Help stressing out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help stressing out!

I just go my gcse results and they wern't quite as good as expected B's, C's and D's. I was hoping to study science at 6th form to study medicine or dentistry in uni but grades wernt good enough so I has to pick applied business and IT/maths instead.

I want to know what can i acheive with these courses? I.e what can I study at uni with these subjects

Thanks

Re: Help stressing out!

AssalamuAllaikum waramatullah akhi,

firstly, not much time so im going to be straight to the point inshAllah. Firstly, Gcse's aint that important so dont worry with grades( B's and C's aint bad at all btw)

now the issue comes to your A levels. Firstly if you wanna pick medicine or dentistry they MAY want to look at your GCSE's, and although they are good they are not class like some posh, privatised millionaire students who pay a lot to get A's.

But, ofc you need to get the A levels first. So i suggest you go to the head of 6th form and have a meeting. Tell them your goals and that you really want to put the work in, to get into a good degree and uni. Say that you didnt work to your potential in GCSE's and thus the reason why you didnt get the results they want.

I highly suggest you dont pick IT and business as they arent seen as good as the major ones like maths, physics, chem, bio, economics, and so on and so forth. So i highly suggest you get them changes as you need sciences to get into dentistry or medicine. I dont wanna put others down, but ICT and buisness are not accepted much by unis and are seen to be "easy".

Get your subs changed, and really tell them you are gnna put your all into getting good grades.

Inshallah you will be able to get the subjects you want and will obtain good grades and a good uni and a good degree and a good job and be a good muslim and a future leader. AMEEN.

Comment

Originally posted by amaz View Post
      I just go my gcse results and they wern't quite as good as expected B's, C's and D's. I was hoping to study science at 6th form to study medicine or dentistry in uni but grades wernt good enough so I has to pick applied business and IT/maths instead.

I want to know what can i acheive with these courses? I.e what can I study at uni with these subjects

Thanks
      hey dont worry, i know many that would wish thry could have grades like yours.

Ok whats happened has happened, Its better to learn now then later. My advice, simarlar to QMU, if you have your heart sat on doing medicing or dentistry i think you'll have to change your subject...whatever you do do not drop maths...though its not science i dont think many uni will look pass student who want to do medicine/dentistry without a level maths.

Also remeber a level is very different from GCSE, harder and more workload to name the one. I know people who have totally flunked gcses and have graduated from top unis, one friend of mine, hardly spoke much english, pretty much got 3 A's vice versa...so whatever happens try not to get daunted by the subjects...uni is even more different but we'll leave that for topic for another day shall we. ;)

Good luck with your studies and may Allah(Swt) make you succesfull in this dunya and the next. Ameen, thumma ameen. :up:
      ...and InshAllah i remind myself before i remind others.

ASPIRE to INSPIRE before you EXPIRE!

Is your Boss coming?...Click here :D

Comment

don't worry about your gcse's unless you want to go to oxford, cambrige, imperial UCL etc, the reputable universities. these only look at your GCSE's because that is their only means of discriminating and filtering out the competition. but most other medical schools can overlook your GCSE's if your A-levels are satisfactory to them. it makes sense, why look at a person's poor GCSE results, when they did very well on their A-levels.

if you still don't trust it, then you can always re- do your GCSE sciences, whilst studying A-levels. it'll help your a-levels too.

Comment

The problem is I want to do science but my grades arn't good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by amaz View Post
            The problem is I want to do science but my grades arn't good enough.
            Bro, GCSE's results dont mean you cant do certain subjects etc.

The thing is, your 6th form probs has a policy which allows you to do sciences if you got a certain amount of passes or A's etc. But this is only a policy and it isnt the fact that you cant do what you want.

Thats why i said go and speak to the head of the 6th form and even if after that you aint allowed to do the subjects then dont go to that 6th form, and apply to others or colleges. I do suggest stickin to a 6th form though, so just try to speak to your head, and if not then apply to other 6th forms in your local area .

Comment

Oh yea thanks brother it is there policy, I need a double B in order to do a science. I will go speak to the teachers on monday inshallah and get everything sorted.

Also the closest other 6th form to me is doing IB which is why I don't want to go there.

Comment

6th forms are unnecessarily strict. You should contact a local Collage. They might take you in.

Comment

Just be really clear with yourself that you WILL put the work in and you WILL do it methodically and...

sit down with a mentor (parent, teacher, older sibling who is on the track you want for yourself) and analyse why you did poorly on GCE's , what would have been a better system of study, why your expectations of yourself were not.

I'll bet 99% of it is study habits and organization and method. They really should teach a course in that.

With your mentor you might look at Bloom's Taxonomy
                  http://www.teach-nology.com/workshee..._savers/bloom/
                  It is more commonly used by teachers to check curriculum effectiveness but I teach my students to look at it as a self-evaluation tool. It really helps you identify what you missed, are confused about etc.

for A level you will be expected to also analyze, synthesize and evaluate, whereas for O level GCE you are just supposed to know information, understand it and be able to apply it.

Retaking your GCE's might help you strengthen your base knowlege so you can succeed in A's better.

the main thing is to really commit to do what it takes, and that means having a METHOD in your study and work schedule. I have too many clever students who work too hard at the wrong (reading over notes obsessively) and not enough at strategic stuff. Like really UNDERSTANDING them.

good luck! Anyone walking into my office upset at their performance and determined to do better I always help as much as I possibly can... :o
                  Probably, no nation is rich enough to pay for both war and civilization. We must make our choice; we cannot have both.~Abraham Flexner

Comment

And just as note, Chemistry is valued much more than Maths at A-level for Medicine...in fact it's tends to be compulsory with Biology required to at least at an AS level.
                    "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

What kind of secondary school did you attend? If it was one with a poor academic record i suggest you stay there for 6th form, choose the sciences and look around schemes that some uni's have to help students from disadvantaged backgrounds to get into competitve courses like medicine by lowering the grade requirements.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/winners-report/playing-field
                      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X