Natural remedies for eczema?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural remedies for eczema?

I've got an eczema problem due to an allergy. I know exactly what the allergy is but its hard to avoid the allergen. I also get Anaphylactic Shock, but I try to control the situation before that kicks off- Alhamdulillah.

I mainly get eczema on my hands usually its ok but recently its been getting quite inflamed, red, itchy, irritating, sometimes parts of my hand gets swollen and a pus type liquid comes out, then my skin cracks up and and just moving my hand is very painful.

I've tried all the steroid creams in the past, there's one that I was using called Eumovate but I haven't used it for a while. I'm sick of this nasty medication and want to try something herbal.

PS. when the eczema flares up I avoid getting into contact with washing up liquid and perfume. I use Dove soap, I'm not allergic to soaps.

- I only use products suitable for sensitive skin that do not contain perfume

Any ideas help?
    Last edited by Zebunissa; 01-05-09, 05:57 PM.
    "Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you." Hadhrat Ali-Ibn-Talib (RadiAllaah Anhu)
    Shan-e-Aisha

Re: Natural remedies for eczema?

Originally posted by Zebunissa View Post
    I've got an eczema problem due to an allergy. I know exactly what the allergy is but its hard to avoid the allergen. I also get Anaphylactic Shock, but I try to control the situation before that kicks off- Alhamdulillah.

I mainly get eczema on my hands usually its ok but recently its been getting quite inflamed, red, itchy, irritating, sometimes parts of my hand gets swollen and a pus type liquid comes out, then my skin cracks up and and just moving my hand is very painful.

I've tried all the steroid creams in the past, there's one that I was using called Eumovate but I haven't used it for a while. I'm sick of this nasty medication and want to try something herbal.

PS. when the eczema flares up I avoid getting into contact with washing up liquid and perfume. I use Dove soap, I'm not allergic to soaps.

- I only use products suitable for sensitive skin that do not contain perfume

Any ideas help?
    Have you tried coal tar soap?
    I took the road less traveled...where the heck am I? :scratch:

Comment

had this a few weeks ago

head and shoulders shampoo (or any other dandruff shampoo with zinc pyrithione in it) gets rid of eczema

cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol (its halaal, you can't drink the stuff) helps the itch subside as well
      "The Jew cries out as he strikes you."

Remove matzo

Comment

I am reading about natural remedies and the site says that cold ice pack will help with toning down the itching...it says to stop the itching first, then treat the eczema..or you can dip a cotton ball in cold milk and apply to the area for 3 to 4 minutes

I was also reading about neem oil as a good way to help with the eczema..

I mean I don't know you can try different methods from moisturizing with different products..changes in diet..like avoiding dairy..

Comment

1rst I've heard :confused: about this :
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8015995.stm

In the long run steroids will make any condition
          worse.
          Natural bee's wax mixed with shae butter is
          excellent for dry elbows/feet etc.
          There is a Lebanese skin cream called Rose-Cream,
          it's quite good.

"When authority is given to those who do not deserve it,
          wait for the Day of Judgment."

Comment

Go to your local health shop, you can buy chickweed (dry herb). You boil it, sieve it and use it in your bath.

There is also a cream called Hope's Relief: http://www.hopesrelief.co.uk/ it is brilliant, it may seem expensive but that is because of the high level of homoepathic remedies in it.

Best thing though is to visit a homeopath, for an individual assessment and treatment :up:

Try changing your washing up powder, Fairy non bio or Ecover are the best to use (mildest) and fabric conditioner = Ecover, or don't use it at all, even better!

Moisturise your skin after everything. Keep a bowl of water near your radiators to help keep the humidity in the house, a major cause of dry skin in recent years! (radiators + double glazing = no ventilation or moisture in the air!)
            What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
            Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
            Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
            but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
            but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
            We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
            freedom from slavery to other than the One,
            Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
            and a horizon that extends to the next life,
            Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

I have a paper with honey remedies.....says for eczema and other skin infections apply honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts on the affected parts

Comment

my grandmother used to use mehndi it does work but it takes a few week and man it stinks
                ‎"Listen with the ears of tolerance. See through the eyes of compassion. Speak with the language of love."
                Rumi RahimuAllah.

Comment

My mummy has skin infection on both her feet, poor thing.

shes had it for over 25 years, so we've been through lists of medications.

I would advise you not to return to the steroid creams if you can avoid it, it really thins the skin, and just provides releif from the symptoms superficially.

This stuff is very good:

http://www.naturesense.co.uk/natures...a/prod_18.html

or Nelsons Calendula cream, can be bought from Boots can also provide relief.

Oilatum Wash/Cream really helped mum, maybe you could ask you Dr.

Also Dermol 500/600 was pretty good as a wash/lotion

As a Moisture, the standard Aqueous Cream is good

Oh and if you have an Aloe Vera palnt, get one stem....cut in down the middle, scoop the gooey stuff out and and put that on your skin, and wrap with a dressing. It used to really provide releief for her from the redness and itching.

Also, if you can be aware of what you eat....with some people, certain foods can make the ezcema worse, with my mum its seafood ect. Maybe its something you can talk over with your homeopath/dermtologist!

I understand how diffficult it must be for you, Insha'Allah hope you get relief soon sis
                  وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

JazakAllah Khairan for your replies, it was really helpful :)

I need to get rid of the allergy its such a hassle. Its an auto-immune reaction to substance X [causing the eczema] GP can't do nothing and dermatologist can't do nothing! I've had the allergy patch-testing done, blood tests and many more so I know what the underlying problem is.

Dermatologist prescribes me Immuno-suppressants, I've tried two different drugs - I'm roughly on those for 7 months a year. I've been using them for 2 years, they did suppress all the symptoms but they have caused too many side-effects e.g infections, constant nausea, constant vomiting and liver damage. Last year they stopped the medication due to liver damage.

I did not get any Anaphylactic shock and rarely any eczema whilst taking the Immuno-Suppressants. But now that I'm not taking anything I will at risk of getting the allergic reactions.

Dermatologist says they can't do nothing for me and I am more of an expert than them, they tell me that I should know what to do. Its really not their fault, they can't do anything is because its a 'rare allergy to a rare substance' so I'm considered to be a "freak"

They say I can take the Immuno-Suppressants again this year or I can have things the hard way= everytime I get Anaphylactic Shock then I take 1 tablet of Antihistamine a day. Plus a weeks course of oral sterioids 6 tablets [5mg] - 3 times a day. In the past I was almost on steriods every week and one time I was put on a months course of steroids. I find both options to be disgusting hence I'm now opting for herbal treatment.

My other allergies which are a minor issue: Contact-allergy dermatitis to Nickel. Allergy to some ingredients in skincare products/cosmetics - one of them is Linalool.

I will get a food allergy test done just to be on the safe side, InshaAllah

I've been to see a Naturopath and she is sorting me out - starting off with a diet plan to get rid of the tiredness, then detox, then a nutritional programme. So my food is being dealt with. I'm not seeing her for a while, when I go back I'll ask her for some eczema creams.

I've not used any of these remedies before. All I've tried is hand cream for sensitive skin from Boots the skin heals but the eczema returns due to substance X.

In the mean-time I'll try out some of these remedies.
                    Last edited by Zebunissa; 02-05-09, 07:52 PM.
                    "Meet people in such a manner that if you die, they should weep for you, and if you live, they should long for you." Hadhrat Ali-Ibn-Talib (RadiAllaah Anhu)
                    Shan-e-Aisha

Comment

Has your dermatologist advised you about whether you should do wudu or not? Because frequent washing makes some kinds of eczema a lot worse.

eczema is caused by a defective gene which results in the skin barrier being washed away too easily, and treatment of eczema should revolve around rebuiding and then protecting the skin's natural barrier. the line of eczema producs called sebamed help to rebuild the skin's barrier. I have had eczema nearly all my life and this stuff works very well mashaAllah, better than the steroid creams ever did and they do not contain drugs, they are like the emollient creams prescribed for eczema but they build up the skin barrier as well as moisturising.

Once the skin's barrier has washed away, then all kinds of stuff can get into your skin, and this can trigger immune system responses, causing allergies to develop and triggering existing allergies.

Even most hypoallergenic/sensitive skin products are not suitable for someone with bad eczema to wash with, they need to be products specifically designed for eczema, and you should limit how often you wash your hands (hence the question whether you should do wudu - if you have a medical condition that is made worse by washing in water, you should do tayammun instead of wudu - a dermatologist can tell you if its a good idea to wash your hands an extra five times a day or not)

I don't know whether your dermatologist has discussed any of this stuff with you, if its all old news to you then fine :) just ignore my posts :) but some people have eczema for a long time and are not told about the importance of information like this, and are not told the right way to use steroid creams etc, because they should not be used continuously with little or no apparent benefit, they should be used as a short term treatment and it should work effectively and be replaced by treatment aimed at repairing and maintaining the skin's natural barrier.
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Nope the dermatologist has never mentioned anything regarding frequent washing or wudu?

I don't think that is related to my case but I will ask them to make sure, InshaAllah.
                        Shan-e-Aisha

Comment

I forgot to mention that I've already been given a diagnosis by the dermatologist, I've fully researched it - I know everything about it - I've had it for almost 3yrs now.

They know exactly what the problem is but they can't do anything.
                          Shan-e-Aisha

Comment

if you didn't ask about wudu, then it probably wouldn't occur to a non Muslim dermatologist to mention it (dunno if yours was Muslim or not) last time I saw the dermatologist I asked specifically about wudu.
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]
                            [CENTER]
                            [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                            [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

This may so very very strange but this is
                              what my pediatrician recommended for my daughter
                              who has Eczema....

Take a Plain Panty hose
                              and fill it with dry oatmeal
                              Quaker Oats is what I use
                              and wrap it around the
                              tub faucet let the water
                              drip into the Panty hose
                              and you will see the
                              water turn icky with
                              oatmeal emollients
                              take a teaspoon
                              of Olive oil and drop
                              it in....then hop in!!!
                              this worked instantly
                              for my daughter

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X