out if this job is okay.

Before anyone asks, the job was advertised as working with the policy team to deliver a better service to residents of the area.

Comment

you can't force people to do something they don't want, and thats about it. if they say no, thats the end of it. As with working with men, if you maintain self respect and a working relationship then whats wrong.
                From brother Pearl44uk.

Allah Hu Akbar

Comment

Asalamu alikum sister.

You raise some valid points. If you could find a job where you feel 100% comfortable with the working environment then that would be great! If you do decide to leave your current job with that intention, then I pray to Allah swt* that he makes you successful.

I feel that many sisters would take that option if they could *smile*

However, you also have to be realistic. If you work in the public sector then the chances are that the majority of the time, you will be able to identify a few aspect of your job that either link you to working for the government, towards government policies /legislation or working with male colleagues/ bosses etc.

Failing finding a job where you feel 100% content, I think you then have to focus on how you can best approach/ deal with the situations you mentioned above [working with male colleagues etc]. Personally i feel that these situations are unavoidable in any work that you undertake so be careful that you do not put yourself in a position where you scrutinise to the point of leaving yourself jobless!
                  Last edited by ღ♥JuSt*bLuShInGღ♥; 21-03-10, 02:06 PM. Reason: Edited
                  j u s t B ...y o u r s e l f.

Comment

It doesn't seem whethere there is anything outrightly haraam in your job. As far as efforts go, you can put your best efforts in the job and you should not worry if something doesn't yield.

If you are uncomfortable, you can explore other jobs while continuing the present one. You should do istikhara before making a decision to leave your current job or joining a new one.
                    [103:003] Except those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and recommend one another to the truth, and recommend one another to patience

My blog link: [url]http://beliefinunseen.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X