gardenia jasminoides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gardenia jasminoides

Any of you green finger lot can help me?

Basically my gardenia jasminoides were white but the petals are going yellow ish and look like they arent too happy. they are quite near the radiator, but i water them every 2 days. any tips, also any tips on getting the rest of the buds to start flowering?

do i need to let in sufficient sunlight a lot? cas they only get a few hours of light cas i close the curtains cas i need a dark environment for some of my equipment to work properly.

Re: gardenia jasminoides

I dont even know what gardenia jasminoides is ?
    There is no such thing as an Israel,
    It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...sminoides.html

try and find ur username in there lol
      There is no such thing as an Israel,
      It is occupied-palestine

Should the Jews have been given a homeland?

YES...........in germany,

the world should have given the jews germany as payment for the holocaust

Comment

wow it can survive in the UK, we used to have it at home. I thought it's a tropical type.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix CG View Post
          Any of you green finger lot can help me?

Basically my gardenia jasminoides were white but the petals are going yellow ish and look like they arent too happy. they are quite near the radiator, but i water them every 2 days. any tips, also any tips on getting the rest of the buds to start flowering?

do i need to let in sufficient sunlight a lot? cas they only get a few hours of light cas i close the curtains cas i need a dark environment for some of my equipment to work properly.
          What kind of soil are they in, and do you feed them regularly? - These plants prefer acidic soil (which you can test with a pH meter) and require a regular feed during the growing season (which is now) this site suggests a feed every two weeks, but that sounds like a bit much to me, perhaps feed it every 3 weeks?

The recommended types of fertilizer are:

A good time to feed gardenias is mid-March, using an acid plant food, fish emulsion or blood meal.
          Source

Basically something that will help to create/maintain the acidic soil type.

How long have they been in bloom for, and how long have you had the plant? If for a while, is it normal for the flowers to drop off at this point? When you water them, does the soil look dry or do you just do it out of habit? Before you water do a quick soil test - scratch down an inch or so into the soil and check whether it is still moist down there, if not then water, if it is then delay the watering.

Regarding the colour of the flowers, do you think that they're dying or is it just that they are another colour but still healthy?:

Young flowers are generaly pure white and often turn yellow-cream when older.
          Source

As for the lighting, where is it kept - on a windowsill or near one? Try increasing the amount of hours that it gets sunlight and see if this helps at all, but don't stick it in direct sunlight.

Check the leaf tops+undersides to see whether there could be any sort of pest or disease present.

What kind of pot do you have it in? A clay pot is recommended, however if the seller didn't intend for it to be potted on this might not be the problem. I'm wondering about the pot size and whether the plant could be rootbound (which looks like this) as it is in too small a pot, but only check this as a last resort.

After it has finished flowering (after the whole season) prune it while it is dormant (around late autumn/winter) and this'll help it bloom better the following year inSha'Allah.

According to this website the plant has very exact needs:

Gardenia requirements are very exact, and to insure your plants continued bloom, these needs must be met.
          Full sun, with some shading in the summer (in the hottest areas)
          An acid soil with a pH between 5 and 6
          Keep the soil moist, but never soggy
          Humidity, or daily misting
          Heavy feeding
          **Cool night temperatures**
          I think thats a bit paranoid, but it is a good thing to keep in mind in case one technique fails e.g. feeding doesn't make a difference, then you can try increasing the humidity etc. try to imitate the natural habitat of the plant.

Hope that helps, but follow all the tips with caution and if you see the plant getting worse then stop whatever it was that you were doing. There are many things you could try listed on here, but make sure you take note of any changes.

You can go to your nearest garden centre and if the plant is portable you could take it with you, and ask them about it there.
          Last edited by Hiking; 20-03-10, 12:17 PM.
          It is narrated on the authority of Jabir that he heard the (Holy Prophet)[:saw:] say: A Muslim is he from whose hand and tongue the Muslims are safe.
          -Muslim

Comment

Working...
          X