Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is Playing Chess Haraam according to Islam?

Why is chess any different from any other game, including video games, checkers, dominoes?

If chess is Haraam, should not these other games should be as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Joha View Post
      Well the statement I've made bold in the post below is demonstrably wrong. They understand the deen, that doesn't mean they understand the game. If someone has said that chess is gambling even when money isn't involved then they have made a mistake.

It might be disliked for other reasons, like wasting time but gambling can't be one of them. There's about as much luck (think gambling) involved in Chess as there is in holding a debate.
      :start:
      Scholars based on their opinion on involving images of living creatures too. Well I wont come up with bold statement pointing at sahabahs (RA). So I leave it here. Each will be answered to what they do and Allah is the judge and He knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by rahamath View Post
        Scholars based on their opinion on involving images of living creatures too. Well I wont come up with bold statement pointing at sahabahs (RA). So I leave it here. Each will be answered to what they do and Allah is the judge and He knows best.
        So this would make cartoons/anime and video games Haraam?

Comment

I'm not saying anything about the Sahabah - I was referring to the quote from Imam Al-Dhahabi...but if the Sahabah did think that they must have known a different game.

As for living creatures you can always eliminate that and use 'names' instead.
          ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
          a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
          worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
          a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
          and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
          (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Since we're at this subject, some one told me playing with dice is haraam.
            Is this true?

Comment

I don't understand the logic behind why or how Chess could be haram. It is all about strategy,outhinking ur oppenent. Skills which are beneficial in other areas of life, including waging war.
              Allah is always watching [VIDEO]

How To Weep For The Fear Of Allah

Please remember to share these links with people you know so they can also benefit from them. :jkk:

Comment

so basically, if it's fun it's haram :p
                Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Peacenik View Post
                  :wswrwb:

I guess that includes 99.9% of things we do (sports, internet, family, video games etc..) - anything can distract us from our obligations. Seems odd that chess is singled out.
                  Originally posted by mundo View Post
                  That is not true. Prophet SAW promoted things like archery, wrestling and horse riding. Sports is good for physical fitness and should be done.
                  Brother, I'm not saying taking part in sport is 'haraam'; I'm saying that sometimes people get so engrossed in their particular activity, that it can lead to sin (i.e. not offering the Salaat as an example).

It's not the activity that's at fault, it's the individual.
                  'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Hamza Yusuf wrote a very good article regarding this issue a while back. There is ikhtilaaf on its permissibility. He states the opinions of the scholars, first opinion according to the majority of Hanbali scholars and some Hanafi scholars is that it is prohibited. The second opinion is that it is discouraged, which is the opinion of the Shafi school of thought. Third opinion that some scholars hold is that it is mubah (permissible.) The scholarly opinions and their proofs start on pg.4.

http://www.zaytuna.org/seasonsjourna...in%20Light.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by mundo View Post
                      That is not true. Prophet SAW promoted things like archery, wrestling and horse riding. Sports is good for physical fitness and should be done. However excessive sports like athletes who do it for a living or obsessive indulgence is not liked.
                      The view on such things are if you learn something useful and enjoy yourself then that is best. Chess is just a game to waste time as is board games, video games etc as it is not productive and waste of time making you heedless to your duties.

Internet ... depends what you use it for. If you use if for deen or business or reaserach of some sort then there is no harm. Use it to pass time... then probably yes

Attending to family is a parents / family members obligation. Even checking on your neighbour is an islamic duty aswell. Fulfilling islamic duty comes under deen and not distraction.

I dont thing it is not possible to lead a life without some sort of entertainment or time-off but it must be semi productive.
                      Err why not?
                      http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/7...0779662np7.gif

Comment

Originally posted by miss blue View Post
                        Since we're at this subject, some one told me playing with dice is haraam.
                        Is this true?
                        I wouldnae have thought so... dice is just a tool for generating random numbers - whether you're playing Ludo or Dungeons and Dragons :p

it's what you DO with it after, that matters, and if your INTENT is to gamble for money then that makes it haraam, cos gambling is haraam, not the actual device for generating random numbers, in this case, a dice
                        Logic is the cement of our civilisation, with which we ascend from chaos, using reason and faith in Allah as our guide.

Comment

:salams,

But its a fact that playing chess makes one's brain sharper and it develops good analytical skills which may be helpful in his career. What then?
                          :lailah:

Comment

Originally posted by amaankhan View Post
                            :salams,

But its a fact that playing chess makes one's brain sharper and it develops good analytical skills which may be helpful in his career. What then?
                            Chess involes trickery and deception in order to defeat your opponent.

i find it difficult to beileve that no one actually said this so far...

and we all know how lies, trickery are viewed in islam...

correct me if i'm wrong anyone

Comment

Originally posted by TroubledBrother View Post
                              Chess involes trickery and deception in order to defeat your opponent.

i find it difficult to beileve that no one actually said this so far...

and we all know how lies, trickery are viewed in islam...

correct me if i'm wrong anyone
                              I'm really aghast - it seems Muslims have decided not to bother to check whether what they're saying is actually true, or just hearsay. It's always a good idea to find out about what it is you're condemning.

So...I will correct you.

Have you ever played the game?

Chess involves the same level of 'lying' and 'trickery' as that involved in a typical debate. In fact, a lot less because it's nearly impossible to lie with your actions, whilst it's easy to lie with words.

(Where is the lie? I make a move, you make a move - the rules are well defined, the result is well defined, the difference is strategy. How is this any different to say, convincing someone you're right?)
                              ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
                              a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
                              worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
                              a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
                              and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
                              (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Yeah disobeying parents is a great sin. SubhanAllah! look how far we are from. Naudhubillah!
                                Watching cricket, football for hours all will fall in this category of taking us away from remembrance of Allah I think and also spending hrs in chatting in internet all will fall under vain talk. Subhanallah!
                                wait a minute , you mean you cant make tasbeeh while watching a football match ? :)

Comment

Working...
                                X