Going shopping without a dominant person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Going shopping without a dominant person

In any situation always try to put yourself in the other person's shoes. Imagine being a salesperson and getting cut off every time you tried to sell someone something. It's hard for them especially if they're working on commission. The least you could do is listen to them and then say something like "I'm behind on my rent" or "no thank you". They'll be happy knowing they tried their best.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianlady View Post
      I don't know. I haven't tried it. Maybe I should try. :)

If I take a dominant (I guess better word is assertive) person with me, then maybe! :)

It hasn't been all that long ago!

Peace and God bless.
      Yeah, go for it as soon as possible. Just make sure to take any receipts, original boxes/packaging, etc.
      The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said: I guarantee a house in the surroundings of Paradise for a man who avoids quarreling even if he were in the right, a house in the middle of Paradise for a man who avoids lying even if he were joking, and a house in the upper part of Paradise for a man who made his character good. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 41, Number 4782)

Comment

Hello Islam4u2,

I have no idea how to use a gun... some of my friends have offered to teach me, but i've never been interested. Also, you can't carry a gun on your person unless you have a license to do so, like if you're a cop. If you do, prepare to get arrested, make a run for it, or get shot by someone who is licensed (like a cop.)

Lol, you like to tell everyone to get married, hmm? :)

But, how would that help me to be more firm and say no to salespeople? :(

Peace and God bless you.
        Your husband can teach you how to be more firm. I take the approach that money is a blessing and a gift from Allah (swt) so I do not spend a single penny on items which are un-necessary or excessively luxurious. This helps me control my spending and knowing when to say "No." When you take that approach you won't be duped by sales people as you will know that the poor people have some right for your generosity. In Islam it is the right of poor people to get 2.5% zakat, but if I watch what I spend I can give extra as Sadaqah to a worthy cause inshallah. So think of what you extra un-necessary things you bought and spent and how that could have helped the people in Hati (since you made a thread about that recently). I hope that gives you some focus and control next time inshallah.
        Last edited by islam4u2; 04-03-10, 12:02 AM. Reason: inshallah

Comment

Hi X--x and Guy,

Thanks. The only problem is I was buying something (my cell phone broke so I had to buy another one) and the salesperson loaded me up with all these fancy accessories that I didn't need or asked for, and then she started ringing me up. I told her, oh I dont' need 2 packs of screensavers, but she said oh it's buy one get one free, so I said ok. (I didn't ask for screensavers, never bought any before, but maybe that's why my old cell broke? Also, she put there these pretty pick earphones which are really pretty and match my new cell, but I didn't need them, and this pretty overcase? which also matches which I also didn't ask for, and all these things that I didn't ask for, but she said and you need this and that, but really I didn't need it. When I told my best friend, she was like, you should have told them you didn't want any of that. :(

I am so mad at myself!!! :( I wish a dominant person had been there with me to say thanks but no thanks. :(

Lol Res Novae :) That's a great idea if I'm not already buying something. :)
          That is quite bad, don't let yourself become a pushover you need to start voicing yourself and telling these people to bugger off.

You should have said I want my cell phone and that is it I don't want anything extra I'm in a rush so please hurry up and stop wasting my time or I won't even be buying the phone never mind anything else that would have shut her up.

Comment

go and take the accessories stuff back
            if you havent taken it out of the packing and you have the receipt they wouldnt be allowed to refuse they have 2 give ur refund..
            if u have taken it out the packets or anything then just put it on ebay as brand new but without the packaging, u can still make most ur money back insha Allah
            then just learn ur lesson for next time
            .: Rufaida :.
            .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
            http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
            “People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
            but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.”
            ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

awwwww u remind me of my friend from work. she always gets pressured into buying stuff and doing stuff. You have to stop and think for a moment, do i really need this? if the answer is no, then you have be straight up, act fast and say firmly, no thank you, im not interested in that at the moment. sales people are people you see only once or once in while if you shop regularly, so its not like you need to make a good impression. dont let them finish their pitch for to tell them ur not interested, state that early on.
              Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Hello Sweettooth,

Yes, you are right. The saleslady wasn't being mean or anything. She was just doing her job. I am not mad at her. I'm mad at myself that I didn't say no thanks, I just need the phone. I think maybe I was too embarrassed for some reason to say no. :( But, it definitely is not her fault, cause she didn't force me. I could have said no at any time. I was embarrassed already about my old cell being broken though. (I had my cell in my pocket when I went wading in a cold creek with a fiend... completely forgot about it. It was fun, but yeah I was bummed out when I realized my phone drowned. :( )

Anyways, I am embarrased at the thought of going back and trying to return the accessories to the new one. Is that pride, that makes me embarrassed? :( I hope not.

Islam4u2, yes, you are right. It's important to manage finances in a way that glorifies God and in order to have money to help others with. I should have prayed and asked God for wisdom, but I didn't. Yes, it is a lesson learned. Hopefully I wont make a mistake like this again.

RockyBalboa, lol :) What would the headline for that be? "Christianlady punches Saleslady for Selling her Accessories!"

Horribly hypocritical innit?

Gucci, Anna, and IDK,

Peace and God bless.
                Last edited by Christianlady; 04-03-10, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X