Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I were to convert to Islam, would I have to wear a hijab?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were to convert to Islam, would I have to wear a hijab?

Hi everyone. If I were to convert to Islam, would I have to wear a hijab? I am a woman and my family would likely get very angry at me if they knew that I was a practicing Muslim. I may very well choose to convert to Islam but I don't know for sure yet. So, I ask, is it required that someone in my shoes wear a hijab?

Re: If I were to convert to Islam, would I have to wear a hijab?

gradually. (i'll let someone else elaborate...)
    The bottom statement is true
    The top statement is false

Comment

peace,

the first thing which God requires is to believe in Him and His messenger.

i will advice you that u convert/revert to islam first. later u can think about hijab. hijab is not as important as faith in God, prayers, etc.

let not hijab be an obstacle in your path towards God and paradise.

once u become muslimah and starts practicing islam & meeting ur muslim sisters, the desire to wear hijab will come naturally on u (insha'allah).

Comment

Originally posted by ahmed_indian View Post
        peace,

the first thing which God requires is to believe in Him and His messenger.

i will advice you that u convert/revert to islam first. later u can think about hijab. hijab is not as important as faith in God, prayers, etc.

let not hijab be an obstacle in your path towards God and paradise.

once u become muslimah and starts practicing islam & meeting ur muslim sisters, the desire to wear hijab will come naturally on u (insha'allah).
        Hmmm, ok. Thanks!

Comment

Yes dont let hijab stop u, although you are commanded by Allah to wear it and it is a sin not to, atleast you wont burn in hellfire eternally if you follow islam but not wear hijab.

Gradually inshallah
          Signature:
          O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliyâ’ ( protectors, helpers), they are but Auliyâ’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Auliyâ’), then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allâh guides not those people who are the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust). 5:51

Comment

Originally posted by OUmmah View Post
            Yes dont let hijab stop u, although you are commanded by Allah to wear it and it is a sin not to, atleast you wont burn in hellfire eternally if you follow islam but not wear hijab.

Gradually inshallah
            So one can follow Islam and not wear the hijab but not burn in Hell? How do I know which sins will send me to Hell and which ones won't?

Comment

Originally posted by Holly3278 View Post
              Hmmm, ok. Thanks!
              Modesty is not just in Islam, but also in Christianity and Judaism. Read this, http://www.olrl.org/virtues/modcrus.shtml and then search on Christianity and the veil.

Hanifa
              I didn't "REVERT" - I EVOLVED
              Those to whom we gave Scripture before it believe in the Quran. They say, ‘we believe in it!’ when it is recited to them; 'verily, all of it is the Truth from our Lord. Indeed, even before it we have been Muslims .’ Quran 28:52-53

Comment

Originally posted by hanifa View Post
                Modesty is not just in Islam, but also in Christianity and Judaism. Read this, http://www.olrl.org/virtues/modcrus.shtml and then search on Christianity and the veil.

Hanifa
                I think that the web page is either broken or is very slow. I am on a DSL connection and it said it was waiting for the web site to respond for a good 20-30 seconds which is very abnormal for a DSL connection.

Also, I know that modesty is in Christianity and Judaism as well. I already practice a certain degree of modesty. I do not wear a hijab though.

I would like to know how I can know which sins will send me to Hell and which ones won't.

Comment

Yes, why do you think nuns wear the hijab, its nothing new
                  Signature:
                  O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Auliyâ’ ( protectors, helpers), they are but Auliyâ’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Auliyâ’), then surely he is one of them. Verily, Allâh guides not those people who are the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers and unjust). 5:51

Comment

Originally posted by OUmmah View Post
                    Yes, why do you think nuns wear the hijab, its nothing new
                    Nuns don't wear a hijab, they wear a habit. And not all nuns wear a habit either. Not all of them even cover their heads. Many of them are dressed in what we Americans would call "street clothes".

Comment

I think that the web page is either broken or is very slow. I am on a DSL connection and it said it was waiting for the web site to respond for a good 20-30 seconds which is very abnormal for a DSL connection.

Also, I know that modesty is in Christianity and Judaism as well. I already practice a certain degree of modesty. I do not wear a hijab though.

I would like to know how I can know which sins will send me to Hell and which ones won't.
                      no Muslim can know this, because Allah forgives whatever sins He wills for whatever reason He wills.

For example: a prostitute gave water to a dog that was dying from thirst. because of this Allah forgave all her sins and she went to heaven

another example: a pious woman lived a very good Islamic life, obeying all Allah's commands, except one thing: she locked up a cat and let it starve to death. She went to hell because of this. If she'd either fed the cat, or let it go free to find its own food, she would not have gone to hell.

(the exampes come from quotes of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: (ahadeeth) I didn't just make them up off the top of my head!)

This shows that just one sin can send you to hell and just one good deed can send you to heaven BUT only Allah knows if and when that is the case. It is NOT the case that sin x is okay and won't send you to hell. ANY sin could potentially send you to hell (if Allah wills it) and good deeds and other things can potentially get all your sins forgiven (if Allah wills it). Allah is the absolute perfect judge, so any decision of whether to forgive sins or send someone to hell for them is 100% fair.

It is said that on judgement day, there will be two kinds of people, sinners and repentant sinners. If you don't repent from sins Allah *may* forgive them anyway because of good deeds (except for shirk (associating partners with Allah), that can only be forgiven through repentance) but there are no guarantees. And there are conditions for repentance to be accepted. SO it is much much better to be a repentant sinner than an unrepentant sinner on judgement day. There is no such thing as a person who is free from sin, other than the Prophets (as) so as you (or anyone else reading it!) are not a prophet, then the advice is to be a repentent sinner on judgement day,

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                        no Muslim can know this, because Allah forgives whatever sins He wills for whatever reason He wills.

For example: a prostitute gave water to a dog that was dying from thirst. because of this Allah forgave all her sins and she went to heaven

another example: a pious woman lived a very good Islamic life, obeying all Allah's commands, except one thing: she locked up a cat and let it starve to death. She went to hell because of this. If she'd either fed the cat, or let it go free to find its own food, she would not have gone to hell.

(the exampes come from quotes of the Prophet Muhammad :saw: (ahadeeth) I didn't just make them up off the top of my head!)

This shows that just one sin can send you to hell and just one good deed can send you to heaven BUT only Allah knows if and when that is the case. It is NOT the case that sin x is okay and won't send you to hell. ANY sin could potentially send you to hell (if Allah wills it) and good deeds and other things can potentially get all your sins forgiven (if Allah wills it). Allah is the absolute perfect judge, so any decision of whether to forgive sins or send someone to hell for them is 100% fair.

It is said that on judgement day, there will be two kinds of people, sinners and repentant sinners. If you don't repent from sins Allah *may* forgive them anyway because of good deeds (except for shirk (associating partners with Allah), that can only be forgiven through repentance) but there are no guarantees. And there are conditions for repentance to be accepted. SO it is much much better to be a repentant sinner than an unrepentant sinner on judgement day. There is no such thing as a person who is free from sin, other than the Prophets (as) so as you (or anyone else reading it!) are not a prophet, then the advice is to be a repentent sinner on judgement day,
                        Hmmm, do you think Allah would understand my situation about not being able to wear my hijab and be merciful to me about it?

Comment

So one can follow Islam and not wear the hijab but not burn in Hell? How do I know which sins will send me to Hell and which ones won't?
                          That's not quite the interpretation you should make. What is more important at this stage? Believing in Allah, purifying yourself, getting the prayer right, fasting Ramadan, paying due charity or wearing the veil? Everything has a stage and a level of knowledge and commitment. The prophet asked the rhetorical questions, "Do you know what Allah's worshipper owe Allah?" and "... what Allah owes his worshippers?"

a) That they worship nothing beside Allah.
                          b) That He will forbid the fire to anyone who does not worship others besides Allah.

This is a very important hadeeth. Do you know what is counted as worshipping others besides Allah? It is the extent of your knowledge (and the diligence you have in discovering it) that determines whether you meet your duty and receive the appropriate reward.

Another hadeeth mentions the issue of not pushing your questions too far, lest Allah makes obligatory on you what you recieve in answer.

If you want to learn about hijab and feel yourself ready to accept its challenge, we can and will give you the in depth discussion on the subject.

Or you can wait.

La ilaha Illa Allah - there is No God except Allah - and knowing Muhammad (May Allah raise him to the highest station) was/is His Messenger, weigh much more heavily at this stage.

Hanifa
                          I didn't "REVERT" - I EVOLVED
                          Those to whom we gave Scripture before it believe in the Quran. They say, ‘we believe in it!’ when it is recited to them; 'verily, all of it is the Truth from our Lord. Indeed, even before it we have been Muslims .’ Quran 28:52-53

Comment

Hi everyone. If I were to convert to Islam, would I have to wear a hijab? I am a woman and my family would likely get very angry at me if they knew that I was a practicing Muslim. I may very well choose to convert to Islam but I don't know for sure yet. So, I ask, is it required that someone in my shoes wear a hijab?
                            there are many rules in Islam, and we have to follow all of them... does a new Muslim have to give up alcohol? Yes. Bacon? Yes Does a new Muslim have to start learning how to pray? Yes

However, because for most reverts starting to live an Islamic lifestyle is an overwhelming lifestyle change, we don't advise that you try to do everything, 100%, overnight. For example many revert sisters don't wear hijab straight away, but work their way up to it as they gain confidence. E.g. starting by wearing a western style scarf that doesn't cover the ears or neck, and then increasing how much their scarf covers gradually - to get used to the idea. Same with other rules, some things you have to give up or take on gradually, because trying to do it all straight away is too overwhelming and can lead to you feeling burned out in a short time!!!

So, if you convert to Islam, you should pace yourself with lifestyle changes, do it in a way as to make them permanent changes that will stay with you. Everyone is different about how much they can take on at one time. Allah knows whether someone is genuinely feeling overwhelmed or if they are just being lazy or reluctant to follow the rules of Islam. And even if a new revert is feeling reluctant to follow rules, perhaps this is something that can be worked on by asking Allah's help and also simply by reading about Islam and understanding why we have rules and why we should follow them. Anyone who expects new Muslims to go from taking the shahada to perfectly practicing overnight was born into the religion and has little (if any) experience of helping new reverts!!!

I will give you the same advice as was given to me by a Muslim brother, when I was thinking that I wanted to convert to Islam, but was unsure because of (list of rules I wasn't sure about here).... he told me "don't worry about it, just pray!" - bottom line is, if you believe in One God (Allah) and that Muhammad :saw: is his messenger and the Qur'an is the word of Allah, then you should convert to Islam and worry about following the rules afterwards. If you believe all that, understanding that you have to do what Allah says to do, follows logically! And if you pray to Allah to give you the ability to follow the rules without difficulty, then Allah will help you inshaAllah!!! That's what I did, and the rules that were making me hesitate about becoming Muslim, looking back now my worries about them seem SO SILLY and these things are non issues for me now and have been for years (I converted over 6 years ago now).... so MASHAALLAH to the brother who gave me that sincere advice!!!!! So I hope the same advice will help you inshaAllah.

There is a sub forum for new Muslims, run by other new (and not so new any more!) Muslims which is full of advice about coping with the lifestyle changes and other issues faced by new Muslims.

Comment

Hmmm, do you think Allah would understand my situation about not being able to wear my hijab and be merciful to me about it?
                              you can't rely on that kind of thing. But please read my last post about anxieities of new reverts and people who are thinking of becoming Muslim, because trust me, I SO understand how you feel as I was in the same situation before I became Muslim!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X