Alcohol in medicine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol in medicine.

Salamwalakium Brothers and Sisters. I have one quick question. :)

I get mouth ulcers sometimes :( and I was wondering if I can use creams on them if they contain alcohol. I am wondering because the ulcers are on your lips and is it considered consuming alcohol if it is touching your lips?

Without the cream the ulcers can last upto 2 weeks and are very painful but go away after 3 days with the cream.

Many thanks for any inofrmation :)

Re: Alcohol in medicine.

The alcohol used in medicines is often 'denatured' or 'denat' which means it is void of the effect that consuming alcohol has.

Also I believe in Islam, for medicinal purposes it should not be an issue.

Someone more knowledgeable will insha'Allah provide some daleel (proof)

Comment

Is the alcohol intoxicating? (For it to be intoxicating it has to be ethanol or a very similar compound).

If not then no problem.

Originally posted by NewParent View Post
      The alcohol used in medicines is often 'denatured' or 'denat' which means it is void of the effect that consuming alcohol has.
      I don't believe that's true. Denat. Ethanol is still intoxicating - but it's been mixed with nasty chemicals that mean if you drink it it will either taste so so horrible that you won't drink it or it is toxic.

If it is denatured, then ask yourself - is it necessary that you use it to cure yourself? And what is the main purpose of your ingesting it.

If the answer is that you find it necessary, then no problem.
      ...sermons from this minbar come with tongue planted quite firmly in cheek.

"Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need -
      a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends,
      worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you,
      a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear,
      and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing."

-- Jerome K. Jerome
      (Three Men in a Boat)

Comment

Originally posted by Joha View Post
        Is the alcohol intoxicating? (For it to be intoxicating it has to be ethanol or a very similar compound).

If not then no problem.

I don't believe that's true. Denat. Ethanol is still intoxicating - but it's been mixed with nasty chemicals that mean if you drink it it will either taste so so horrible that you won't drink it or it is toxic.

If it is denatured, then ask yourself - is it necessary that you use it to cure yourself? And what is the main purpose of your ingesting it.

If the answer is that you find it necessary, then no problem.
        For mouth ulcers, I'm guessing it's Bonjela, and it wouldn't be ingested, tiny absorption by the gums may occur.

You could use 'Clove Oil' instead, but it stings like crazy!! for the first few seconds.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X