Kissing among Muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kissing among Muslims

I just saw Pres. Arafat and some other politician kiss each other on TV. Both were men, but they fondled really long. Or greeted I don't know. The kissing was on cheeks, both sides.

I've seen this practice mainly in some Eastern European countries, but I do not know how common it is among Muslims.

Do Muslim men and women kiss each other? Or is it only men? Women, if they wear hijabs, must find it well nigh impossible to kiss each other.

These are stupid questions in your mind, I'm sure, but people are different and habits are different in different parts of the world. For instance I would never think of kissing another man!

If you can give any links about these customs, that would be welcome, too.
    Please Re-update your Signature

I dont know about every1 but sometimes when we go 2 the womens halaqa at the mosque n say assalaamu alaykum 2 each other we kiss each other on the cheeks. it is not "gay" or anything like that... :D & no its not impossible 2 do that with hijaab on. why wud it be?
    anyway...inshallah someone will get u some proper info on it
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Anna, sorry but these women's garments are not exactly my speciality, especially if the names are in Arabic. You probably meant by 'hijab' a simple scarf, not the full cover of the face. I mean the kind that women wore in Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Justcurious
        Anna, sorry but these women's garments are not exactly my speciality, especially if the names are in Arabic. You probably meant by 'hijab' a simple scarf, not the full cover of the face. I mean the kind that women wore in Afghanistan.
        yeah most ppl @ my mosque wear a scarf & loose clothes. i dunno if u can greet ppl w/ a kiss on the cheek in niqaab n everything but i reckon u cud
        <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Actually the practice is common in all the non-Western world. Eastern Europe, the fmr U.S.S.R., the Orient, the Muslim world, the Latino world(not sure bout black Africa), men kiss eachother on the cheeks as a greeting to eachother. Western Europe and North America are the only area of civilization where its not common really(well except for Spain and Italy, they do it there, perhaps France too, but i know they dont do it in the UK, Ireland, Scandinavian countries, U.S.A., Canada etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by alifromconroe
            Actually the practice is common in all the non-Western world. Eastern Europe, the fmr U.S.S.R., the Orient, the Muslim world, the Latino world(not sure bout black Africa), men kiss eachother on the cheeks as a greeting to eachother. Western Europe and North America are the only area of civilization where its not common really(well except for Spain and Italy, they do it there, perhaps France too, but i know they dont do it in the UK, Ireland, Scandinavian countries, U.S.A., Canada etc.).
            Traditionaly, it's not common in France actually, unless you're from the same family.
            For example when you say hello to our father you kiss him on his 2 cheeks, and do the same with your mother.
            But when you meet other people (even good and close friends) you shake the hands if it's a he, and kiss the cheeks if it's a she.
            But if it's a she and that you don't know her very well, you may rather shake her hands (if not it's a lack of respect).
            LOL it's a bit complicated!!
            By the way, when I say kiss the cheeks, it's not exactly that: in France you just touch the other's cheek with your cheek.

Has everyone understood the traditional French greetings? :D

Peace
            Guile

Comment

In Spain and Portugal women kiss women and men and women kiss each other (brush cheeks) in greeting. This latter is forbidden in Islam. Men should not even offer their hand to shake to a lady, nor should a lady accept a handshake. Nor touch each other or offer to touch each other. Except father/daughter, sister/brother, mother/son, grand father/granddaughter, etc. Men are too macho to kiss. They shake hands.

Comment

Originally posted by guile
                Traditionaly, it's not common in France actually, unless you're from the same family.
                For example when you say hello to our father you kiss him on his 2 cheeks, and do the same with your mother.
                But when you meet other people (even good and close friends) you shake the hands if it's a he, and kiss the cheeks if it's a she.
                But if it's a she and that you don't know her very well, you may rather shake her hands (if not it's a lack of respect).
                LOL it's a bit complicated!!
                By the way, when I say kiss the cheeks, it's not exactly that: in France you just touch the other's cheek with your cheek.

Has everyone understood the traditional French greetings? :D

Peace
                Guile
                our belgian exchange ppl all did the kissing on cheeks even w/ ppl they didnt really know or nething...like they went 2 the bus stop n did it 2 all the kids waitin 4 the school bus.
                but when i went w/ mine 2 places like the bowling n stuff, her friends who were boys even come up n like go 2 do it...i was like "umm....no" :o its fine 4 girls but boys is a bit 2 close

Comment

The Swiss go even further, kissing three times! One cheek, then the other, then back to the first.

Comment

Originally posted by fides
                    The Swiss go even further, kissing three times! One cheek, then the other, then back to the first.
                    i think thats what belgians do...either that or just on one side

Comment

Quile: "Has everyone understood the traditional French greetings?"

You must mean the French kiss, which I only heard about in England.

By the way, thanks to everybody for your comments.

Comment

Originally posted by fides
                        Oh yes I forgot that about France too:
                        In North France in general you kiss two times.
                        In South in general it's three times (like in Swiss it seems).
                        In Paris (one French out of 5 lives there) you kiss four times!
                        Acoording two different regions, you start with the left or the right cheek, but I never remember that part!

Peace
                        Guile

Comment

Originally posted by Justcurious
                          Quile: "Has everyone understood the traditional French greetings?"

You must mean the French kiss, which I only heard about in England.

By the way, thanks to everybody for your comments.
                          Oh no! LOL
                          French kiss is another thing: it's kissing on the mouth with touching each other's tongue... it's a thing you only do with your partner (wife, husband), not with everyone!!!

Peace
                          Guile

Comment

ohh boy what should I say
                            thanks for this enlightening conversation into the different methods of kissing,am sure we all learned something very usefull han
                            Man knows so much yet does so little...

Comment

Originally posted by guile
                              Oh no! LOL
                              French kiss is another thing: it's kissing on the mouth with touching each other's tongue... it's a thing you only do with your partner (wife, husband), not with everyone!!!

Peace
                              Guile
                              I know. Most people don't consider it a greeting I believe, but where's the limit of intimateness? In the past the Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev looked very intimate in his long kisses, even if they were not French..

The observations about French kissing habits make me feel so confused that I probably have to avoid visiting a relative of mine who lives there!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X