Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents

When our fathers irritate us

An old man was sitting in the courtyard of his house along with his son who had received a high education. Suddenly a crow perched on a wall of the house. The father asked the son: What is this? The son replied: It is a crow. After a little while the father again asked the son: What is this? The son said: It is a crow.

After a few minutes the father asked his son the third time: What is this? The son said: Father, I have just now told you that this is a crow. After a little while the old father again asked his son the fourth time: what is this? By this time some statement of irritation was felt in the son's tone when he rebuffed his father: Father! It is a crow, a crow. A little after the father again asked his son: What is this? This time the son replied to his father with a vein of temper. Father: You are always repeating the same question, although I have told you so many times that it is a crow. Are you not able to understand this?

The father went to his room and came back with an old diary. Opening a page he asked his son to read what was written. What the son read were the following words written in the diary:

'Today my little son was sitting with me in the courtyard, when a crow came there. My son asked me twenty-five times what it was and I told him twenty-five times that it was a crow and I did not at all feel irritated. I rather felt affection for my innocent child.'

The father then explained to his son the difference between a father's and a son's attitude. While you were a little child you asked me this question twenty-five times and I felt no irritation in replying to the question twenty-five times and when today I asked you the same question only five times, you felt irritated, annoyed and impatient with me.

Allah mentions in Surah Bani-Israil 17:23-24

And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.

And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: "My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small."

The mother's hands

My mother was visiting, she asked me to go shopping with her because she needed a new dress. I don't normally like to go shopping and I'm not a patient person, but we set off for the mall together. We visited nearly every store that carried ladies' dresses, and my mother tried on dress after dress, rejecting them all. As the day wore on, I grew weary.

Finally, at our last stop, my mother tried on a lovely blue three-piece dress. The blouse had a bow at the neckline, and as I stood in the dressing room with her, I watched as she tried, with much difficulty, to tie the bow. Her hands were so badly crippled from arthritis that she couldn't do it. Immediately, my impatience gave way to an overwhelming wave of compassion for her. I turned away to try and hide the tears that welled up involuntarily. Regaining my composure, I turned back to tie the bow for her.

Our shopping trip was over, but the event was etched indelibly in my memory. For the rest of the day, my mind kept returning to that moment in the dressing room and to the vision of my mother's hands trying to tie that bow. Those loving hands that had fed me, bathed me, dressed me, caressed and comforted me, and, most of all, prayed for me, were now touching me in the most remarkable manner.

Later in the evening, I went to my mother's room, took her hands in mine, kissed them and, much to her surprise, told her that to me they were the most beautiful hands in the world.

I can only pray that some day my hands, and my heart, will have earned such a beauty of their own.

Author unknown
    The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
    (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
    In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Re: Parents

:jkk:

really a valuable lessons to learn. WE have to share these stories with our younger generation and for us too.

Comment

wa iyyakum^^
      The enforcement of Muslim Brotherhood is the greatest social ideal of Islam. On it was based the Prophet's (SAW) sermon on his last pilgrimage, and Islam cannot be completely realized until this ideal is achieved. '
      (Shaikh Maulana Muhammad Yusuf)
      In Lam Takun Ghaadiban Annee Falaa Ubaalee...

Comment

Al Ma`mun said:

“I have never seen anyone more kind to his father than al Fadl Ibn Yahya’. His kindness reached the highest level when they were in prison. His father used to make wudhu only with hot water. Once, on a cold night, the prison warden stopped supplying them with firewood; so when his father went to sleep, al Fadl filled a container with water and held it close to the fire of the lamp to heat it up. He stayed in that position, awake ’til dawn, so that his father could make wudhu with hot water; so he went through all that out of kindness to his father.”

al Mannawi’s “Birr al Waalidayn”

"How often we cry over Fate, but abundant good lies just behind it. O soul, it is goodness, even if it arrives after a while."

Foulana blog

Comment

The first story is fair enough but I know plenty of parents who'd get a bit miffed themselves if their 5 year old kept asking the same question 5 times lol. I am getting used to my parents having short term memory problems now but alhamdullilah so far it hasn't caused any serious issues. I can tell you some funny stories about some of my mum's memory lapses- keeps the house interesting I guess:p
          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

subhan'Allah

Sis, this thread reminds of the story of the mother who had one eye and was the cause of embarrassment for her son :( We should always respect our mothers no matter what. Jannat lies at the feet of the mother :)

Comment

Mere Aaqa :saw: ne farmaya kar tu khidmat Maa di,
              Je tu Ka'bah tak na chaavein, tak le soorat Maa di.

My Master :saw: ordered Serve your Mother
              If you wish to see the Ka'bah, just gaze at your Mothers face.
              Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Originally posted by Medievalist View Post

Mere Aaqa :saw: ne farmaya kar tu khidmat Maa di,
                Je tu Ka'bah tak na chaavein, tak le soorat Maa di.

My Master :saw: ordered Serve your Mother
                If you wish to see the Ka'bah, just gaze at your Mothers face.
                Are these lyrics by from the Qalam read by Shahbaz Qamaar Faridi called Maa Di Shaan by any chance? If not then the lyrics are really similar :p

Comment

Al Haaj Abdur Rauf Roofi **thumbs up**
                  Rajab is a month of cultivation, Shaban is month of irrigating the fields, and the month of Ramadhan is a month of reaping and harvesting.”

Comment

Thanks for the first part; I've been trying hard.
                    Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
                    O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
                    We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X