Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

    I just watched this show on National Geographics called
    Taboo it's a show that touches on Taboo things in society
    and culture like Leprosy in India, Prostitution, Societal outcast etc...

    One of the Taboo topics tonight was Freeganism
    Freeganism is basically a lifestyle
    of not wasting anything and only consuming and using
    whats been wasted....Including food *:vomit: * the thought is
    endearing not being wasteful and striving to live resourcefully
    in a wasteful society but these people take it to the extreme...lots only
    stock they're fridges full of food that has been scavenged directly from the
    dumpsters *So Sick* I just don't agree with this how could you feed your
    children food that's been taken out of a dumpster? and these people are not poor!! most of them are actually middle class or very rich anywayz check out the link I think it's really gross and interesting (not all freegans eat from dumpsters but a lot of them do!)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegan..._urban_gardens

    Would you stock your fridge full
    of dumpster food? like seriously are you
    that brave to eat a meal consisting
    of nothing but scavenged food from the dumpsters
    and trashbins of American streets?





  • #2
    Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

    Originally posted by Deen commited View Post
    I just watched this show on National Geographics called
    Taboo it's a show that touches on Taboo things in society
    and culture like Leprosy in India, Prostitution, Societal outcast etc...

    One of the Taboo topics tonight was Freeganism
    Freeganism is basically a lifestyle
    of not wasting anything and only consuming and using
    whats been wasted....Including food *:vomit: * the thought is
    endearing not being wasteful and striving to live resourcefully
    in a wasteful society but these people take it to the extreme...lots only
    stock they're fridges full of food that has been scavenged directly from the
    dumpsters *So Sick* I just don't agree with this how could you feed your
    children food that's been taken out of a dumpster? and these people are not poor!! most of them are actually middle class or very rich anywayz check out the link I think it's really gross and interesting (not all freegans eat from dumpsters but a lot of them do!)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegan..._urban_gardens

    Would you stock your fridge full
    of dumpster food? like seriously are you
    that brave to eat a meal consisting
    of nothing but scavenged food from the dumpsters
    and trashbins of American streets?
    I watched a program similar to that. I saw them retrieve food from the dumpsters, but the food was packaged away in bags like bread and veggies.

    Does the idea kinda gross me out? Yes, but watching a program like that does open your eyes to the wastefulness of societies. We have endless amounts of people starving and people just chuck out food that is perfectly fine and well in date.

    I am guessing with your veggies that you retrieve, you could wash them and then boil them for any chance of bacteria, but you are losing the nutrients by boiling them..so I don't know..that series Taboo is crazy. I can't even watch some of them episodes!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

      I agree with some of the idealism behind *Freeganism* but where I from we call it being a Bum (who knew bums where so progressive?) a lot these kids are urban hipsters raised in the suburbs who think being a leach is a way to fight the man wouldn't it make perfectly good sense to buy the food and eat it before it hits the dumpster? ta da no waste!! or Ecoli! and squatting in apartment buildings just to be Anti-Capitalistic when you probably have enough money to buy the building is just stupid and wrong

      Basically Freeganism is saying
      I'm so cool I can be a Hobo
      Last edited by Deen commited; 18-01-10, 07:54 AM.




      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

        Originally posted by Deen commited View Post
        I agree with some of the idealism behind *Freeganism* but where I from we call it being a Bum (who knew bums where so progressive?) a lot these kids are urban hipsters raised in the suburbs who think being a leach is a way to fight the man wouldn't it make perfectly good sense to buy the food and eat it before it hits the dumpster? ta da no waste!! or Ecoli! and squatting in apartment buildings just to be Anti-Capitalistic when you probably have enough money to buy the building is just stupid and wrong

        Basically Freeganism is saying
        I'm so cool I can be a Hobo
        LOL I can see where you came to that conclusion :-P The program I watched had the same people you described. One was a professor...

        Comment


        • #5
          .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
          نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
          دولة الإسلامية باقية





          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

            I respect the concept but the implementation leaves a lot to be desired
            Squatting in empty apartments buildings and eating out of Dumpsters
            when you don't have to is pathetic it's other ways to be waste free
            and resourceful than being a Hip Hobo

            PS, Even if the food is not rotten and opened
            it's still a dumpster which is a receptacle of disease
            what about all the other stuff that gets thrown in they're
            like Used Condoms, Dog Poop, etc...unless the restaurant does
            a really good job of making sure only food is placed in the dumpster which
            lots of places don't...

            unless you are a dumpster snob and only scavenge from(The Finest waste recepticales )




            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

              Humanure composting and sawdust toilets

              As part of the anti-consumerist lifestyle, many freegans practice what is known as collecting and composting human manure, referred to as “humanure.” The underlying purpose in this practice is to conserve resources such as electricity and water while furthering an environmentally conscious lifestyle. Rather than setting up plumbing, sewage, and water systems in bathrooms, humanure toilet proponents use simple materials (a few plywood boards, a couple of hinges and screws, and organic material such as sawdust) to create toilet look-alikes that function with much less energy consumption. Humanure composting requires three basic components – a toilet receptacle, organic cover material, and an outdoor composting bin.


              Interesting idea though.
              "And thus have We willed you to be a community of the middle way."
              (al-Baqarah: 143)

              Allahumma innaa na'udhu bika min an nushrika bika shai-an na'lamuh; wa nastaghfiruka limaa laa na'lam.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

                It's totally wrong the way food gets thrown away!!!!!!!! Rather than the food going into bins in the first place, restaurants etc should give them to homeless charities/soup kitchens etc (some do, most don't) if it's something they can't sell. However this is "anti capitalism" and greatly frowned upon, considered to undermine the markets....... like when Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher banned dairies from giving surplus milk to nursery and primary schools for the children and ordered them to pour it down the drains instead. That was done because giving away free surplus food "undermines the market" - she said schools should buy the milk, but she'd also cut the education budget so much that schools coudln't afford to buy the milk and so they stopped giving kids milk at playtime....... and all that milk went down the drain too......

                I don't agree with getting food out of bins, cause of the risk of food poisoning, they can get contaminated easily from other things in the same bin. HOWEVER I think that food should not get there in the first place, in a decent, humane society, surplus food that is still fit to eat, and food that can't be sold for whatever reason but is still fit to eat should be given to the very poor!!! And if there are no poor people to give it to, give it to anyone who will use it up.
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

                [SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

                  Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                  It's totally wrong the way food gets thrown away!!!!!!!! Rather than the food going into bins in the first place, restaurants etc should give them to homeless charities/soup kitchens etc (some do, most don't) if it's something they can't sell. However this is "anti capitalism" and greatly frowned upon, considered to undermine the markets....... like when Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher banned dairies from giving surplus milk to nursery and primary schools for the children and ordered them to pour it down the drains instead. That was done because giving away free surplus food "undermines the market" - she said schools should buy the milk, but she'd also cut the education budget so much that schools coudln't afford to buy the milk and so they stopped giving kids milk at playtime....... and all that milk went down the drain too......

                  I don't agree with getting food out of bins, cause of the risk of food poisoning, they can get contaminated easily from other things in the same bin. HOWEVER I think that food should not get there in the first place, in a decent, humane society, surplus food that is still fit to eat, and food that can't be sold for whatever reason but is still fit to eat should be given to the very poor!!! And if there are no poor people to give it to, give it to anyone who will use it up.
                  Unfortunately, some businesses rather toss out the food and lock the trash bins than give it away to shelters :( They won't even let employees take it home..no freebies allowed. My dad works in a grocery and you would be shocked at how much meat, fish, and cheese they throw away. Certain companies will come to the store and take the almost out of date meat and swap it out rather than you chucking it

                  I do know shelters accept leftovers because they try to be creative with the products. The only thing they said they don't really take is home-made canned products.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Freeganism/dining on dumpster meat

                    This is the best forum site that talks about dumpster ottawa...I love this forum site.

                    Comment

                    Collapse

                    Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                    Working...
                    X