Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somalian Culture?

:salams:

In the past years I have noticed a decent sized Somalian community forming in my city where there as previously very little. Mashallah I have also noticed that there are alot of religous Somalian brothers that a very involved in the local mosque since they moved here. They regularly lead prayer and taraweh/tahajjud in Ramadan and also have helped with Islamic events in my area. Also the sisters like to wear colorful Khimar :D

Can anyone tell me more about Somalian culture?

Re: Somalian Brothers?

slot of Somali culture is mixed with Islamic Arab and indian and local customs
    Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:
    "None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

Comment

:wswrwb:

Alhamdulillah though, Somalis are cool people, and are very close knit. If a Somali in the UK does something, you'll end up hearing about it, even if you live in the States or Canada. Somalis also talk very loudly :S And if a Somali sees another Somali, they will stare and/or come up to you and start talking.
      وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَرِيبٌ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُواْ لِي وَلْيُؤْمِنُواْ بِي لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
      "And when My servants ask you (O Muhammad concerning Me, then answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright."
      Surah al-Baqarah ayah 186
      [2:186]

.:.
      .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
      Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

Comment

They like bananas.
        "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

well i think Somalian's are welcoming people in general.. at least people i know..very outgoing, opinionated and outspoken. if they don't like something about you they will tell you straight up, no such thing as beating around the bush with us...we go right through the bush actually..you get it exactly how it is =/

but generally nice people.. unless you wrong them in some way or something.

and yeah.. colourful khimars, i'm surprised you noticed that :p

If you marry into a somali family that is practicing then I believe you would be happy. i dont think theres anything very shocking/disagreeable that i think you need to be forewarned about :scratch:
          May we reach daruSalaam by His, and only His Decree
          I would die for the cause if I knew only to what degree
          My Blog

Comment

except maybe that we eat bananas with our meals ;)
            My Blog

Comment

the recitations from the somali brothers is top notch at the Somali Village masjid :D

true at talking v.loudly... especially on the Bus lol. One time a guy started talking to me and he spat all over my face lol. :vomit:
              ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
              Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

It's ''Somali'' not Somalian. :p It's okay though, you're not the only one who's made that mistake.

Some facts:
                • Somali people are loud and talk with their hands like Italians.
                • When they speak Somali they usually make faces like ''''. It doesn't necessarily mean their shocked though, lol.
                • The Somali language is heavily influenced by Arabic.
                • We're nomadic people. Even living in the West.
                • Everyday we either eat pasta or rice.
                • We don't have the letter ''p'' in our language so we say ''b'' instead. :p That's if you're a beginner in English, mostly.
                • And finally, it's easy for us to pronounce words in Arabic and to read the Quran because it's close to our language. In fact, Somali culture is very close to Yemeni culture.

:D

Comment

Originally posted by Sister-Ameena* View Post
                  It's ''Somali'' not Somalian. :p It's okay though, you're not the only one who's made that mistake.
                  it's cool when your speaking in english, its when you your speaking somali that it would sound strange :p

oh yeah, we speak fast, with a lot of body language..and it sounds like we're arguing/angry.. but we're really just telling a joke. i dont think we're necessarily louder than any other culture.. its just we're usually excited about something hence the loudness majority of the time =p

we can also be the biggest drama queens.
                  My Blog

Comment

they eat bananas with everything.

they have a lot of kids :p
                    Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

very nice people i would say...maybe i'm biased but hey it's true..no complaints alhamudlilah..they are very welcoming people and they like diversity..you'll see somali people married to so many other kinds of muslims. ummm the sisters have very upbeat but still very islamic parties alhamdulilah..we know how to get down... the brothers are good at spending :inlove: and being really nice except for when they are putting on a front :inlove: then you just and he'll stop insha'allah...we LOVE bananas ...eat it with almst everything...and ya the list goes on. :hidban:

Comment

From what I noticed....the women tend to umm 'wear the pants/trousers' at home. As in the mother tends to have the last say...especially with regards to the kids.

Out in the public, it'll look like he's the king of it all...but at home, it's quite different story.

they have a lot of kids
                        That's the best part. You'll very rarely get the 'O.M.G you have xy kids?!'....and yes that 2 digits. :p
                        "The discovery of truth is prevented more effectively, not by the false appearance of things present and which mislead into error, not directly by weakness of the reasoning powers, but by preconceived notions, opinion, and by prejudice." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by mizfissy815 View Post
                          Out in the public, it'll look like he's the king of it all...but at home, it's quite different story.
                          not from what i've seen :p
                          Screaming, But Will Never Be Heard

Comment

Originally posted by GuCcI View Post
                            not from what i've seen :p
                            trust me when i say the missus rules alot of things at home lol

Comment

Originally posted by abdusamad View Post
                              slot of Somali culture is mixed with Islamic Arab and indian and local customs
                              arabic yes, but indian no, we dont have any indian customs:S we have italian costums tho, and alot of our foods are similar with italian foods
                              yummm
                              Originally posted by zammy View Post
                              it's cool when your speaking in english, its when you your speaking somali that it would sound strange :p

oh yeah, we speak fast, with a lot of body language..and it sounds like we're arguing/angry.. but we're really just telling a joke. i dont think we're necessarily louder than any other culture.. its just we're usually excited about something hence the loudness majority of the time =p

we can also be the biggest drama queens.

lol @ drama queen that is sooo true:rotfl:

somalis are very friendly ppl, i do believe where a bit loud lol but hey its in our blood

like pipin said where nomads,

anything else ud like to know feel free to ask:D

lol, and ya we do tend to rule the household lol, its funny all the expensis and everything are paid and done by the husband, but its whatever the wife says that goes most of the time:rotfl: its pretty cute lol mashallah
                              ‎"when she is a daughter, she opens a door of jannah for her father. when she is a wife, she completes half of the deen of her husband. when she is a mother, Jannah lies under her feet. If everyone knew the status of a muslim women in islam, even men would want to be women." Sheikh Akram Nadawi

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X