Beautiful person in the mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful person in the mirror

If my colleague comes to meet me and offers me free pork, alcohol and dirty stuff to watch. I would get angry and kick him out of my room. Then I would look into the mirror and feel happy about myself being a good person who doesn't indulge in such stuff.

Now, the same colleague enters my room and secretly tells me that he has something "important" to share with me against "my competitor" in office. I would keenly ask him to sit and happily order a cup of tea, so that we both "friends" enjoy it along with the beef of our dead brother.

We both might not realize the following facts:

1. Our good deeds would be given to our competitor and his bad deeds would be put into our account on the day of judgment.

2. Our Prophet (saw) has declared Backbiting to be a GREATER sin than adultery, drinking wine and eating pork.

3. While we think of each other as "friends" now, in near future nature would fill our hearts with hatred against each others, giving a chance to other people to ridicule our sins and flaws in our personality.

But this time I wouldn't find an ugly person in the mirror, because my "sense of guilt" has got used to this sin and doesn't consider it bad anymore.

May Allah (swt) guide people like me so that they don't fool themselves by feeling good about their sins.
    Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

Re: Beautiful person in the mirror

:jkk:
    "If you have burned the Jews, why don't you give a piece of Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to Israel. Our question is, if you have committed this huge crime, why should the innocent nation of Palestine pay for this crime?"

http://muslimwiki.com/mw/images/thum...Palestine2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Submit To Peace View Post
      2. Our Prophet (saw) has declared Backbiting to be a GREATER sin than adultery, drinking wine and eating pork.
      I didn't know this, thanks for the post :)

Comment

what exactly constitues backbiting?

Comment

Originally posted by TroubledBrother View Post
          what exactly constitues backbiting?
          Saying anything about a person (true or untrue) while they are not there that they would not want you to say

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
            Saying anything about a person (true or untrue) while they are not there that they would not want you to say
            Ok so lets say someone says to you what's wrong your crying/upset/angry...
            would you explain to the person the events or reason?

Or would you just say nothing?

Comment

Ok so lets say someone says to you what's wrong your crying/upset/angry...
              would you explain to the person the events or reason?

Or would you just say nothing?
              If it involves talking badly about the person who had made me angry/upset then no. I'm not sure if simply stating the facts would be considered backbiting :S

I heard a story about how once one of the Prophet pbuh's wives was talking about a woman (not in a bad way) and to describe who she was talking about she made a hand gesture to show the height of the woman as she was quite short, and the Prophet pbuh told her not to as even that was backbiting.

Comment

Originally posted by x--x View Post
                If it involves talking badly about the person who had made me angry/upset then no. I'm not sure if simply stating the facts would be considered backbiting :S

I heard a story about how once one of the Prophet pbuh's wives was talking about a woman (not in a bad way) and to describe who she was talking about she made a hand gesture to show the height of the woman as she was quite short, and the Prophet pbuh told her not to as even that was backbiting.
                hmm so it's best just to stay quiet then ..

Comment

:jkk: nice post
                  "Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you." Hadhrat Ali-Ibn-Talib (RadiAllaah Anhu)
                  Shan-e-Aisha

Comment

^JazakAllah khair everyone for the kind words of encouragement.

hmm so it's best just to stay quiet then ..
                    Brother, it is best to stay quiet only if there is no practical benefit of mentioning a person's faults to another person, and it only ruins his reputation. BUT if you know that the person whom you are talking to can/is in the position of making a 'positive' difference then it is good to sincerely mention it to him.

For example. Telling a father that his child uses abusive language is different than telling his colleague about it. Because, the father is responsible for his child and knows his psychology and the right way to teach him with wisdom and at time strictly, but a third person is neither responsible for the child nor he knows how to stop him from abusing.

Similarly, telling an employer about a dishonest employee is not backbitting if the employee is not willing to listen to any advice and persists in cheating the customers. Because the employee is violating the rights of the customers and ruining the reputation of the organization, hence needs to be taught politely or punished if he doesn't listen to polite advices.

I hope it is clear now.
                    Last edited by Submit To Peace; 06-07-09, 08:39 AM.
                    Read not to contradict and confute, not to believe and take for granted, not to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider. Inhale positive, exhale negative

Comment

Jazakh'Allah.

Comment

Working...
                      X