Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amaankhan
    started a topic Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

:salams,

The Question is clear enough and doesnt require any further explanations. Please post your comments regarding this with some good references.

:jkk:

• Thunderstorm
    replied
    Re: Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

There's a little confusion regarding it because the initial game was about gambling and it was invented and played in India, reaching the Persian court by the 6th century, but the Arabian penninsula by 650 CE or so perhaps. And the Hindus forbade gambling, so the players of "shatranj" altered the game a whole lot and removed the dices and gambling. We find it hard to understand why anyone would get angry over a game of chess like the scholars warned, except if it was about money as it was back then in India - or how some sources report,
    It was said that a nobleman (playing White) wagered his wife Dilārām on a chess game and this position arose. She appealed "Sacrifice your two Rooks, and not me.

This happened during the time of the famous scholars, and it makes sense now why they would say that this is haram.
    1. Wagering(in this absurd case; one's spouse, shows what craze and desperation the greed induced)
    2. Subsequent anger or disruption of one's sanity or daily schedule as a result are very realistic in that situation

But today people don't usually gamble in chess, so we rarely ever see anyone get angry over chess - it can still happen, but in the same way it can happen in other areas of life. If we don't have enough discipline to stop playing and go perform our duties, then that's not just a chess problem, you see.
    The strongest case somebody today could make against chess is, in my opinion, the depiction of the head of a horse. But beyond that, I reckon a permutation of the initial game has come about such that it is harmless by the standards of the ayah which was used against it once upon a time:

:start:
    [5:91] Satan only wants to cause between you animosity and hatred through intoxicants and gambling and to avert you from the remembrance of Allah and from prayer. So will you not desist?
    Just like if you boil a drink to the point that all alcohol evaporates - it's not haram anymore.

This is by no means a fatwa, I'm just saying that I avoided chess deliberately for a long time while I thought the evidence against it was strong, but I stumbled upon something just about half a year ago that made this much clearer to me, and I think we need a reevaluation at this point. It's one of my ambitions to become one of the best in my business and earn a fortune so that I can fund bringing ulama, muslim psychologists, muslim programmers and other muslims of relevant fields together and hammer out some good guidelines and examples for computer- and console games, since in this day and age and most likely in the future as well, it will be inevitable, I've seen fatawa of scholars from the recent past and the ancient past who indicate that we do have a lot to dabble in when it comes to games, we just need to get all the right people, resources and knowledge in the right place first, and we can make amazing things happen inshaaAllah.

Leave a comment:

• KickingKhawaja
    replied

hello

Leave a comment:

• KickingKhawaja
    replied

AOA Everyone,

Chess is a rare arena in which the dark triad traits can be unleashed to their full extent without causing harm to the adversary.

In this manner, it is a superb method to actively foster self-weaponization within the bounds of compassionate care to do no damage.

---

To deny the fallen nature of Man and refuse engagement with that nature means that those traits of the human being will fester.

That which is not cultivated and pruned, explored and mastered, takes over and controls without competence.

---

Bluntly expressed, I would suggest that the person in question who condemns chess for trickery and deceit, has profound internal struggles with trickery and deceit, and rather than facing and transcending his own darkness, reaches out to suppress that transcendence in others in order to give him breathing space to win.

It is, in other words, deceit and trickery in itself.

To suppress the power and knowledge of others is to be a tyrant.

To be a tyrant, is to court death from those who break shackles.

Hence tyrants suppress, in spiraling feedback loop.

To say spoken sentences like those are of tyranny
    Last edited by KickingKhawaja; 20-06-16, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KickingKhawaja
    replied

Salam,

I just wanted to state on why you are wrong for about the whole deception conception etc. for chess players and especially the way you envision the world and it's relation to a chessboard.

It is best to conserve your energy and walk away, but then there are other times when moments like these would be beneficial to you and the rest of the forum. On the opposite end of the spectrum of your naive point of view, I will demonstrate actionable evidence why you are wrong with all my convictions I can muster.

I believe your are letting your personal perspective cloud your vision. Whether or naught we are selective victims caught in this web of deception, just so you could distract and confuse, I don't know Please put asunder your one - dimensional point of view perspective, and hear what one has to say.

You cannot explicate from your demonstrated fallacious actions, that this is very naive argument with no logic reasoning at all, since your statements are only told inadvertently from your mood,perspective and point of view.

Looking beyond the obvious you started off with your statements and exchange of wording that will be now misinterpreted in a myriad number of ways, in regards i.e. someone wanting to play an innocent game of chess when no contradictions or opposition is being made to Islamic law and deen,etc.

The people from the forum may agree with you politely out of Islamic etiquette , but are really thinking something totally different.

Chess is not a game of deception. Just because someone has to win, does not mean he is required to do so out of deception or trickery, nevertheless outwitting or outmaneuvering his opponent. Sure the game is played with two minds each with their own restricted idiosyncrasies, but chess is a mental strategical tactical warfare whether deception is involved or not. Anything can involve deception really with a cultivate air of unpredictably, but who are we as humans to know what happens and predict each and every next moment outcome or result? I didn't know your reactions,etc.

For over fifteen hundred years, have princes, kings, warlords and military leaders been taught chess simply as a time waster or as a fashionable pastime? One would hardly think so. So why would those who would be expected to lead men in battle and defend kingdoms be educated in this board game and games like it? Could it be that playing chess is an excellent way of training individuals to think clearly, reason better and generally improve their ability for strategy? The skillset needed to be a skilled chess are similar to the skillset in being a successful war chief or general. This understanding of chess, I suggest, does not replace the knowledge a general would possess of actual armies and war strategies. It would complement and even enhance a critical ability of such an individual to think under pressure and adapt as situations change.

“Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought”. How many more during the battle under pressure? “It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose”. Here the master lays out explicitly why chess would be a beneficial past time for a leader in any field. Would not a chess master “makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought” or in plain English, would not a chess master make many decisions in his head before each game? Logic says this would be so.

You said how power is corrupt and how deception is involved. Sure one may adhere to Sun Tzu, The 48 Laws of Power, Machiavellian purposes,etc. to achieve the objective, but this point of view is naive, due to it's many realistic applications, coming from renowned strategical warriors and generals in history and the fact that one may use deception (as in most majority areas of life), but the cornerstone of chess is not or will ever be deception

[U]Just like book reading and class learning, adapting the knowledge gleaned to real life situations is the key skill. Libraries are full of knowledge but not one has ever won a war, without knowledge of what is ahead!!
    Knowing is not enough, to be able to apply the knowledge aptly is the real test of your understanding of both chess and the Art of War. It not my intent to write a book detailing how the game of chess ought to play but there are some points for you to consider.

Time and Time I learned again that Preparation is advantageous over and is based on rather than >>> Deception/Trickery every time whether. All the tactical dispositions still apply today, why? Because chess is a based game of learned and timely strategy and knowledge.

Deception may be a minuscule factor, but you tell me when has life never deceived or sent you something down your path you never saw coming. Are you going to blame Allah swt and say that he has deceived you with the event you were exposed to? Will you falsely accuse that life is deceiving from your point of view only that life is deception because it made an unpredictable move you never saw coming?

I agree with you that there are corrupt people in this world, and in smoke screen social settings or underneath the surface, there are people that will do anything out of desperation with instinctive ruthlessness (by hook or by crook) but to draw parallels and correlate this with the game of chess is purely naive. Whether this is a relic of your violent past or not i don't know, but to say so is wrong. Accusations like just promote more conflict and dissension

Your argument is very seductive, but not reasonable at all.There will always be those in society and in the world at large who are more deceptive and aggressive than we are as muslims, whether playing chess or dealing with everyday matters, who find ways to get what they want, and we should be vigilant, but this horrendous to say that the game of chess is all about what a small number of people are and interact / play in the world. What people do and moves they make at times can be in calculated

And chess is not barbaric.

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• KickingKhawaja
    replied

Originally posted by TroubledBrother View Post
    That may be true, but i still won, and last time i remember the object is to win.
    Last time i remember looking, we didn't live in an honorable world, try and use your examples in todays world.

Some use deception some use strategy, if you want to nit pick then fair do's.

You guys can be very obtuse.

:ragepc:

last thing i'll say some interweb definitions, which would you use? both or neither.

Strategy
    a detailed plan for achieving success in situations such as war, politics, business, industry or sport, or the skill of planning for such situations

Deception
    (also called beguilement, deceit, bluff, or subterfuge) is the act of convincing another to believe information that is not true, or not the whole truth as in certain types of half-truths.

i never said there is no strategy involved, but you cant deny there is no deception involved either, because if that's the case then i question who your opponents have been.

Originally posted by TroubledBrother View Post
    That may be true, but i still won, and last time i remember the object is to win.
    Last time i remember looking, we didn't live in an honorable world, try and use your examples in todays world.

Some use deception some use strategy, if you want to nit pick then fair do's.

You guys can be very obtuse.

:ragepc:

last thing i'll say some interweb definitions, which would you use? both or neither.

Strategy
    a detailed plan for achieving success in situations such as war, politics, business, industry or sport, or the skill of planning for such situations

Deception
    (also called beguilement, deceit, bluff, or subterfuge) is the act of convincing another to believe information that is not true, or not the whole truth as in certain types of half-truths.

i never said there is no strategy involved, but you cant deny there is no deception involved either, because if that's the case then i question who your opponents have been.

Salam,

I just wanted to state on why you are wrong for about the whole deception conception etc. for chess players and especially the way you envision the world and it's relation to a chessboard.

It is best to conserve your energy and walk away, but then there are other times when moments like these would be beneficial to you and the rest of the forum. On the opposite end of the spectrum of your naive point of view, I will demonstrate actionable evidence why you are wrong with all my convictions I can muster.

I believe your are letting your personal perspective cloud your vision. Whether or naught we are selective victims caught in this web of deception, just so you could distract and confuse, I don't know Please put asunder your one - dimensional point of view perspective, and hear what one has to say.

You cannot explicate from your demonstrated fallacious actions, that this is very naive argument with no logic reasoning at all, since your statements are only told inadvertently from your mood,perspective and point of view.

Looking beyond the obvious you started off with your statements and exchange of wording that will be now misinterpreted in a myriad number of ways, in regards i.e. someone wanting to play an innocent game of chess when no contradictions or opposition is being made to Islamic law and deen,etc.

The people from the forum may agree with you politely out of Islamic etiquette , but are really thinking something totally different.

Chess is not a game of deception. Just because someone has to win, does not mean he is required to do so out of deception or trickery, nevertheless outwitting or outmaneuvering his opponent. Sure the game is played with two minds each with their own restricted idiosyncrasies, but chess is a mental strategical tactical warfare whether deception is involved or not. Anything can involve deception really with a cultivate air of unpredictably, but who are we as humans to know what happens and predict each and every next moment outcome or result? I didn't know your reactions,etc.

For over fifteen hundred years, have princes, kings, warlords and military leaders been taught chess simply as a time waster or as a fashionable pastime? One would hardly think so. So why would those who would be expected to lead men in battle and defend kingdoms be educated in this board game and games like it? Could it be that playing chess is an excellent way of training individuals to think clearly, reason better and generally improve their ability for strategy? The skillset needed to be a skilled chess are similar to the skillset in being a successful war chief or general. This understanding of chess, I suggest, does not replace the knowledge a general would possess of actual armies and war strategies. It would complement and even enhance a critical ability of such an individual to think under pressure and adapt as situations change.

“Now the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought”. How many more during the battle under pressure? “It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose”. Here the master lays out explicitly why chess would be a beneficial past time for a leader in any field. Would not a chess master “makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought” or in plain English, would not a chess master make many decisions in his head before each game? Logic says this would be so.

You said how power is corrupt and how deception is involved. Sure one may adhere to Sun Tzu, The 48 Laws of Power, Machiavellian purposes,etc. to achieve the objective, but this point of view is naive, due to it's many realistic applications, coming from renowned strategical warriors and generals in history and the fact that one may use deception (as in most majority areas of life), but the cornerstone of chess is not or will ever be deception

Just like book reading and class learning, adapting the knowledge gleaned to real life situations is the key skill. Libraries are full of knowledge but not one has ever won a war, without knowledge of what is ahead!!
    Knowing is not enough, to be able to apply the knowledge aptly is the real test of your understanding of both chess and the Art of War. It not my intent to write a book detailing how the game of chess ought to play but there are some points for you to consider.

Time and Time I learned again that Preparation is advantageous over and is based on rather than >>> Deception/Trickery every time whether. All the tactical dispositions still apply today, why? Because chess is a based game of learned and timely strategy and knowledge.

Deception may be a minuscule factor, but you tell me when has life never deceived or sent you something down your path you never saw coming. Are you going to blame Allah swt and say that he has deceived you with the event you were exposed to? Will you falsely accuse that life is deceiving from your point of view only that life is deception because it made an unpredictable move you never saw coming?

I agree with you that there are corrupt people in this world, and in smoke screen social settings or underneath the surface, there are people that will do anything out of desperation with instinctive ruthlessness (by hook or by crook) but to draw parallels and correlate this with the game of chess is purely naive. Whether this is a relic of your violent past or not i don't know, but to say so is wrong. Accusations like just promote more conflict and dissension

Your argument is very seductive, but not reasonable at all.There will always be those in society and in the world at large who are more deceptive and aggressive than we are as muslims, whether playing chess or dealing with everyday matters, who find ways to get what they want, and we should be vigilant, but this horrendous to say that the game of chess is all about what a small number of people are and interact / play in the world. What people do and moves they make at times can be in calculated

And chess is not barbaric like this people.

Thank you

Trust me I want to believe it is best to conserve your energy and walk away from the heat of argumentative moment and in society, where there is no agreement but resentment, but I want demonstration not explication. But as an american muslim - Widen your perspective on not just chess but society and the world in general

Finally, please my brother do not limit yourself to what you simply think this world is from your captured reality.

I agree that this world is not sunshine and rainbows, but the correlation between a chessboard and making it to the top of the food chain of power & corruption??

This just shows how counter-productive your reasoning is and your confusion of chess since you have sadly established a volatile posture for the world which is not by far instated in every players minds and hearts, especially kids all around the world who set out to become Grandmasters to earn scholarships for colleges etc.

This may not be of your intentions concealed or not, but if so, please do not stir up the waters with the people who know chess if you don't know how to catch the fish.

Inshallah may allah feign ignorance and duplicity from our hearts and minds, Ameen.

Allahu Alam

Leave a comment:

• Isa9
    replied

I wonder how many young people are on forum when their parents have asked them to clean their room?

Leave a comment:

• Peacenik
    replied

Originally posted by Peacenik View Post
    :wswrwb:

I guess that includes 99.9% of things we do (sports, internet, family, video games etc..) - anything can distract us from our obligations. Seems odd that chess is singled out.
    I thought it would be better to revive this particular thread.

Leave a comment:

• LondoMollari
    replied

Originally posted by shoudd View Post
    Just to reitterate its merely a game a passtime which harms no one. I still cannot believe I need to say this and Im getting almost a counter argument???
    I think some people are going along the point that if ye're playin' chess then ye're no using that time to be doin' something more productive like reading namaz or da'wah or something - so that puts it in the same category as videogames TV and films, IMHO. Of course they didnae have videogames or TV's etc back in the day so they wernae mentioned

Leave a comment:

• shoudd
    replied

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
    Stimulates their mind?

yes, it stimulates ones mind and teaches one the process of how to effectively use ones troops as cannon-fodder ...

Just to reitterate its merely a game a passtime which harms no one. I still cannot believe I need to say this and Im getting almost a counter argument???

Leave a comment:

• shoudd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• علي
    replied

I see some people are saying that certain reasons it may be haram are applicable to other things.

Really the problem as I see it clearly are all in the fact that there are specific ahadith, not from the Prophet :saw: but from Sahabah, that mention it specifically. These were mentioned in the post on the first page from IslamQA. Since that is the case, it definitely seems to be very bad, despite whether or not some of its properties can be applied to other games. It was specifically named.

That said, the fatwah did not seem to include the authenticity of the sayings, so Allah knows best about them. I have heard them many times before as well, some people mix up the hadith on dice and switch chess in there instead, but that's not a hadith anymore. However since Abdullah Bin Umar (r. a) said it is worse than dice (if it's an authentic narration and I'm assuming it is as of now), a fatwah like that from such a prominent Sahabi is far more than enough.

Leave a comment:

• Saif-Uddin
    replied

Originally posted by shoudd View Post
    With respect can we simply just use basic common sense - I cannot believe there is a forum for this, it stimulates the mind, passes time and I can see absolutely no wrong in it providing you dont cheat, lie, gamble whilst playing and let it run your life which I cannot see happenning. People its just a boardgame lets see things for what they really are, life is simply too short for forums such as this where common sense is the answer.
    Stimulates their mind?

yes, it stimulates ones mind and teaches one the process of how to effectively use ones troops as cannon-fodder ...

Leave a comment:

• shoudd
    replied

With respect can we simply just use basic common sense - I cannot believe there is a forum for this, it stimulates the mind, passes time and I can see absolutely no wrong in it providing you dont cheat, lie, gamble whilst playing and let it run your life which I cannot see happenning. People its just a boardgame lets see things for what they really are, life is simply too short for forums such as this where common sense is the answer.

Leave a comment:

• Peacenik
    replied

Originally posted by asak786 View Post
    Asalaam aliekum
    :wswrwb:

People are saying that chess is won through deception are certainly wrong in my perspective because it is won by outsmarting the opponent and making better choices.
    I guess same could be said for football (or other sports). You're deceiving the other side to gain the upper hand.

Bizarre but true.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X