4 medium onions, chopped
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    5 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp pine nuts
    1 tbsp current
    1 tbsp dry mint
    1 cup hot water
    Salt

Sautee the onion with olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and salt, stir and cover the lid. Cook over very low heat until the rice looks almost see-through. Add the sugar, nuts, current, mint and 1 cup hot water. Cook until all the water evaporates, stirring occasionally over low heat. Put aside and let it cool down.

Fill a large pot half way with water and boil. Add all the leaves in it and boil for about 2-3 minutes. Drain and cut off the stems. The matte (not shiny) side of the leaf is the inside, that's where the filling will go. Grab a leaf and fold the top where the stem was as shown in this picture. Use a teaspoon to put filling on it . First fold over the top , then the two sides and roll to close it up. Line up all the rolls in the pot side by side tightly, without any holes in between .

Pour in 1 1/2 cup of water from the side of pot. Cook over low heat until most of the water evaporates. Leave a little bit of water at the bottom, it will go away as it's cooling down.

After it cools down, place on a service plate and serve with lemon slices on top. Keep in the fridge.

http://www.turkishcookbook.com/2006/...-olive-oil.php
    They never taste nice made with old vine leafs. You need the fresh ones but you can't get them here in the UK. Turks stuff dried peppers and other vegetables too with a similar sort of stuffing.
    O Lord, if I worship you out of fear of hell, burn me in hell. If I worship you in the hope of paradise, forbid it to me. And if I worship you for your own sake, do not deprive me of your eternal beauty (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)

Comment

Re: Yummmmm

Originally posted by Supernova Nebula View Post
      Iraqi dolma for ramadan:D

what are the dumpling things? Is that like Turkish Manti. That's yummy when it's home made.
      O Lord, if I worship you out of fear of hell, burn me in hell. If I worship you in the hope of paradise, forbid it to me. And if I worship you for your own sake, do not deprive me of your eternal beauty (Rabi'a Al-'Adawiyya)

Comment

Re: Yummmmm

the ones that look like dumplings are stuffed onions, which im not going to try. It's not easy to scoop out onions with the cry and all lol I will try stuff courgette, aubergines and red capsicums, will have dolma for iftar today:D hopefully it will come out ok though:o

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X