Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anaemia - Islamic remedies?

:salams

A friend of mine is suffering from anaemia. There are periods when they simply are too tired to go to work and therefore sometimes don't get paid which is a big problem as they are the bread winner in their home.

Aside from ibadah and making duah is there any practical Islamic advise regarding anaemia? Anything from the Sunnah for example?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :insha:.

:jkk:
    Allah will ask on the Day of Judgment: (Muslim)

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Re: Anaemia - Islamic remedies?

Your friend should get it checked out by a doctor....a blood test essentially will determine, what type of anaemia she/he suffers (if that is the problem) and they can prescribe iron supplements or folic acid depending...

Ramadan is coming up, so my suggestion is that your friend does this ASAP, so they have their prescriptions before Ramadan.
    "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Floradix

https://secure11.actionhosting.ca/ca...ix500mlEng.jpg

really helps. I have been aneamic for over a year with quite bad defencies and this is what has really helped me Alhumdollilah.

I have also been having lots of green banana boiled water and fruit and veg which has helped also

The Dr will perscribe Ferrous Sulphate ......may help

Also eat lots of red meat and liver.

Go the physician and get checked out
      Last edited by Jenicca; 16-08-09, 10:17 PM.
      وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

What's their diet like? They need to be eating loads of iron rich food alongside a good portion of vitamin C which will help their bod absorb the iron better! So for example spinach with a glass of orange juice and so on. Spinach is a really good source of iron, as is red meat. Try baby spinach leaves tossed in everyday salad or cooked spinach as a meal.

There is also a natural iron supplement called Spatone, totally safe for anyone, anyage to take because it is entirely natural! Here is a link to it: http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/e...rands/spatone/
        What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
        Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
        Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
        but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
        but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
        We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
        freedom from slavery to other than the One,
        Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
        and a horizon that extends to the next life,
        Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

I am mildly anaemic but as a result of another condition which means I have too much iron. Therefore all those iron supplements make things worse! As you know, anaemia can vary in it's severity so your friend should really see a doctor if it's becoming a serious problem.

I just try to eat more fruit and do more exercise (I eat lots of meat anyway). This keeps the energy levels generally higher but I still feel fatigued now and then-- nothing like before though where I would literally fall asleep (more like unconscious) after breakfast despite having a good nights sleep!

Comment

I really appreciate all the replies.

Maybe I should have provided more detail?

A GP is consulted regularly. Prescriptions are taken and diets are watched carefully for iron rich food and vitamin C.

But it can still be a problem that gets pretty bad at times.

I was hoping specifically for practical advise from Islamic sources. To be honest, I doubt the existence of a such a thing concerning anaemia but I thought its worth asking nonetheless. I have been looking on the net but I've come across nothing. :(

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

If your friend is a non white person then ask him to be tested for thalasemia. For years I was told that I was anemic but recently found that I carry the thalasemia gene which can often be misdiagnosed as anemia and shouldn't be treated with iron supplements. Remember that not all iron supplements suit all people so if he suffers side effects (as I do) then he should consider changing to a different supplement. Iron is absorbed in the body when it's taken with vitamin C so he should make sure he has fruit or fruit juices everyday inshallah. The 'Islamic' answer would be dates and raisins cos' they're iron rich too;)

Supplements aren't always the best way, I think an iron rich diet is a good way to go. Do you know why the supplments are ineffective? Is it because he suffers from side effects from them or that they're simply not helping his energy levels? If they're not doing anything for him then it's possible that the anemia is a sign of an underlying medical condition that they haven't found yet. Is his digestion okay? If it isn't then it could be a sign that in spite of eating the right things, his body is not absorbing nutrients properly.
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by NeverGoodEnough View Post
                :salams

A friend of mine is suffering from anaemia. There are periods when they simply are too tired to go to work and therefore sometimes don't get paid which is a big problem as they are the bread winner in their home.

Aside from ibadah and making duah is there any practical Islamic advise regarding anaemia? Anything from the Sunnah for example?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :insha:.

Wa alaikumaslaam

dont know about a cure specifically for anaemia but a teaspoon of blackseed oil in a glass of orange juice is a great energy provider
                The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                  If your friend is a non white person then ask him to be tested for thalasemia. For years I was told that I was anemic but recently found that I carry the thalasemia gene which can often be misdiagnosed as anemia and shouldn't be treated with iron supplements. Remember that not all iron supplements suit all people so if he suffers side effects (as I do) then he should consider changing to a different supplement. Iron is absorbed in the body when it's taken with vitamin C so he should make sure he has fruit or fruit juices everyday inshallah. The 'Islamic' answer would be dates and raisins cos' they're iron rich too;)

Supplements aren't always the best way, I think an iron rich diet is a good way to go. Do you know why the supplments are ineffective? Is it because he suffers from side effects from them or that they're simply not helping his energy levels? If they're not doing anything for him then it's possible that the anemia is a sign of an underlying medical condition that they haven't found yet. Is his digestion okay? If it isn't then it could be a sign that in spite of eating the right things, his body is not absorbing nutrients properly.

Thank you. A lot of really good advice that I was previously unaware of. Very much appreciated.

Originally posted by MG View Post
                  Wa alaikumaslaam

dont know about a cure specifically for anaemia but a teaspoon of blackseed oil in a glass of orange juice is a great energy provider
                  Alhamdulillah black seed oil :)

Will pass on this info :insha:

:jkk: sister.

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

Herbal Medicine Anemia

Dong quai - This herb is rich in vitamins and minerals.
                    Chive - This vegetable is rich in vitamin C and iron - eat fresh chives.
                    Quinoa - This is a grain rich in all eight essential amino acids that form a complete protein.
                    Gentian - The bitter herb gentian is popular in England for the treatment of anemia. Gentian can be brewed into a tea or you can take a commercially available extract.
                    Dandelion is also believed to help people with anemia. It is very rich in vitamins and minerals.
                    Other herbs that are of interest to those suffering from anemia include alfalfa, bilberry, burdock root, cherry, goldenseal, grape skins, hawthorn berry, horsetail, mullein, parsley, nettle, Oregon grape root, pau d'arco, red raspberry, shepherd's purse, watercress, and yellow dock root.
                    Caution: Do not take goldenseal or Oregon grape root if you are pregnant. If you have a history of cardiovascular disease, diabetes or glaucoma, see your physician before taking any herbs.

Asian ginseng (Panax ginseng) is useful as a general tonic to counteract anemia induced fatigue. Dong quai may be prescribed for women with heavy menstrual flow. For anemic patients with yellow complexion, a Chinese herbalist might recommend a combination of dong quai and Chinese foxglove root. For those with white complexion, they may recommend a combination of ginseng and astragalus
                    46 & 2?

Comment

Precautions:
                      Do not drink coffee, tea, beer or cola with meals as these inhibits the absorption of iron. Instead, drink citrus juices. These are rich in Vitamin C and assists in the absorption of iron.
                      Take daily multivitamin. Do not take any iron supplements without consulting your doctor.
                      Do not smoke. Avoid second hand smoke.
                      Minimize your exposure to lead and other toxic metals such as aluminum, cadmium and mercury.
                      46 & 2?

Comment

:jkk:, brother.

Very good info especially the things to avoid as well as things to take.

"Zendagi Migzara..."

Comment

alongside ferrous sulphate tablets, changes in diet are sufficient to get a healthy blood count.He/she should eat certain foods as part of diet as any normal food and not see it as eating it for that particular reason as ppl then tend to get fed up. A suggestion of few food items are:

*Spinach as mentioned by others(try making a small amount of juice of it and gulp it down if you find it hard to eat)
                          *Apples/apple juice(homemade)
                          *Beetroot
                          *Pomegranite
                          *liver
                          *Tomatoes
                          *When eating meat, squeeze some lemon juice over it-It helps the body to absorb the iron from it into the blood.
                          *Lettuce Leaves

Thats all I can think of at the moment!

Comment

Sorry I forgot to ask: is this a male or female acquaintance with Anemia? I ask because women are more susceptible because of their 'monthly cycles'. If there is any irregularity (especially heaviness) during that time of the month, then that is something that also needs to be investigated as this can cause and/or exacerbate anemia as well.
                            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Perhaps try Hijama Cupping.....?

Visit: www.muslim-mums.co.uk

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X