.لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

(Ibn Taymiyyah)
    www.cage.ngo
    www.hhugs.org.uk

Comment

Re: Rapper turned muslim

One of the most well known rapper turned muslim is Mos Def.

Source

Mos Def, however, represents arguably the first time that an artist, solidly wedded to the orthodoxy of the religion, has stepped into mainstream popularity with a complete, well-articulated Islamic message as part and parcel of that popularity.

Born Dante Smith in 1974, the 27-year-old Brooklyn, N.Y., native first learned the importance of Islam from his father, who was a member of the Nation of Islam before becoming an active member in the community of Imam Warithdeen Muhammad (the son of Nation of Islam founder Elijah Muhammad who brought the Nation of Islam into orthodoxy in 1976).

Raised by his mother in Brooklyn, across the river from his father's home in New Jersey, Mos didn't receive a formal introduction to Islam until adolescence.

"I got my first exposure to Islam when I was 13," says Mos. "My dad taught me how to make wudhu [the ritual ablution Muslims perform before prayer]."

It wasn't for another six years, when he was 19, that he took his shahada, the Muslim declaration of faith. He'd gotten there by reading and personal reflection and after getting to know other Muslim rappers, like Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Q-Tip of the group A Tribe Called Quest.Since then, Islam has been the cornerstone of Mos' life and of his socially and spiritually themed music.

"You're not gonna get through life without being worshipful or devoted to something," says Mos. "You're either devoted to your job, or to your desires. So the best way to spend your life is to try to be devoted to prayer, to Allah."

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X