Alcohol versus Kat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol versus Kat

Alcohol is not accepted by Muslims, but Kat is. Why? For those who may not be familiar with Kat, it is, according to Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language, "an evergreen shrub of Arabia and Africa the leaves of which are used as a narcotic when chewed or made into a beverage".

In Western countries, alcohol is widely considered detrimental to your health, although many experts admit that it does have good effects, too. I know that chewing Kat is not recommended by Yemeni officials, although everybody seems to use it.

What is the situation elsewhere and what do you say about its good and bad effects? How would you compare it with alcohol?
    Please Re-update your Signature

A fortnight has elapsed without a single comment. Is Kat really that unknown in the Muslim world, although it appears to be so common in Somalia, Yemen, etc. Has Jamila made any observations in Saudi Arabia?

Comment

I don't know what it is. I have never heard of it. They drink tea and coffee, sometimes spiced with mint, saffron, nutmeg, ginger or cardamom (so do I).
      Some of them also smoke something in their hubbly bubblies that smells sweetish, and they love perfumes (one of my weaknesses) and incense to give a pleasant atmosphere. But I have no idea what Kat is. Does it have another name I may recognize?
      jamila :)

Comment

Jamila, thanks for your reply. There's plenty of information in the net, e.g., the following link might help: http://www.a1b2c3.com/drugs/khat1.htm

Kat is also spelt Khat or Qat.

Comment

As salaamu alaikum sis Jamila :)

Please forgive me, I have no information to offer to this thread...I just like your name for the hookas sis...hubbly bubblies...cute ;) and I also love the spiced teas alhamdulillah. Have you ever tried tea with few drops of rose water and ground cardomom? It is very nice....do you have a favorite tea blend akht?

Allah hafiz ;) sis M.

*Also I have not hear of this "Kat"....

Comment

toooooo much nutmeg can make you hallucinate :D :D :D

Comment

Bismillah-Asalaamu Alaykum Wr Wb

Well I'm from Somalia, and It is the Country that this is Most Widly Used! The Same with Ethiopia/Kenya. It is used widely in East Africa, I don't know about the rest of the Arab Countries, after Somalia/Djabuti and Yemen, they are the only Arab countries that use Khat!

To answer you Question Outsider, Khat is not the same as Alcahol! I don't Know If you heard But The Muslim Scholars in these Areas haven't Allowed the chewing of Khat, and have Forbiden It, As well as Smoking, which Khat is mostly related with!So Infact Islam doesn't Contridic in Forbiding Alcohol and Allowing Khat! If Some Muslims Chew Khat! They are the ones who commited a sin, not Islam!

Well We All Know that There are no True 'Muslim States' in the World, and as for Somalia, There has been no Centeral Government for the last 12 years as you might be aware of! In a Islamic State, Not even Smoking would have been allowed, neverless Chewing Khat!
              Allah knows best!
              Last edited by Salahudin; 27-06-02, 07:24 AM.
              وَأَن لَّيْسَ لِلإِنسَـنِ إِلاَّ مَا سَعَى

Comment

I don't know about khat but the alcohol is not good at all. Some people try to solve their problems with alcohol but when they wake up the problem is still their and they have a big headache.

Comment

Working...
                X