Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hijab And Depression, Is There A Relation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hijab And Depression, Is There A Relation?

Taking from Islamonline.net

Question :

Answer :

As- salamu 'alaykum,

We appreciate your candor in discussing this particular issue. We do not know much more than what you have written in your message so it is difficult for us to have a full picture of what went on in your life before you took off the hijab. You say that you took it off because you were depressed. What caused you to be depressed? What was causing you to feel so suppressed or oppressed that you felt a sense of freedom when you took off the hijab.? You need not write back to us with the answers , but it will be quite helpful if you reflect on those questions for yourself.

Allah Most High is constantly watching over you and is aware of all that you do. We understand that something in your life was causing you to be depressed. Again, since we do not have much information on what was causing you to be depressed, we are offering one possible explanation. Because the hijab.is mandatory, there is no possible explanation we can think of that would have made is acceptable to link the hijab.itself with your depression.

What we mean is that you might have actually been depressed because you were having difficulty adjusting to your university environment. Since the hijab.is the external manifestation of your Islamic identity, we believe your depression might have been a result of experiences you had with discrimination or prejudice. If that is the case, then we could see how you might have concluded that removing the external manifestation, i.e. the hijab., would help to make you less noticeable and therefore reduce your experiences with discrimination and prejudice.

However, if you look back now, and our analysis is on the mark, then you will see that taking off the hijab.only gave you a temporary sense of freedom while having severe consequences on your ability to perform well in medical school. When you wore your hijab., that was more natural for you and therefore you could focus all of your attention on your studies. Taking off the hijab.severely distracted your attention from your studies, making you feel like a failure and powerless.

Regardless of why you took off the hijab., we strongly suggest that you begin the process of recovery and healing by first putting the hijab.back on. You will find it challenging to put the hijab.back on but the benefits of doing so will soon outweigh the setbacks. Satan will tempt you into thinking that you are being a hypocrite by putting the hijab.back on. In reality, if you only put the hijab.back on for worldly reasons like you think you will do better in school, then you are mistaken.

Taking off the hijab.is going against the teachings of Islam and putting the hijab back on should only be for the pleasure of Allah Most High. Because you took off the hijab.

In addition, Allah Most High has said:

You are sincerely concerned about your future and that is why you have written to us. Now the decision is yours. What are you going to do? Put the hijab.back on, strengthen your relationship with Allah, and excel in medical school! Remember, Allah knows best.

For further guidance please refer to the following links:

◊ Did not get a job or find a husband after starting to wear the hijab

◊ Dirty thoughts are making me feel hypocritical for wearing the hijab

◊ Celebrating the Day She Started to Wear Hijab

Please Re-update your Signature

very interesting
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Salaams sister,

I understand what you are going through as i myself have gone through a similiar situation. Going to university and feeling different and thinking that i dont fit in. But you have to learn to feel good and comfortable with whom you are. It doesnt matter what people think to what you are wearing as long as you know who you are and what your beliefs are. That makes you "YOU".

I now dont really care what others may think of me, as i have gained the confidence and feel good when i wear my hijab.

So try to be happy with wearing it cos you want to and not because you feel you have. Thats the beauty of the true meaning of wearing a Hijab.
      Hope this helps in any way.

S.R

Comment

Salaamu alykum wa baraka Allahu feekum,

Sister SRAFIQ, the fatwa was taking from Islamonline.net... also I'm a bro not a sister.. :)

But your post does help, inshallah ta`ala, fa jazaki Allahu khir al jaza`a.

Comment

I have never been happier since I started practising and covering, my parents notice a difference (for the better) in me alhamdulillah :)

Comment

OOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSS

I didn't read that right Bro, im sorry mis read the message........ but its true how sisters go through that....

Comment

but its true how sisters go through that....
              I know what you mean, but indeed, as-sabr is virtue.

Comment

May the Allah strengthen the muslims
                دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by Latifa
                  I have never been happier since I started practising and covering, my parents notice a difference (for the better) in me alhamdulillah :)
                  MashaAllah what a blessing:)

The feeling is soo mutual sister:)

Comment

Salamu Alaikum

dunt know how much i can help or say but i think a muslim girl should wear hijab with honor and pride and not look at someones weird expression upon seeing you (muslim girl) wearing a hijab ... it is basically a protection for women if u wanna call it as the one who wears Hijab is not looked upon with eyes full of lust but instead with eyes full of curiosity... what i mean is girl wearing hijab will be asked why shes wear it and what significance does it have rather than being harassed as a sex material (you mite be asked for a date but upon your rejection to that person you wont be bothered by that person again) ...
                    thank you and GOD knows best

Comment

دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Salam sister,

May Allah strenghtens yr heart with faith and bless you whoever you want to be and give you success in whatever you do.

This is what Allah want to tell you. Tell me oh sister, where was your hijab when you are in the mother''s womb? Did Allah not nourish then.Do not worry.Allah will b with you in your studies.

Gazzali
                        Maulana.Com
                        My Life Page

Comment

Working...
                        X